Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

problem getting video onto laptop

• 01-06-2005 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I have a JVC digital camcorder and I'm trying to get the footage onto my laptop. The software with the cameria will not recognise the serial connector from the camera saying there is no device connected. I presume the driver for the camera is in the software as there are no other cds with the camera.

I also conected the camera before booting the PC.

I got the trial version of Adobe Premier, - can this take footage from any digital device ? I cant test because its installed on another laptop (needs win XP), but the problem now is the other PC does not have a serial connection !

Any ideas on what to do, is there any other free third party software that could take the footage from the camcorder ? or is it possible to get an adapter that can switch a serial connection to usb ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What is the excact model of the camera? Serial Connections? Is it a stills camera? Or a camcorder that has a very small amount of memory for video? Transfering video Via a standard serial Cable would take.... well a while.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Its a camcorder so I want to transfer a large amount of video. Its a JVC with a model number gr-dvl167ek , (if that means anything to anyone).

The cable is the only one that came with the camcorder (not sure what type of serial cable to be honest).

Is this not a regular task on a camcorder ?

"With moving video, this will depended on the specification of your camera. If you have a camera with an iLink (IEEE1394 compatible) DV (Digital Video) socket, you could use a Firewire interface which, in a lot of cases, will need to be installed on your PC. Using this method with cameras that have DV out, you can capture, with applicable software (not supplied by JVC), moving as well still video images digitally to your computer. This may be useful for streaming video clips over the Internet as well as making Multimedia or Video CD-ROMs as well as DVD-R discs with a suitable DVD-R drive inside your computer."

Just got this from the JVC website. The camera does have a DV socket but there was no cable provided. Anyone know where I would pick one up in Dublin, price ?
    As regards the Firewire interface, is this free, where would I get one ?

It may have been a bit presumptious but I presumed that the software and connections for transfering video from a digital camcorder to a PC would not be an optional feature. The camera is about a year and a half old.

Can Adobe Premier Pro take video from a camcorder ? If it can all I would need is the dv out cable and id be laughing

any info or suggestions woud be appreciated, how do you do it ?

Buy a firewire card, they;re about €30 That'll sort you. I thought you may have been on about Firewire innitally.

John

yea just found out what firewire was ! Just presumed that it would be through the serial cable provided.

Went to a couple of shops (PC world/dixions) over the w/e and the firewire cable that they sold was a standard size. Aparantly, from the girl in PC world, some of the camcorder producers make their own fireire cables that are not standard.

The firewire cable on my camcorder is smaller than the standard one in the shops but on the JVC website they say that they do not supply these cables - so where would one pick up a cable to suit a JVC camera ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

you probably need a 4 to 4 pin cable - try maplins if you're anywhere near blanchardstown

Yer wan in PC World was talking ****e tbh.... That is all ;)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

delanest wrote:
    yea just found out what firewire was ! Just presumed that it would be through the serial cable provided.

Went to a couple of shops (PC world/dixions) over the w/e and the firewire cable that they sold was a standard size. Aparantly, from the girl in PC world, some of the camcorder producers make their own fireire cables that are not standard.

The firewire cable on my camcorder is smaller than the standard one in the shops but on the JVC website they say that they do not supply these cables - so where would one pick up a cable to suit a JVC camera ?
    Bring the whole thing into Maplins on Jervis st. or Pixels on Henry st and they'll sort you out with software and firewire/DV cables.

Advertisement