Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share BB Connection without Router?

Options
  • 01-06-2005 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to share an internet connection without using a router?

The setup would be:

Main PC, internet delivered via Irish Broadband via regular network Card.
    Main PC, internet shared out via a wireless card to a laptop with a wifi card

Is this possible? Don't worry about the details, I'm sure I'll figure it out, I just need a Yeay or Nay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yes...i've been trying to do something similar the last two days with two wirless lan cards i have....couldn't get the wireless to work but got a crossover cable and set up internet conection sharing which worked grand....

think it created an internet gateway or something

I'm ****ing clueless when it comes to networking so google for internet conection sharing and it should advise better

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Cheers, I'll let you know if I manage it.

It's not for me. If it was me, I'd just buy a router I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd recommend using a router too - as the PC doing the internet connection sharing will need to be on whenever the laptop user wants to access the internet too.
    Using ICS, just set up your wireless lan between the PC and laptop, then enable internet connection sharing on the PC - you shouldn't have to actually do much in the way of configuring it yourself, as its all MS wizard stuff. If you've got a USB key it will even let you use that to transport the settings for ICS to the laptop if you're not sure about configuring that to use ICS.

(ICS is basically a simplistic implementation of NAT - network address translation)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Stephen wrote:
    I'd recommend using a router too - as the PC doing the internet connection sharing will need to be on whenever the laptop user wants to access the internet too.
    Using ICS, just set up your wireless lan between the PC and laptop, then enable internet connection sharing on the PC - you shouldn't have to actually do much in the way of configuring it yourself, as its all MS wizard stuff. If you've got a USB key it will even let you use that to transport the settings for ICS to the laptop if you're not sure about configuring that to use ICS.

(ICS is basically a simplistic implementation of NAT - network address translation)

I can't get share the internet over to my laptop thru wireless but i can thru the crossover. Spent yesterday pulling my hair out trying to do it. Any ideas?

i just want to be able to surf the net on the laptop in the another room as i encode stuff on the desktop. If i can't get the wireless to work i'll just have to get myself a much longer crossover cable.... :(

Advertisement