Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting cut off (up?)

Options
  • 01-06-2005 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people here do when they're cut off? Beeping the horn is a little tame for me, but following the driver to their destination and slashing their tyres is rather overkill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I take a deep breath, count to 5 and then forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

laugh, thats what I usually do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

he who beeps last beeps best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I don't do anything...just slow to down so as not to crash into them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Your not really gonna achieve anything.

The only time I've ever used my horn is when I'm stopped behind someone at lights and they haven't noticed the filter go green. Then again I have only been driving 3 or 4 months!

• Advertisement

Since I bought my car over 6 months ago I've used my horn once and that was only to check if it is working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I usually keep staring at their rear view mirror, in a very stern, tut tut tut, shaking head slowly manner, (like your parents used to do when you are bold).
    They will look, they always do, I think its smugness. And then hopefully they'll remember their parents used to tell them off for acting the maggot, and then they'll feel an ickle bit guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

It really is infuriating when it happens. Good advice from Nuttzz though - stay calm, a few deep breaths and you'll be on your way again. No point in beeping or anything like that - to be honest it makes people look silly to other drivers when they look!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

have used my horn once in the past few months.
    heading down summerhill, car pulled out of rutland street and drove towards me down the wrong side of the road.
    hilarious.

someone cuts me up, ill stare at them through their window as i go past them,
    usuaully frightens the ****e out of them as the only reason theyve cut me up is that they "didnt see" me, didnt look more like ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i cant understand how anyone can only use there horn once in a couple of months. i use mine most days, well every other one at least. there are so many bad drivers out there.

• Advertisement

Chalk wrote:
    someone cuts me up, ill stare at them through their window as i go past them,
    And for those few seconds you ain't got your eyes on the road....sounds just as dangerous as cutting someone up to me tbh

tabatha wrote:
    i cant understand how anyone can only use there horn once in a couple of months. i use mine most days, well every other one at least. there are so many bad drivers out there.
    And what is beeping your horn going to achieve...nothing
    Other than scare the poor idiot into doing something even more stupid

fletch wrote:

well not really, depends.....if they are sitting at a green light when u beep they will go. and if they do something more stupid then they get charged and might think twice about doing it again!

tabatha wrote:
    well not really, depends.....if they are sitting at a green light when u beep they will go. and if they do something more stupid then they get charged and might think twice about doing it again!
    Fair enough if they haven't noticed a light turn green or summit but beeping only succeeds in intimidating nervous drivers IMO

well then why do cars have horns??? if they are intimidating then surley they woulnt have them? anyway, if people are to "nervous" then they shoulnt be driving as this is what causes a lot of accidents!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

tabatha wrote:
    well then why do cars have horns???

For going over hump-back bridges,

And when you meet nervous people on horses :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

well then why do cars have horns???

And when you're name is Boss Hogg and you need to have some on your bonnet.

prospect wrote:
    For going over hump-back bridges,

And when you meet nervous people on horses :D:D

rofl :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

tabatha wrote:

I really dislike people who excessivly use their horns. It's a last resort or a warning sign. Not to say "I'm impatient so hurry up".

I've come to the conclusion that lots of drivers are utterly unaware of what surrounds them on the road. They don't look around or ar self-absorbed. Just sheer ignorance of the other thousands of cars on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

car horns are for pointing out, not giving out.

of course these days they are used exclusively for giving out.
    I can't remember the last time I used mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fletch wrote:
    And what if everyone does absolutely nothing, and the people who are acting the maggot think their behaviour is perfectly OK and responsible? If they're honked at often enough, maybe they'll realise they're doing something wrong and cop on. That's my theory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There should be a separate "tootle" horn for reminding people at traffic lights. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Victor wrote:
    There should be a separate "tootle" horn for reminding people at traffic lights. :D

thats a good idea. A nasty horn and a "I am merely gently reminding you to pay attention to the lights" horn

I very rarely beep at people, except when they drift across lanes on a motorway! Think ive used my car horn twice in about six months!

what is a horn for but to point of to people that they are either putting themselves in danger and sometimes you or that they need to pay attention. and if its impeding your driving then it is up to you to point it out, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

fletch wrote:
    And for those few seconds you ain't got your eyes on the road....sounds just as dangerous as cutting someone up to me tbh

usually pass them in a very short space of time.
    when i said stare i meant just kind of look,
    most bikers are used to taking there eyes off the road for short periods of time,
    its generally called a "lifesaver check"

black visor and a quick lifesaver as you pass,
    not some crazy wicked witch of the west , holding level with them or anything ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Chalk wrote:
    black visor and a quick lifesaver as you pass,
    not some crazy wicked witch of the west , holding level with them or anything ;)
    Ah yes but that's easily countered with the "I'm staring intently ahead of me and can't see you I swear" look.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I'd either beep, flash the lights or do nothing, depends what mood I'm in. On some more adventurous moments, the middle finger would come in handy or the \/\/anker hand movement but its very rare for that to happen.. could be a gard.. could be a phycho you never know who your dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

prospect wrote:
    I usually keep staring at their rear view mirror, in a very stern, tut tut tut, shaking head slowly manner, (like your parents used to do when you are bold).
    They will look, they always do, I think its smugness. And then hopefully they'll remember their parents used to tell them off for acting the maggot, and then they'll feel an ickle bit guilty.

Thats normally when I slam on the rear brakes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Take a photo. Freaks them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Do what's required to open up my 'envlope' and carry on. Car horns achieve nothing, not even in an emergency.

Most people will be driving along and you could beep your horn to warn them about something really dangerous and what will they do, maintain tunnel vision on what they're doing and shout to themselves "YEAH! AND F*** YOU TOO. What are ya being at, I didn't do anything wrong!"

All the time unaware of the alien spaceship floating beside them preparing its death ray...

Advertisement