Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeloader for gamecube

Options
  • 01-06-2005 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be in the States in a few weeks and i would like to be able to pick up a few gamecube games on the cheap.
    Am i right in assuming Freeloader can play pretty much any game?

Also, do i need an NTSC compatible TV to be able to play these games?
    I'll be playing them through a SCART connection if that helps.

Killian

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

freeloader works with practically everything apart from a few obscure japanese vampire dating sims and the like.

the games should work fine on your TV if it is an RGB connection you are using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

It's the standard gamecube connector(i assume) with the red/yellow/white connections, and i'm connecting these to a scart adapter, which is going into the scart socket on my tv.

So you think this'll be ok?

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah that should be fine

Any suggestions for good games?

I saw something about Ikaruga on another thread and it looks like it could be good.
    Is that a Jap import or could i pick it up cheaply somewhere else?

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The red/yellow/white connentions is not a RGB scart connection. Depending on the compatability of your TV you might only get a black & white image.

Even if your TV works ok I advise you get a RGB cable as it will give a much better picture.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The red/yellow/white connentions is not a RGB scart connection. Depending on the compatability of your TV you might only get a black & white image.

Even if your TV works ok I advise you get a RGB cable as it will give a much better picture.

So even if the red/yellow/white cable is plugged into my scart input ( via an adapter ), it may not work properly?

If that's the case, should i get this ?

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

K!LL!@N wrote:
    So even if the red/yellow/white cable is plugged into my scart input ( via an adapter ), it may not work properly?
    Yep, all the adapter does is allow the composite signal to go through your scart plug. It is still a composite signal.
    K!LL!@N wrote:
    If that's the case, should i get this ?
    That would be perfect.

Cheers Ciaran,

I'll probably order the rgb cable and freeloader at the same time.

Unless someone knows where i can get them cheaper? :D

Killian

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should definitely get a scart lead. I upgraded all my consoles to scart about 5 months ago. The jump in image quality is amazing. It's like a whole new console.

AS for buying games you might have a hard time finding ikaruga since it's a bit of a rarity. I'd also advise not buying anything until you go to america and get the games there. Even with sales tax they are much cheaper over there. I'd also advise raiding the second hand PS1 games. I got load of excellent rare games for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I had a Japanese console and used the latest v1.06 freeloader to play PAL games. It did have issues with some games, the most disappointing for me being Mario Kart Doubledash. Check out this compatibility chart before buying anything:
    http://www.choddo.com/freeloader
    The strange thing about the chart is that Mario Doubledash works fine with the older, out-of-date Freeloader v1.04 which is no longer sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

We got Freeloader in work to play the japanese versions of Ikaruga and Soul Calibur 2. Then our Gamecube died completely. Now I'm not saying the Freeloader killed our Gamecube (I'd say our CONSTANT PLAYING for EIGHT HOURS AT A TIME did that*). I'm just saying it's made me a bit suspicious of Freeloader.

* - we also killed a widescreen TV with Ikaruga.. we kept setting the game to 'long' display and turning the TV on its side. Even though we destroyed an excellent (expensive) TV, it was definitely worth it.

Ok, scart lead seems to be the way to go.
    I'll pick one up.

That list of freeloader compatible games is quite good, thanks for that.
    It's obviously not an exhausted list, but fairly comprehensive.

I've only had a chance to look in the Gamestop in Dun Laoghaire, and they have a fairly limited supply of gamecube games.
    All seemed to be second hand and the prices were weird to say the least.

I don't have a ps1 so i won't be picking up any ps1 games.

I'd say freeloader had very little to do with your killing the gamecube, john.
    I'd imagine the 8 hours a day playing, would have done that all by itself. :eek:
    I'll be lucky to have 8 hours a week to play.

Anyone play their gamecube through a monitor?
    What would be the best way to go about doing that?
    Tv card maybe?
    Or are there VGA boxes that will let you connect the gamecube and computer and maybe have a switch between the two?

Cheers for all the help,

Killian

Advertisement