Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German

Options
  • 01-06-2005 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Lets start a German Thread anyone have any tips,

I think its best to do it in the order of the paper.

Take time with Grammar sect, never guess and watch out for obvious tricks,

For the written section make sure that it is quality over quantity, dont write much more than is asked for,

In the tape where they ask you for the problem during the second bit (the note) just write down as much german as you hear, even if u dont understand it and make sure to state the obvious answers too

for the questions in the tape on expression (how do you know he is depressed or whatever) answer as much as possible in both german and english

also answer loads of obvious stuff for the last q in the 1st comprehension and dont worry if u dont understand the whole story!

If asked to describe a person
    make sure to throw in a few adjectives like charming/friendl whatever even if if they are not mentioned in the text,just describe her personality as well as teh facts you are given ie bus driver,uniform etc. good luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

don't read the comprehension u won't have time.

Start immediately by reading the english questions. THen the german ones and use the lines to get the answer.

Practice grammar its the number one fall-down for most people. If u don't have the correct grammar u will always be docked. Nobdoy ever knows every word on the paper but u have to be smart about it. Logical guessing. I think i've laid solid foundation with the orals. I'm hoping to get the A. got B1 in mocks. i find listening drags me down a bit. sometimes that news section can be little tricky.

fest genommen - arrested.

Also the telephone call where u answer in german can be slightly tricky. I find great variation down through the years in German. some were easy while others were far more challenging. Written section is easy if u iron out your mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

in always write loads but i never bothered with grammer. i suppose ill just write and then go back and fix stuff (ill leave enogh time)
    the grammer q should be alright thouhgh

mind you after 5 years of german, i don't know any prepostions!
    going for a B or A, got 65% in mocks and didn't study

german listening is very easy, because German speakers speak very clearly.

don't forget the oral has probably brought you up a grade, becuase you hardly had any actaul converstion, it was all learnt off.

does any one else find a big difference between comp. 1 and comp.2?
    in the mocks i got 32/65 in the first and 63/65 in the second!

the style q is easy to get full marks in, but many people ignore it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

i find listening drags me down a bit. .

Same. They tend to be looking for things that aren't really stated in the question. Best to write as long and full an answer as possible. Read all the marking schemes to understand how they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

for the questions on "how do you know this" and "why do you think he is confused/annoyed etc" (i think its in the third part) ... are they to be answered FULLY in english or can you take things that the person said directly from the tape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Our teacher tells us for that part of the listening ("list the phrase that show the caller is angry/worried/hysterical etc.) that the answers canm be either in English or German... Can anyone else back me up on that? (wsa wondering about it myself.

:)

• Advertisement

Our teacher tells us for that part of the listening ("list the phrase that show the caller is angry/worried/hysterical etc.) that the answers canm be either in English or German... Can anyone else back me up on that? (wsa wondering about it myself.

yup my teacher said the'll accept either, because so many people leave it blank!!
    ich mag deutsch, aber manchmal es ist ein bischen swcherig, nein?

naja, bestimmt! So they will accept it in the LC deffo?

Oh btw, Ich wiess dass es ein bisschen komisch ist aber konnen wir vielleicht ein bisschen auf Deutsch sprechen? Mein Deutsch ist ziemlich gut und dafur habe ich es nicht so viel geubt denn meine andere Facher brauche es mehr. Kann jemand meine Grammatik korrigieren auch, und ich werde ihre grammatik korrigieren....wenn ich es machen kann....also, Tchuss

Oh btw, Ich wiess dass es ein bisschen komisch ist aber konnen wir vielleicht ein bisschen auf Deutsch sprechen? Mein Deutsch ist ziemlich gut und dafur habe ich es nicht so viel geubt denn meine andere Facher brauche es mehr. Kann jemand meine Grammatik korrigieren auch, und ich werde ihre grammatik korrigieren....wenn ich es machen kann....also, Tchuss

ja, Super! (speaks like cheesey German) Das wa(umlat!)re Prima!
    Meinen Gramatik ist sehr SEHR slecht. Ich brauche hilfe (soo wrong!)
    welche Fa(umlat)cher lernen Sie fu(umlat) die Deutcshe Prufung Schriftlife Produktion?

welche Fa(umlat)cher lernen Sie fu(umlat)r die Deutcshe Prufung Schriftlife Produktion?

If you're typing German on an english keyboard, an accepted way to do umlauts is to just add an e after the letter. EG: franzoesisch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Ich hoffe, dass mein Deutsch ist nicht so schlecht! Ach, ich habe viele Deutschen Kumpels, und ich hoffe, dass ich genug Deutsch gelernt haben!

Sieg Heil! Ich liebe Krieg, und ich liebe der Fuhrer!

:D

Hope i do ok. My grammer is pretty sh*t and will probably pull my marks don a lot. The listening is grand, i can talk german grand! Going to germany on the 22nD!!!

welche Fa(umlat)cher lernen Sie fu(umlat) die Deutcshe Prufung Schriftlife Produktion?

Ich weiss nicht genau...Um die Wahrheit zu sagen, habe ich nicht viel gemacht aber ich habe zwei Tagen frei vor meiner Deutsche Pruefung aber noch mache ich mich sorgen fuer Deutsch... ich mache zu viel Irisch jetzt und dann kann ich nicht Deutsch lernen!!! Also, als ich gesagt habe, habe ich nicht wirklich fuer das Schriftliche Producktion gelernt aber hat jemand "tips". Hoeffentlich wuerde es leicht sein....bitte..... Fuer meine "mocks" habe ich Die EU erweiterung, drogen, das rauchverbot, und auch die Themen fuer die Bildergeschichte; rassismus, fettliebigkeit, handys, und andere sachen gelernt aber ich erinnere mich nicht (is that reflexive does anyone know ??)

Was soll ich fuer die Grammatik lernen? Im allgemeinen, verliere ich punkte in diesem Abschnitt

Vielen Dank!

sich errineren an....yup tis reflexive

Fuer Angewandte Grammatik.....its impossible to predict i suppose but going by past form..
    question words: Wer/wen/wem, wofur etc
    and cases. I dont think verbs will come up at all....just me saying that though!

Shyster wrote:

Fuer Angewandte Grammatik.....its impossible to predict i suppose but going by past form..
    and cases. I dont think verbs will come up at all....just me saying that though

no no no!! I like my verbs...... :(
    Here's hoping you're wrong! :p
    Ne tips for the Schriftliche Produktion?

nope sorry, my teacher gave us a past paper as our pre so ive no idea what was in the pres that were around either....enlighten me?!

Well, I got the smoking ban, English and it's importance, Irish and it's importance, and.....something about the EU....I think... That was in the letter. The other "thing" was about safety on the roads

the Auesserungs zum Thema was linked to the text, and the other option was about people with disabilities and how we can make it easier for them to get around etc.

Hugo Reyes - you said something about not writing too much?
    I was talking to my teacher about this (I can, at times, be a bit over-zealous) and she was saying as long as it's good then it doesn't matter if you write a lot (I don't do French, but I hear that you should stick pretty strictly to the guidelines in the free write on that paper...maybe you are confusing it?)

Africa wrote:
    Ich hoffe, dass mein Deutsch ist nicht so schlecht! Ach, ich habe viele Deutschen Kumpels, und ich hoffe, dass ich genug Deutsch gelernt haben!

Sieg Heil! Ich liebe Krieg, und ich liebe der Fuhrer!

:D

Hope i do ok. My grammer is pretty sh*t and will probably pull my marks don a lot. The listening is grand, i can talk german grand! Going to germany on the 22nD!!!
    thanks for the confidence boost
    ich habe keine Deutschen Kumpels, und ein schletes Deutschen Leherin
    Spanisch ist mein wichtiger Sprache fuer das Ablschlusspruefung. ich wurde gute Noten bekommen, denn es ist so leicht, nicht als Deutsch
    (looks at grammer and cries) got 65% in mocks, didn't do grammer section

Shyster wrote:

and cases. I dont think verbs will come up at all....just me saying that though!
    apparently perfekt or passiv could come up

Well, I got the smoking ban, English and it's importance, Irish and it's importance, and.....something about the EU....I think... That was in the letter. The other "thing" was about safety on the roads

the Auesserungs zum Thema was linked to the text, and the other option was about people with disabilities and how we can make it easier for them to get around etc.

Hugo Reyes - you said something about not writing too much?
    I was talking to my teacher about this (I can, at times, be a bit over-zealous) and she was saying as long as it's good then it doesn't matter if you write a lot (I don't do French, but I hear that you should stick pretty strictly to the guidelines in the free write on that paper...maybe you are confusing it?)

apparently that makes a big difference in french
    as you can see, my grammer is appaling, i think my mock letter was 2 1/2 pages, got around a B in it? it was the EU, irish, languages, ect, that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

A general rule set by the department which sounds very silly and obvious is "if the Q is asked in german ANSWER in German, if the Q is asked in english ANSWER in english
    If you answer the question with the wrong language then the max you can get is half of the points for that question.

Also for grammar revision, look over your pic sequences and role plays as they repeat the themes in one or more of them. This will help you with the Ausserung zum themas and letters. Having done the Lc last year and repeating this year, i definatly found it to be true last year.

• Advertisement

thanks for the confidence boost
    ich habe keine Deutschen Kumpels, und ein schletes Deutschen Leherin
    Spanisch ist mein wichtiger Sprache fuer das Ablschlusspruefung isnt this just Abitur? Abitur=Leaving Cert. ich wurdeshouldnt this be mochter? gute Noten bekommen, denn es ist so leicht, nicht als Deutsch
    (looks at grammer and cries) got 65% in mocks, didn't do grammer section

I think we should post some important vocab that we think others could use...

Africa wrote:
    I think we should post some important vocab that we think others could use...
    Ja,
    Abitur is the German finishing exam
    Abschlusspruefung is "ending exam", thought it was more appropriate

no, not moechte, i will get good marks in Spanish, despite my ****ty German, im very linguistic (ah my one good subject, Spanish how i love thee)

enough about me, Vocab.
    my faves::

Hungersnot=Famine
    Armut: Poverty (not povertismus as i said in the mox)
    emmmmm (nearly cries again) emmmmm

ah sehr gut! Ich hoffe dass, du gute Noten bekommen werden!

I have loads, been doing vocab for last two days... heres a few:

erstens-Firstly
    Schliesslich-Finally
    Es stimmt, dass-its true that
    unter anderem-among other things
    Im Grunde-Basically
    geniessen-to enjoy
    entsheiden-to decide
    Meiner Meinung nach-In my opinion
    Freiheit-Freedom
    Freizeit-free time
    Heutzutage-these days
    Medialle-Medals
    beruhmte-famous
    niemals-never
    bunten-colourful
    rundfunk-radio
    spannend-exciting
    so zu sagen-so to say
    verletzt-injured(useful for the tape!)
    Berichten-reports (news..)
    zunehmen-to increase
    behindert-handicapped
    Verein-club
    freiwillig-volentary
    Dienst-service
    veil Erfolg-lots of success
    Mitgleid-member
    gefahrlich-dangerous
    Vorschriften-rules
    Erfahrung-experience
    Unfall-accident

Muchas Gracias, Sie wurden gute Noten in Deutsch bekommen, bestimmt!(word order??? :confused: )
    ein"A", ich denke!
    ooo, ooo
    my teacher said this is important
    Uberfall= raid

Imbissstuhle- snack bar (listening mocks)
    Fluchtlinger-Refugee
    Leistungsdruck- pressure to achieve
    Trinkkulture- Drinking Culture

es soll erwaehnt dass, - it should be mentioned that
    gleichzeitig - simulataneously
    zeitverschwendung - waste of time
    damals - at that time
    Ich glaube - i believe
    ich meine - i opine - not an english word but u know what i mean
    ich bin der Meinung - i am of the opinion
    Wirklich - really
    ehrlich - honestly
    Die Wahrheit - The truth
    Es gaebe viel Druck - there would be much pressure

A general rule set by the department which sounds very silly and obvious is "if the Q is asked in german ANSWER in German, if the Q is asked in english ANSWER in english
    If you answer the question with the wrong language then the max you can get is half of the points for that question.

I answered a couple of questions in the wrong language in the mocks. It's cool that they give you half the marks, because it's an easy mistake to make.

Not really if you read it.

Gute arbeit randomfella, i took a few of those down!

Kinderreich- has many kids

Ich kapiere - ich verstehe - i understand
    angucken - look at (trennbar)
    Es gefaellt mir gut - it appeals to me
    Ich freue mich sehr auf - i'm really looking forward to...

Can someother people post up some stuff. its good to see we can learn from each other

• Advertisement

ich muss gestehen =i have to admit
    ich kenne mich nicht so gut in....aus =i dont know too much about...
    Einerseits......Andererseits =on one hand, on the other
    ich schlage vor, dass wir.. =i suggest that we..
    Mein Vorschlag ist... =my suggestion is..
    Ich stimme damit... =i agree with that
    Da gebe ich dir recht =i think you're right there
    ich bin dagegen =im against that
    ich sehe nicht ein, warum.... =i dont see why...

Also it sounds good when you throw in words like "gern, naturlich, gar(nicht), also, etc" it sounds more natural...so ive been told anyway!

Advertisement