Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is happening to music?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Crap music has existed since the dawn of time, anyone remember the mr. blobby song? it heralded the end of music as I recall. the crazy frog song is popular because it pi$$es old people off. did you never ask yourself what the next generation are going to be into that'll shock you? anything subversive, untasteful, mildly annoying has already been done. the only alternative for this generation of teens to rebel is a shreaking so loud and highpitched that it will irritate anyone who hears it to the point of madness. If you ignore it, or better still, pretend to like it, it will go away.

To stop that frog 1, 2, 3,
    Here's a fresh new way that's trouble free,
    It's got the Spacedogs guarentee,
    Guarentee is void, in Tralee,
    Just don't look, just don't look.

There's next weeks no 1. for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

it missed the point a bit... anybody who thought that "grunge" and "britpop" were the most exciting things to come out of the nineties, and writes only three whole lines on the 80's [leaving out soft cell, new order, afrika bambaata, the rise of samplers and the birth of hip hop] is clearly someone who has spent the last twenty years with their head under a rock and their fingers in there ears singing black sabbath records to himself imo....

fair enough if you dont like the future, but to ignore the most exciting and innovative music of the last 30 years of the past would seem to be a little bit over the top... granted, an awful lot of people back in the day who were into their dead tree music [thats music made with bits of dead tree] were rather anti the whole notion of progress in music, but even now, thirty years after kraftwerk, 50 years after stockhausen, to refuse to listen to anything that doesnt sound like the stooges or the MC5 or the Jam sounds as bizarre to me as wantng o live in a cave because "thats what we used to do"

all a matter of taste of course, just dont be coming near my cd player at a party :wink:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

50 years after stockhausen

Stockhausen is still composing and performing. Still as innovative as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    Grumpy and lebowski, no where in my post did I say pop music was crap and nowhere in my post did I say that I didn't like it

ditto hollywood, books and plays but lets just concentrate on the music

My point is that some people, a lot of people, most people only buy music that is popular, music that they hear on mainstream radio, see on TV, read about in the newspaper, hear in an ad,see in the charts, This may be some of the finest music ever made, Nirvana the Beatles, the kinks or it might be the Crazy frog or the Cha Cha slide or some other crap.

People listen to the music they are given, they don't go looking for music, they are not "into" music, they enjoy it, they consume it but they don't have this internal passion that drives them to seek it out.

I like movies, I watch them, I enjoy them but I'm not passionate about movies, I watch the movies I'm given, I don't seek out old or foreign movies that are supposed to be classics, I don't know who the director is on most of the movies I watch, I'm not interested in the commentaries or interviews with the casting agent or production director on the DVD. I am a "pop" movie user.

To a movie fanatic that may seem odd and strange and in his/her eyes I might have some bad perferences in the movies I like, its the same with music, if you have a passion for music its difficult to understand why certain records sell so well, here's your answer,

it's music for people who don't like "Music"

Agreeing with you more or less 100% my friend... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

Glad to see this topic has actually generated some proper debate after a rather moronic first post... people who cry their eyes out about Crazy Frog honestly annoy me more than the tune itself. Especially when they describe Coldplay's new offering as "emphatic and stunning", dear god. I know this has been said ad nauseum in this thread... but the charts have always been dire, there is lots of good music out there and your problem is that you're inexplicably looking for it in the charts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

there was alot of **** music in the 70s and 80s dont ever forget that, people just had better taste back then when it came to who they wanted to be popular

theres plenty of music to suit everyones tastes out there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BuffyBot wrote:
    Does the phrase "rose tinted glasses" mean anything to you?

Each decade throws up an inordinate amount of crap it's easy to forget now we're past it. It doesn't mean it didn't exist then.
    Absolutely. The 70s and 80s (which the original poster pines for) churned out an amazing amount of crap most people have forgotten about. As for the 90s the stuff that was terrible was so terrible that I haven't got it hidden away for posterity like I have with much of the earlier bad stuff. The stuff that was good was rather good but the same applies to the other decades under discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

there was alot of **** music in the 70s and 80s dont ever forget that, people just had better taste back then when it came to who they wanted to be popular
    Yeah. Like the Bay City Rollers and Sigue Sigue Sputnik. And there was far far worse out there for anyone who remembers the depths Bucks Fizz crawled to, as well as that Doctor Who single done by people who really should have known better. Music doesn't appear to be remembered like other things: the good lives on, the evil is often interred in some vault and forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

it missed the point a bit... anybody who thought that "grunge" and "britpop" were the most exciting things to come out of the nineties, and writes only three whole lines on the 80's [leaving out soft cell, new order, afrika bambaata, the rise of samplers and the birth of hip hop] is clearly someone who has spent the last twenty years with their head under a rock and their fingers in there ears singing black sabbath records to himself imo....

fair enough if you dont like the future, but to ignore the most exciting and innovative music of the last 30 years of the past would seem to be a little bit over the top... granted, an awful lot of people back in the day who were into their dead tree music [thats music made with bits of dead tree] were rather anti the whole notion of progress in music, but even now, thirty years after kraftwerk, 50 years after stockhausen, to refuse to listen to anything that doesnt sound like the stooges or the MC5 or the Jam sounds as bizarre to me as wantng o live in a cave because "thats what we used to do"

all a matter of taste of course, just dont be coming near my cd player at a party :wink:
    You see I just went over major rock happenings and stuff I don't go much for electronica and all these subgenres I love Kraftwerk and James Brown though Olé! Why don't you write that much on the history of music and its revolutions if your so great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

Music today...............................................
    I've outlinded the main mainstream rock and pop revolutions of the past 50 years you'll probably give out I didn't put in stuff like the Madchester, Funk, skiffle electronica etc revolutions. I'm sorry!

Youe see that!

• Advertisement

Youe see that!

i did... but in all fairness... would you write a history book and leave out the renaissance because you werent really interested in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

If you want to find quality bands then listen to show soundtracks like scrubs and others programs they get amazing bands that aren't signed so they dont have to pay them as much as the mainstream guys and they are brilliant like Lazlo Bane who sing the main song are good and the way you hear the song at the beginning is not the way they sing it before you say anything.

Another place to look for good quality bands is an unlikely place. The WWE there soundtracks are chosen by a pure genius i must say he has picked bands before they have gotten famous like Creed, Puddle Of Mudd and several others. He doesn't pick groups that are famous too often.

You just gotta be willing to look.

NOTE: Charts suck!!! FACT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    Don't worry about it too much, Pop music is music for people who don't like music

Hollywood is (in general) movies for people who don't like film

The davinci code is reading for people who don't like books

Blood Brothers (or something) is a play for people who don't like theatre

etc etc

there are "lowest common denominator" things in all branches of life/the arts for people to "enjoy" without actually having to make any effort to understand what that particular branch of life/the arts is actually about.

whether these things actually start out trying to appeal to the masses or not is irrielevant, it's what they become that's important.

ps. this theory is not an exact science
    No you are spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I am watching the charts in disgust for some time now and it is not getting better. Crazy Frog #1 really says it all.

Fortunately, the internet is a good source of tracking down real musicians. I often click on www.laurasmidiheaven.com and check out bands and solo artists.

Most of them sell their CDs there even cheaper than in the shop.

Here´s to the internet and all those wonderful musicians who will never make it big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

there is great music out there, you just have to know where to look. most of it is of course independant. there are some good groups signed to majors though that keep there underground or indie sound (Jurassic 5, dilated peoples etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

colin300 wrote:
    words... creed... puddle of mudd... more words

The scary thing is you're serious.

Gotta kinda agree with JoeSchmoe too. His movie fan / music fan analogy was quite good. I don't particularly want to be saved from the Hollywood crap and watch classic obscure Russian movies, much like people who listen to chart music don't want to be saved from the 'rubbish' they listen to. As hard as it may be to believe, some people actually like it... and not because they "don't know any better".

PiE wrote:
    The scary thing is you're serious.

Gotta kinda agree with JoeSchmoe too. His movie fan / music fan analogy was quite good. I don't particularly want to be saved from the Hollywood crap and watch classic obscure Russian movies, much like people who listen to chart music don't want to be saved from the 'rubbish' they listen to. As hard as it may be to believe, some people actually like it... and not because they "don't know any better".
    hear hear! but why do they always seem to grow out of chart music? and who is responsible for the music being in the charts? - it's the 11-13 year old female who influences what goes top ten. they're the biggest market for cd singles, and as a result have a huge influence on what the rest of us hear when we're out and about, whether in a cheesy cattle market type club, or whether we're listening to the radio. the fact is, irish radio is terribly dull and unadventurous. sure even the white stripes seven nation army barely got any airplay because it was an album track and not a single... there's an awful lot of great music out there, and if you were to try and hear it on the radio it would take a long long time. meanwhile, pirate stations run at great financial and personal risk out of sheer love for music get shut down by the irtc who are working hand in hand with a flabberghastingly corrupt system that protects the interests of the acountants and the advertisers, relegating a field of culture and expression to the status of a commodity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was never a very big fan of cabbage. I never liked the stuff tbh and I always tried to stay away from it.

Sometimes it's difficult though. Whenever I go over to my Mums for Sunday dinner she always has it and I have to tell her I don't want any. Plus whenever I go for my carvery lunch they always have it there also, and again I have to tell them I don't want any.

They even have it in supermarkets nowadays but I just have to stop myself from buying it. It's difficult I know but it's gotta to be done.

Maybe a solution is that if we stop buying cabbage they'll stop selling, thing is though, some people like cabbage.

B.

Advertisement