Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting cut off (up?)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

saobh_ie wrote:
    Do what's required to open up my 'envlope' and carry on. Car horns achieve nothing, not even in an emergency.

Most people will be driving along and you could beep your horn to warn them about something really dangerous and what will they do, maintain tunnel vision on what they're doing and shout to themselves "YEAH! AND F*** YOU TOO. What are ya being at, I didn't do anything wrong!"

All the time unaware of the alien spaceship floating beside them preparing its death ray...
    "Death Ray", you say? Sounds interesting ... where can I get one fitted to my car?

In the meantime I'll carry on honking, and if only one person takes any notice and realises their wrongdoing, my job will be done :) BTW, did I mention that I chastise people on the street for dropping litter too? Same kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Chalk wrote:
    usually pass them in a very short space of time.
    when i said sta....
    not some crazy wicked witch of the west , holding level with them or anything ;)
    lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Macy wrote:
    Take a photo. Freaks them out.
    lol lol....sorry you guys are funny (excuse my pathetic "lol" posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I have to admit, I do the "beep&flash" occasionally ..but only when it's kind of obvious, that somebody was taking advantage of me by being dangerously "cheeky". Most of the time I just let people in ...what's the rush, anyway ...

No horn for the really blind / stupid / mental drivers ...when it gets really dangerous, I've got no time to be beeping ...just BREAK ...BREAK HARDER ...while looking for a "hole" to sverve into if breaking hard is not enough ...

THEN I beep, flash AND gesticulate ...way too late of course ...but the adrenalin rush needs to go somewhere, doesn't it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

A guy actually cut me up the other day and then had the audacity to give me the finger as he went by. I ended up beside him at the traffic lights and he did the wa nker hand movement. I beamed a big smile at him and blew him a kiss. I was really surprised when he broke his ass laffin' ,funny moment. (btw I'm a bloke too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

A silly little girl decided to change lanes on the M50 last week without warning and swerved right in front of me. I was doing about 120 at the time, I beeped her out of it and she just waved.
    Then I drove up beside her (still doing 120), right beside the car and gave her the finger (as ya do !!) and frightened the f*ck out of her because my bike was so close.

It's the only way to do it, now she'll think twice before she does that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"I am merely gently reminding you to pay attention to the lights"
    "I saw the f***in' light, ye f***in' ****, whats yer f***in' hurry?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

stratos wrote:
    ..... I beamed a big smile at him and blew him a kiss. I was really surprised when he broke his ass laffin' ,funny moment. (btw I'm a bloke too)

My typical response.... can get some really upset or a date.

However, it depends. Sometimes, you have the "indicator on-incoming missile object" that needs serious alteration and correction is required, so horn, brakes and accelerator all required simultaneously.
    I like the "Chinese lady" response. Eyes straight ahead I can't see you, therefore it must be your fault... even though I tried to merge into your passenger seat.

STEVIEC: The only time I've ever used my horn is when I'm stopped behind someone at lights and they haven't noticed the filter go green. Then again I have only been driving 3 or 4 months!

A number of possible responses to that, however, before that a question. Do you not feel like a real mutt when you realize the vehicle in front is not moving cause there is a little ol' dear toodling across the road and right in the path of the first car.
    I remember a (feisty) lady co-worker who got out of her car, threw the keys (of her car) at the guy behind and told him, "OK, you drive over her". He was in a Miata, she in a SUV.

What would your response be if the person in front had died while waiting at the light. That happened about here. A freind of mine just returned from Asia fell asleep while stopped at a light and my sister managed to lockherself out of the car at a light, engine running, etc.

Another few responses. Drop the clutch so the car stalls, repeat several times and insure the car then roll backwards to within inches of the car behind. About mid ways though the amber, take off.

Otherwise, the typical requirement about here is a little "tootle" of the horn and "Thank you" wave.

Story time. A friend came up behind a car with 2 girls in it, and like you, either gave them a honk or a tootle, to which they responded with the "finger", to which he responded with another honk and they with another finger...... and on they went, honk, finger, honk, finger down the street till they parted ways.

The other day I was patting down a "smily face" the children has stuck right on the middle of the steering wheel, and of course it would go off at the wrong time.

However, while offering a "friendly reminder" from the No. 2 position to the car ahead may be somewhat effective, don't you just love it when someone about 6 cars back lays on the horn, just cause cars No.s, 5,4,3,2 & 1 do not move fast enough for them. Maybe just newly arrived from Shanghai. Which reminds me, there are places and cities where the MO is first check the horn, switch it on permanently for the life of the car, then start the engine and drive, or something to that effect. Don't you think if using the horn was effective, these places should have driving practices much better than anything you are likely to encounter in US or EU.

http://www.kellys.com/joke9.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

well there is the old story of the american in africa. he's feeling very superior whilst attending a voodoo night. afterwards he says to a native " I think it's very cute the way tou guys bang your drums and think it will appease your gods and life will be good" . The native replies " I think it's very cute the way you guys blow your horn in Manhattan and think it will affect the traffic !"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

prospect wrote:
    I usually keep staring at their rear view mirror, in a very stern, tut tut tut, shaking head slowly manner, (like your parents used to do when you are bold).

That's exactly what I do, and when I'm feeling really put out, I applaud them and stick up my thumbs. Great fun. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What gets me is that old bags will just wave at you when you honk them out of it. Make me even more angry at them.

That brings me to a very near miss involving an old bag a few months ago.
    Was coming into Kilkenny and this old bag comes out of a side road without looking, traffic is travelling at a fair speed 90-100 km/h. Narrowly miss her by almost ditching. Horn fully deployed fearing impending impact. Old bag stops, as does a witness behind me, she says she didn't see the traffic and then says she will be on her way. No way says me and the witness who removed the keys from her bagmobile. Called gardai who came very quickly. Turned out that she had no Licence, no tax, no insurance, no nct etc. She was banned before for having bad eyesight.
    Old bag was arrested and taken away. It was a funny sight. But it could have turned out nasty will people badly hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

We'll all go that way eventually, just give it time and say alive.

There is a mark on a wall outside my moms house where a blind bat bounced off. His son later knocked me off my bike with the same car, though I'll not say he was at fault as I was doing something like this with a bike.....

While approaching a "T" junction on the straight tru section, I observed a car coming up the leg, as there was a railing on my side, not a solid wall.... however, it did not appear to be slowing much, so I did and just as well, car swung out onto the road in front of me and off in one direction or another. I mentioned this to someone later and they verified it was an old guy going for the paper and with the response "he always does that", which would mean, had I been coming the other way, where the wall was solid I'd have no prior notice and probably made contact.
    After that I'd approach the same "T" as though he was coming anyway.
    I know a (Limerick) lady here who told me her father never had a driving liscense but it did not apear to limit his driving career.

However, I can appreciate these old bats and they are decreasing in numbers pretty rapidly, plus it's difficult to compare them to the 30-something professional barreling about the country in the Company SUV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

I don't beep my horn too much, only when people nearly kill me.

Once about a week and a half ago, i'm at a set of taffic lights on a two lane road, both lanes are turning right onto another two lane road. It's not that hard to understand right? i'm on the outside lane so obviously i'll be turning onto the outside lane, and inside lane cars stick to their lane, but nooOOOooo, some eejit on the inside lane decides to turn and move into the outside lane, forcing me into the bus lane, that just PISSES me off!!! it show's a complete lack of competence ffs!

I mean what if there was a bus or taxi coming in that lane, where the fúck would that leave me? He got a right royal beeping off me!

Then only a couple of days ago, i was heading onto the M50 southbound coming from Blanch, i was on that big roundabout (does that roundabout have a name?). Now anyone who uses this roundabout will know that it tend to be busy, now when the last set of traffic lights go red then there tends to be a small tailback around the roundabout, so there were cars blocking the path for cars to take the 2nd exit heading into town, and this ****ing woman behind me in her jeep decided to beep me, WHAT THE FÚCK does she want me to do, fair enough i'm in her way but i can't do anything about it ffs, the lights are red. So she pulls around me and gives me an evil look, so i just gave her the finger, i couldn't hold it back, no doubt she drove off fuming.

Advertisement