Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is happening to music?

Options
  • 01-06-2005 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

I just need to vent my anger with people who like music and know music, and I hope I am in the right place. I nearly puked my ring up when I heard Crazy Frog, that ****ing annoying little shreaking noise, was top of the charts, ahead of coldplays emphatic and stunning "speed of sound" And even worse that bloody annoying track called Lonely which is practically the bloody tweaty thing in the background.

Are none of you mighty pissed off that every second add on mtv and all the music channels is adds for those fecking ringtone clubs with those stupid tones and songs. Who have all now released songs and have gone high up the charts.

In music ages, 00's have to be one of the worst ever, it really is. We are hit with rubbish fakers (ashlee simpson) people using family fame (kelly osbourne) rubbish money making tracks( crazy frog etc) and movie stars making a break at it( jennifer love hewitt) Crap talentless DJ's remixing 80's songs (too many to name) Good bands like U2 have lost the plot getting involved in all this aid stuff where they ask us for our money, he is more of a preacher then a musician. I wish i was living in the 70's80' where music was king,good,original,real.

Music is so dead these last few years with a handful of good releases, thank god the festivals are still as good as ever. But I wish upon a star that some really good bands would smack us with class albums once more to overtake the talentless rubbish pop junk that rules our airwaves today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Even some of the biggest musical talent are only releasing best of albums etc. I love music from the 80's ,70's and a good bit of modern music, and im only 17! But I think it is much better, i feel like thumping my sister and her friends when they go buy the crappy crap crap out today. But great artists like Prince,Duran Duran,Bowie, and lots more keep releasing best of albums to make money, i wish theyd get inspiration soon and hit us with some music =/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Does the phrase "rose tinted glasses" mean anything to you?

Each decade throws up an inordinate amount of crap it's easy to forget now we're past it. It doesn't mean it didn't exist then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

albums > singles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah, **** the singles charts. In fact, **** all charts. If what's at number one is bothering you, turn off the radio and put on your own music. There has been some amazing releases so far this decade, you just have to be willing to get out there and look. Go into Tower Records and buy a few of the Rough Trade compilations (they're on sale at the moment) and hopefully you will find a rake of new bands that will interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Actually Crazy Frog isn't number 1 in Ireland. It's Number 2. Lonely by Akon is number 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

YES MUSIC IS DEAD BECAUSE THE CHARTS SUCK.

Newsflash: The charts sucked in the 70's, 80's & 90's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Woof!

yeah but still the ****in cat on helium singin in the background.... i recently heard a "new summer anthem" and it was just a sample from "betty davis eyes" being played over and over and mutilated it until it sounded like nails on a blackboard! as for the crazy frog.... i wont start because its too easy...

its obvious the 00s suck for music so i stick to gettin my hands on older stuff and dedicating my time to that but hopefully we will have more good quality new bands who can play their own instruments....
    arcade fire anybody?

arcadefire.net <<
    theyre gonna be HUGE and they can play their own instruments and are musically diverse.... enjoy! u might have seen them on late night with jools holland a few weeks back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fionn McCOOL

Single charts shouldn't worry anyone as Kids are the ones buying the singles.There's loads of quality stuff out there like The Coral, Snow Patrol, The Shins and The Bravery to name just a few. Music isn't dead, its always been like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Pretty much. There was always crap music in the charts. Rest assured that in a few years even the people who like it now will look back and be embarrased about liking it. It's the same with every type of fad/trend/fashion. It's only the real music that survives.

It's quite easy to avoid really. I don't listen to the radio or watch MTV. I haven't heard this Crazy Frog song, but I've seen about 7 or 8 threads about it. It's crazyness. There's no need whatsoever to listen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

i dont like that crazy frog **** either but i also cant stand people like you who give out about it, just dont listen or change the channel :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There has always been **** music, it's just the biz is getting efficient and streamlined and has developed a nasty vicious streak. Everything has been compartmentalised and categorised and it's killing diversity. There is great music out there, just don't expect to hear it on the radio or see it on the TV, you've got to find it. Start by supporting local Irish bands, there are plenty of excellent ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

All these 80's dance remixes are a bit sad.
    I reckon these guys got their hands on the GTA Vice City boxset and are just remixing the songs on that.
    Was listening to the Flash FM cd today and a few of the songs on that were remixed recently, Hall & Oates - Out of Time and Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart for example.

As for the topic of this thread, just to echo everybody else, forget about the charts, they rarely offer anything worthwhile. Seeing as everything in the charts is on the radio and TV constantly forget about the majority of that too. Just go out and try to find something you do like, listen to that and be happy that you are listening to music you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Could be worse. Could be Oasis, Coldplay, Boyzone, or Emininen, 50p (or is that 50 cents), etc.

Bring back heavy metal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Don't worry about it too much, Pop music is music for people who don't like music

Hollywood is (in general) movies for people who don't like film

The davinci code is reading for people who don't like books

Blood Brothers (or something) is a play for people who don't like theatre

etc etc

there are "lowest common denominator" things in all branches of life/the arts for people to "enjoy" without actually having to make any effort to understand what that particular branch of life/the arts is actually about.

whether these things actually start out trying to appeal to the masses or not is irrielevant, it's what they become that's important.

ps. this theory is not an exact science

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Damn straight your theory isn't an exact science.

To say 'pop music is for people who don't like music' is possibly the most snobbish thing I've ever read. Apart from the rest of your post. We'll not discuss the 'merits' of bad pop music; there's plenty of it out there and it's all crud, but to tar the whole 'genre' of pop music (and I realise it's not really a genre - cos it's an abbreviation of popular) on the basis of a narrow minded prejudice really beggars belief. The amount of classic songs that we know today were, back in the day, 'simple throwaway pop songs', and the writers of same never claimed 'em to be anything else. I'm talking 'Get off of My Cloud' by the Stones, 'Hard Days Night', by the Beatles, 'Waterloo sunset', by the Kinks etc. There's as many solid gold top tunes from the seventies, eighties, nineties and even today that will stand the test of time and YES they're pop songs.

Pop doesn't equal 'bad' - but bad pop is just that. The problem, of course, is that for the most part, the general public are cloth eared nitwits who will buy any aul crap that some marketing spiv convinces 'em they want, and that's where your crazy frog, simon cowell, kelly osbourne problem starts...I mean, the world doens't need another syrupy over produced power ballad with autotune vocals on it, espeically if recorded and released by some no-mark who was on the telly twice and it's such no-marks that give the name of 'pop' the bad name.

I could go on about the rest of your post where you go on with the 'if the public like it, then it is axiomatic that it is rubbish', but I'll merely say that such is NOT the case, although I'll grant you that it may sometimes seem like that. I mean, I know what you're trying to say about Hollywood, but just sit your ass down and watch Die Hard and Die Hard 2. Not Big. Not Clever. But dammit, proof if it were needed that Hollywood movies aren't all bad. And to be honest, isn't life just sh!tty enough these days without people insisting that all our movies/songs/plays/books should have a meaning.

Re blood Brothers? What the fook is wrong with BB? I agree it's not Henrik Ibsen or anything, but to be honest, singling out one musical for a slating like that is a bit much. I think traditionally it's stuff by Andrew Lloyd Webber that gets slagged off on t'internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

sorry but coldplay's latest is seriously lacking any talent. All the songs sound the same. that guy sould only be in a cover band, he should not write his own songs. its just typical idiotic nonsense intentless rhyming. musically, the band is pretty sound, but alas they are very much a one hit wonder, and now they are intent on making us listen to the same one hit anon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    Don't worry about it too much, Pop music is music for people who don't like music

Hollywood is (in general) movies for people who don't like film

The davinci code is reading for people who don't like books

Blood Brothers (or something) is a play for people who don't like theatre

etc etc

there are "lowest common denominator" things in all branches of life/the arts for people to "enjoy" without actually having to make any effort to understand what that particular branch of life/the arts is actually about.

whether these things actually start out trying to appeal to the masses or not is irrielevant, it's what they become that's important.

ps. this theory is not an exact science

What a load of snobbish crap. The "If it's popular, I don't like it" attitude pisses me off. It's like people who support unknown bands until they make it big and then don't like them anymore cos they "sold out" or whatever even though they play the same stuff. Or people who go to see French subtitled films in some ****ty little cinema but wouldn't dream of going to the same film if it was major hit and showing in UCI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the problem with music is that when the cd "revolution" [a step backwards imo] was announced in the 80's the record companies made a killing off people who went out and repurchased a large chunk of their vinyl collection on cd, this gave them artifically huge profits all through the eighties and nineties. FACT

now that that artificial bulge is declining theyre all desperate to try and find formulae that WORK and that they KNOW will generate revenue. this is why its nigh on impossible to get a deal or get in the charts with anyhing more adventurous or high minded than coldplay. and this is why everysingle one of those nme bansd wil never get to release a "difficult second album" - they'll be quietly dropped and the record company accountant will be able to show quite easily that they never made a profit or paid for their expenses. "creative accounting" - thats how it works i'm afraid....

this is why dance music offers more financial security than dead tree music, although dance music is fùcked because, well its not exactly trendy anymore and young kids just want to hear angry "i hate my teacher" music now....

if you REALLY like music throw away your radio, and only go and hear it live or buy releases sold independently by artist controlled record labels.

or get into jazz or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Good points. In fact, it's funny that even today you see record companies re-releasing classic albums on double/triple cd's...eg Sony going to town on London Calling (2cd plus 1 dvd), EMI having a ball with most of the early Bowie albums coming out as two parters (most of which i bought cos i don't own the originals anyway!) and Warners doing what they're doing with the REM albums...

Grumpy and lebowski, no where in my post did I say pop music was crap and nowhere in my post did I say that I didn't like it

ditto hollywood, books and plays but lets just concentrate on the music

My point is that some people, a lot of people, most people only buy music that is popular, music that they hear on mainstream radio, see on TV, read about in the newspaper, hear in an ad,see in the charts, This may be some of the finest music ever made, Nirvana the Beatles, the kinks or it might be the Crazy frog or the Cha Cha slide or some other crap.

People listen to the music they are given, they don't go looking for music, they are not "into" music, they enjoy it, they consume it but they don't have this internal passion that drives them to seek it out.

I like movies, I watch them, I enjoy them but I'm not passionate about movies, I watch the movies I'm given, I don't seek out old or foreign movies that are supposed to be classics, I don't know who the director is on most of the movies I watch, I'm not interested in the commentaries or interviews with the casting agent or production director on the DVD. I am a "pop" movie user.

To a movie fanatic that may seem odd and strange and in his/her eyes I might have some bad perferences in the movies I like, its the same with music, if you have a passion for music its difficult to understand why certain records sell so well, here's your answer,

it's music for people who don't like "Music"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I would not really agree with JoeSchmoe, I know a few people who are "really into" their hollywood blockbusters and their chart topping music. That is just what they like. If you were to suggest something that you or I perhaps might considered more enlightened and it doesn't take their fancy at all. Case in point I was trying to argue the merits of Dead Mans Shoes as a good example of British Cinema and they were supporting Love Actually. That is their taste, that is what they like and their is nothing you or I can do about it so why get angry.

Each to their own.

Now I'm off to stick a blue crayon up my nose.

Extended warranty how can I loose!

fair play to them for having passion for the mainstream but "one swallow does not a summer make"

as I said it's not an exact science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

sorry but coldplay's latest is seriously lacking any talent. All the songs sound the same. that guy sould only be in a cover band, he should not write his own songs. its just typical idiotic nonsense intentless rhyming. musically, the band is pretty sound, but alas they are very much a one hit wonder, and now they are intent on making us listen to the same one hit anon

dont know about one hit wonder, unless you mean 1 good album. parachutes is a fantastic album; full of emotion, beauty, and great music. one of the best in the last 5 years in my opinion.

everything that followed is pretty bland and uninspired though. i just dont get how they are one of the biggest bands in the world right now. their new offering is just mediocre pop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

Music today...............................................
    Now there's a tough topic.
    Every half decade had a revolution in music where's ours?
    In the 50s we had the appearence of rock and roll! With the likes of Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Billy Haley and the Comets all from the US rock and roll became associted with young people and all that stuff.

In the early 60s came the emergence of the British Invasion with bands like the Beatles the Rolling Stones, etc. and Britain became to hip hangout with all that swingin 60s stuff, late 60s big psychidelic reolution with Hendrix, Pink Floyd and the hippy counter-culture, big hippy counter culture the Beatles even went psychidelic! then you had Woodstock and on and on and then

Early 70s it was like you had hard rocking bands like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Free and glam rock emerging, Bowie, Bolan, Slade the early 70s was very rockin, stadium rock begins to emerge.
    Late 70s and into the early 80s, punk in Britain, with the Clash, the Sex Pistols all the DIY music stuff, loads of bands startin up.

Early 80s, dance-orientated pop, lotsa other pop, stadium rock popular, spandex wearing bands with crap guitar solos some good bands though (Iron Maiden GNR although you might not agree) Pop and bad metal rule the mainstream through the 80s. I always found the 80s a mad decade, all over the place.

The early nineties BOOM! Grunge explosion centred around SubPop records in Seattle, bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc. taking over the mainstream as an angry answer to the meaningless stadium rock and pop of the past mainstream. Nirvana becoming one of the biggest bands in history along with the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. Grunge big with confused younger generation whole Generation X culture starts many bands start up reminisant of the DIY Punk ethic starting up bands. Grunge more or less ended when Kurt Cobain died in 1994.
    Britpop emerges in 94 like when the British Invasion answered the US rock in the early 60s bands like Oasis, Blur, Verve and many others take over the mainstream now that American Grunge has ended.
    Britpop fades out around 99, 2000 as bands have burnt out and broken up but some bands stayed on more established like Oasis, Radiohead.

2000s guitar rock does not dominate the charts like it used to manufactured pop and nu metal takes over with some poppunk. Nu metal is nearly on the same level as manufactured pop being aimed at young teenage boys like the way pop is aimed at young teen girls. This has proceeded over the years. Alot of Indie Rock bands have emerged though, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, Kaiser Cheifs, kasabian all that stuff with guitars.
    Modern day mainstream is full with Manufactured pop mainly and Indie etc.
    No big revolution has really taken place but in years to come people will probably say that there was an indie rock revolution or something.
    I've outlinded the main mainstream rock and pop revolutions of the past 50 years you'll probably give out I didn't put in stuff like the Madchester, Funk, skiffle etc revolutions. I'm sorry!
    I'm hopin for a mainstream rock revolution right now...
    Hope you enjoyed the history lesson, peace out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

death to all teenie boppers with their crap head "dance floor beats" and their sh!te ringtones and talentless "bands" that aren't even fit to be called so and oh gaud the vocals!!!! someone please bring back actual bands that play actual instrument and have decent vocals!!!!
    And the videos!! Just some blonds ass bimbo parading around in her underwear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Arguments that go along the lines of "God Be With The Days We Had Real Music, With Real Bands What Could Sing And Play Their Instruments And Actually Had Some Talent" are a bit tragic. Anyone who grew up during the 80s had to listen to exactly the same whinging and same for people who grew up in the 70s.

Personally, I can't stand the Crazy Frog - I hated him and his chicken sidekick long before he turned into a megaselling hit single. But like Mr Blobby and the Smurfs before him, he'll fade into oblivion. Meanwhile, someone will have made a fortune and frankly, I'm starting to wish it was me. For a long time I sat on a high stool saying I'd never have joined the Spice Girls, and now I think, feckit, for 12million it might have been worth it, it wouldn't have stopped me listening to the stuff I listen to which is leaning towards the world music genre now (for example, currently listening to a terrific album by Ibon Koteron which I happened upon on a record shop in France on a listening post).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

If anything this is the best time ever to be into music, there is more good music available thanks to the internet. Decent bands that could never release ten years ago can now press a thousand CDs relatively cheaply or make CD-Rs to order. Just because the charts (as they always have) are full of stuff you don't like (and people do like chart stuff, different strokes for different folks) doesn't mean you have to listen to it. Instead of whinging about all the crap music go out and find the great music that's out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I do, i have so much music of the net by bands that some have never heard off, but are brilliant, I just really hate teenie bopper trash, with a passion!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

I think you get your good and bad with every decade.. But generally I think music nowadays is actually better than it was back in 90s - And If i'm honest, I'll say the internet and P2P has contributed to this more than anything, ironically.

Don't get me wrong, there's still some real crap floating about.. ****in frog song for example ..I'd like to step on that frog's head :mad: ooohahaha yes please!

bombbado- *SPLAT*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

I agree. Its so easy and doable for a band to get together play gigs and release music then ever before in history!
    PS
    Did nobody like my history lesson?

Advertisement