Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New call for eircom breakup by comreg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

well you can't really ask eircom to give up lines you know, it's all the government's fault, they couldn't manage it, eircom took on the job, did all the lines and wiring, now they want eircom to give it up, yea right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

1. Comreg didn't ask for the breakup, ALTO did. ComReg asked the industry whether they thought this was a way of bringing about proper competition.

2. Cyberghost, it's not giving up lines, it's giving other telcos access to these lines at the request of the consumer. eircom still make at least €14.67 per month per line, plus €1000s per month on rental for space in their exchanges. They still own the infrastructure and get payed handsomely for it.

3. The Government didn't ask eircom to look after Telecoms, Telecom Eireann was formed out of the Dept of Post and Telegraphs, then TE was turned into eircom and became a public company and since then has used the network payed for by the taxpayer to exploit the consumer even more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CyberGhost wrote:
    well you can't really ask eircom to give up lines you know, it's all the government's fault, they couldn't manage it, eircom took on the job, did all the lines and wiring, now they want eircom to give it up, yea right.

I'm afraid you are showing how little you know of the history of telecoms in Ireland.

Most of Eircoms network was financed by the Irish taxpayer in the days of Telecom Eireann when it was Government owned, many would argue that it still is through very high line rentals and the free line rental for elderly people scheme.

The government foolishly gave Eircom the infrastructure when it privatised Eircom. What it should have done was separate the company into two or more different enitities, this is what they are doing with the ESB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

bk wrote:
    The government foolishly gave Eircom the infrastructure when it privatised Eircom.

thats what I meant,

but Yes, I agree, I don't know much about history of telecoms in Ireland, I just pretent that I know, so I sound cool and clever ;):o

Advertisement