Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If your lines fails BT Ireland will now help fix it

• 01-06-2005 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

You text them or visit their website to set up the engineer visit if you are on of these :

"This afternoon’s announcement means that borderline customers who are affected by poor quality local access wiring to the home or office will be visited by an engineer to see if the line can be upgraded to qualify for broadband. "

1. On an enabled exchange
    2. Fail the line test

See

Silicon Republic

For the full story and links.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

just tried and I still get "Fail".
    I wonder how much that txt just cost me??

Nothing on their own site yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Funny how BT Ireland are claiming the fame for what is an eircom initiative. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

netman wrote:
    BT Ireland are claiming the fame

BT are sending out Engineers , Eircom are not . Where IS the Eircom initiative ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In fairness, even if Eircom came up with the idea its a total waste of time unless they actually put it into action.
    I haevn't heard anything about Eircom sending out engineers for long line issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

At least it's publicity for broadband. What's funny is I'm on BT Broadband Plus, but when I just checked my number, it's failed! Amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Eircom called me on monday and they are coming out tomorrow to connect me up they somehow fixed my line that they said is too long ill let you lot know how it goes you will get a responce if you get in touch with phil nolan.
    Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

BT rolled out a project with new technology in the North for exhanges that shouldn't have passed which is how UTV now offer 100% coverage for broadband up there

Maybe Eircom are starting to use this ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

I thought it was a lot simpler than that. I thought that ADSL2 had much higher tolerances/range?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    BT are sending out Engineers , Eircom are not . Where IS the Eircom initiative ?

It's a new eircom offering that went live on the 1st of June, that classifies the marginal line test results and flags them, that makes this possible. And yes, eircom are sending out engineers too.

I find it absolutely rediculous when the likes of BT who do nothing but repackage the existing offering, make a claim for fame, for something they had absolutely no involvement in.

But you have to hand it to their PR team, obviously one part of that company still functions well :)

At least it's publicity for broadband. What's funny is I'm on BT Broadband Plus, but when I just checked my number, it's failed! Amazing!

I'm on eircom broadband for the last two years, and more of the time my line test fails. I ordered it as soon as my line passed, but I've never had issues with the service.

Shows you that the tests aren't all black or white. And therefore it makes perfect sense not to discard the marginal results.

• Advertisement

Akula wrote:
    I thought it was a lot simpler than that. I thought that ADSL2 had much higher tolerances/range?

This is all ADSL, as in ADSL1. Don't know much about ADSL2, except all the Smart type, that I've signed up for and still waiting for the Santry exchange :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

For Esat to do ADSL2 or 2+ they'd have to do LLU process in all the exchanges and dig up the roads, connect to their network, install DSLAM's in each exchange etc etc. Just do what Smart are doing really.

Unless eircom upgrade their DSLAM's to ADSL2/+ but since they are tighter then micheal o'leary I somehow doubt it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TimTim wrote:
    Unless eircom upgrade their DSLAM's to ADSL2/+ but since they are tighter then micheal o'leary I somehow doubt it.

Eircom announced a while back that they would be upgrading to ADSL2+ at the end of this year. I believe much of the ADSL gear is already compatible with ADSL2+, there is just some relatively minor firmware and hardware upgrading to do.

It certainly makes sense, Eircom will be coming under increased competive pressure from NTL and LLU over the next year. They really won't have any other choice.

netman wrote:
    It's a new eircom offering that went live on the 1st of June, that classifies the marginal line test results and flags them, that makes this possible. And yes, eircom are sending out engineers too.

you can link to an announcement by eircom can you, or post a fone number for retests / visits so ordinary mortals can retest ......

I was a fail yesterday and a fail today , tell us how to contact the team behind the retests ...or is it vapour ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭jd

According to the Irish Times, eircom are sending out the engineers, not BT.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/biznews/5666740?view=Eircomnet

jd

Yea Eircom are sending engineers out there is one at my house now trying to get me working aparently they had to do some stuff at the exchange this morning too no idea what but ill let you know if it works as soon as i find out
    Pete

How did you get them out Peter ???

The hardest bit was getting eircom to admit the line was in any way faulty , the next hardest bit was to get them to actually do anything about it ??

Emailed phil nolan his emails on this site somewhere
    Pete

Just off the phone with my mam eircom have installed broadband in my house on the unpassable line and left me a wireless router and wifi card.
    So they are actually doing stuff to help now
    Pete

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is what they might be doing now.

If your line is on a pairgain or otherwise of a low quality, they may be swapping your line with someone else who doesn't have BB, but has a better quality non pairgained line.

• Advertisement

Eircom <somewhere> have a database of customers who have rung 1891 1892 and 1893 numbers in the past year. From this they identify Internet Users .

If you have multiple physical lines to your premises you should ring 1892150150 once from each line to ensure that the line is not flagged as a non internet using line and therefore pairgainable when they are out fishing for pairs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Id be interested to hear from anyone who gets an Eircom engineer out without e-mailing Phil Nolan directly... Seems an excessive measure for each customer who wants broadband.

Dero wrote:
    Id be interested to hear from anyone who gets an Eircom engineer out without e-mailing Phil Nolan directly... Seems an excessive measure for each customer who wants broadband.

Seems a necessary measure more like. There is nothing on the website and the 1800503303 staff know nothing about this 'initiative' .

phil.nolan@eircom.ie is the address .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Hmm Im still failing as well :(

What should you say in the email? "Hello I failed the broadband test but my exchange is enabled and would like if an engineer could come and have a look at it for me. My phone number is blah blah.."?

Yes Berger

also stress its importance to your work / future etc etc .

tell us how it goes please

Just mailed him there, hope he replies!

Well I got a reply from the Executive Assistant to Dr. Philip Nolan.

"Thank you for your e-mail. I have forwarded your mail to our Broadband Team. They will investigate the issue you have raised below and they will revert to you as soon as they have an update."

Sounds promising?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I had to resort to emailing Phil Nolan about a month ago and I had a respone from a broadband project manager within 48 hours both by email and phone.
    The issue is now resolved. It may be excessive but it worked.

Yup they installed it today and its woking perfect as im using it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well it seems now that if you ring eircom or BT that they can see whether you are pass, fail or amber. If you are amber they organise an engineer visit. If eircom don't know anything about this then try ringing BT.

Advertisement