Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands up who's gonna fail

Options
  • 01-06-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Anyone know where I can some emergency help with maths online? Cos both my hands are right up in the air...

Ordinarly level by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I'd say the best thing to do is decide on certain questions on each paper and then focus on these by going through the examples in your text book.

Some people find those 'Less Stress More Success' books good, admittedly I hate them, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I have done that, over and over again, but I just can't follow the examples in the book. I end up just getting frustrated and wanting to give up on it. I was hoping by some strange and wonderful stroke of luck that there might be something online that takes you through the procedures step by step. Is that just hugely wishful thinking?

And getting another book at this stage isn't an option, I don't have access to any shops or anyone who might be able to lend me one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

I have done that, over and over again, but I just can't follow the examples in the book. I end up just getting frustrated and wanting to give up on it. I was hoping by some strange and wonderful stroke of luck that there might be something online that takes you through the procedures step by step. Is that just hugely wishful thinking?

And getting another book at this stage isn't an option, I don't have access to any shops or anyone who might be able to lend me one.
    the only thing i can say
    is keep doin past exam q's over and over again

maths is a subject i used to hate
    but if you keep practisin it will pay off

sorry i know thats crap advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

They used to sell actual solutions to the exam papers when I done the leaving and give you a sort of solution to each question in the paper. I remember having to get one for chemistry and it was a god send. Haven't a clue if they still make them or not, i think it was purple and white same size as a book of past papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

www.skoool.ie takes you through the questions step by step doesnt it ?

• Advertisement

themarking schemes for the last 5 years are on www.examinations.ie for free. do questions from the papers and then mark yourself.

You cant fail maths, you should go into your school and ask for help, i'm sure they'll still be open for a few days.

the only thing i can say
    is keep doin past exam q's over and over again

maths is a subject i used to hate
    but if you keep practisin it will pay off

sorry i know thats crap advice
    I can't do that if I don't understand how to do the questions in the first place! That's the problem :( I've missed a hell of a lot of stuff and I'm sure you know yourself that maths isn't something you can just drop in on and expect to know what's going on.

silas wrote:
    They used to sell actual solutions to the exam papers when I done the leaving and give you a sort of solution to each question in the paper. I remember having to get one for chemistry and it was a god send. Haven't a clue if they still make them or not, i think it was purple and white same size as a book of past papers.

If you mean John Brennan's book of solutions then yes they do still sell them.

And just to point out, I do realise that I've left this all too late and it's my own fault, etc. etc. but I really underestimated the amount I still had to learn. I screwed up, and now I'm in trouble with a capital T.

Going back to school isn't an option. I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere and I don't have time to spare to be sitting on buses for hours on the off-chance that somebody might be around to help me. Similarly, this also means I don't have access to any shops. Am I making myself a bit clearer?

And just to point out, I do realise that I've left this all too late and it's my own fault, etc. etc. but I really underestimated the amount I still had to learn. I screwed up, and now I'm in trouble with a capital T.

Going back to school isn't an option. I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere and I don't have time to spare to be sitting on buses for hours on the off-chance that somebody might be around to help me. Similarly, this also means I don't have access to any shops. Am I making myself a bit clearer?

well if the internet is your only option than www.skool.ie and www.examinations.ie are the places to be. Skool.ie will give loads of good links for things explaining and then you can attempt previous papers from examinations.ie and download the marking scheme.

• Advertisement

Danke.

Aye, I do know what you mean. Trouble is though, I won't pass on what I do already know! Even stuff I knew for the pre has suddenly and mysteriously vanished from memory.

ok

erm, not sure if they do it for pass level
    but in my maths papers (examit) they have a code at the bottom of each question for the last 3 years
    so you go onto www.e-xamit.ie
    pop in the code
    hey presto, full solution at your fingertips

and dont panic
    if you really cldnt do em, youd have paniced long ago
    jus attempt everythin
    (i thought i got 13% in my mocks, but i attempted everythin, got buckets of attempt marks and passed)

and if you passed your mocks, it will come back to you! try not to worry too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

if your looking for the pass; Only concentrate on what your good at. Don't waste time trying to take up a new topic.

and dont panic
    if you really cldnt do em, youd have paniced long ago
    jus attempt everythin
    (i thought i got 13% in my mocks, but i attempted everythin, got buckets of attempt marks and passed)

and if you passed your mocks, it will come back to you! try not to worry too much
    Unfortunately, I'm not a panicky person. It's only just occured to me today how absolutely screwed I am if I don't sort myself out within the next couple of days (and I'm still not panicking, just kinda going "oh... sh*t.")

I failed in the pre. Infact I had so much time left in the exam after I'd done all the questions I could do that I sat and worked out roughly what I should get, and predicted my result exactly (32%). I'm not looking for an A here, I just need to pass, which wouldn't be a big deal if I hadn't forgotten everything I was able to do in the pre. I'm not kidding here, I really can't remember any of it!

do you have an older bro/sister

or get a friend to help u
    did you see if those codes are in your papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

I was in the exact same boat as you are now man, just whatever you though don't panic - if it's of any help to you I've only started looking over Maths today, and already I feel confident enough that if I study it for a few more hours I'll pass comfortably

Start by looking over the exam papers and seeing what questions you feel most comfortably doing. I heard this dude on 2FM saying that questions 2, 4, 5 and 7 of paper one are always nearly the same every year so maybe start by doing that.

What school in Louth are you from by the way?!

do you have an older bro/sister

or get a friend to help u
    did you see if those codes are in your papers?
    No, no, and no.
    I'm on my own here!

well schools still on right?
    theyre are house exams on
    so call into school and ask your teacher would he mind spendin a class with you

and dont say you cant do it!

well schools still on right?
    theyre are house exams on
    so call into school and ask your teacher would he mind spendin a class with you

and dont say you cant do it!
    Jaysus, did you read any of my posts?

I. Can't. Go. Anywhere!

• Advertisement

ok ok !

erm (nice logo by the way)
    you have a notes copy? (im really scratchin the bottom of the barrel here i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

Jaysus, did you read any of my posts?

I. Can't. Go. Anywhere!

aw dont be mean to braveheartgal she was only trying to help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Unfortunetly i think i may do poorly in Accounting if i dont get my topics. Same with Physics but i dont think its failing area... Hope i can pull them up, ive still got 19 days to study for them...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

http://www.leavingcertsolutions.com/mall/leavingcertsolutions/maths_o.htm

It hasn't been updated in a while, but it tells you what you must know and it goes through the 2000 paper.

At www.examinations.ie, go to 'Examination Material Archive', then to 'Marking Schemes'. It pretty much gives it to you step by step, you can print out the marking schemes for 2001-2004 and you should be able to follow them ok. Just print them out, have them next to you when you're working through the past papers, and if you get stuck have a look at them to prompt you into the right direction. Remember, it's no use just reading the book for study, you have to do as many questions as you can in the time you have available. If you managed to do that in the mock paper, you probably know more than you realise, especially since they tend to mark the mocks harder than the real thing. You can pass, don't worry, yo'll just have to work at it for the next week. Remember to attempt everything on the paper, even a step in the right direction can get you 30%. But you will do better than that.

cessy wrote:
    aw dont be mean to braveheartgal she was only trying to help
    I'm not trying to be mean, and she knows that :)

Fishie wrote:
    http://www.leavingcertsolutions.com/mall/leavingcertsolutions/maths_o.htm

It hasn't been updated in a while, but it tells you what you must know and it goes through the 2000 paper.

At www.examinations.ie, go to 'Examination Material Archive', then to 'Marking Schemes'. It pretty much gives it to you step by step, you can print out the marking schemes for 2001-2004 and you should be able to follow them ok. Just print them out, have them next to you when you're working through the past papers, and if you get stuck have a look at them to prompt you into the right direction. Remember, it's no use just reading the book for study, you have to do as many questions as you can in the time you have available. If you managed to do that in the mock paper, you probably know more than you realise, especially since they tend to mark the mocks harder than the real thing. You can pass, don't worry, yo'll just have to work at it for the next week. Remember to attempt everything on the paper, even a step in the right direction can get you 30%. But you will do better than that.
    That's brilliant, thanks a million.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

That's brilliant, thanks a million.
    No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

http://homepage.eircom.net/~horstpunzet/

This site is brilliant it has all the solutions from 1997-2003 ordinary level, take a look it's really helpful.

Advertisement