Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB Max query

• 01-06-2005 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Bandwidth allowance on this is 40GB downstream per month.
    The user policy states that "Normal Use" is defined as up to 1GB downstream per day.

In effect, "normal use" throttles us to 31GB max per month :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

They are hardly going to define it as
    1.2903225806451612903225806451613 GB's per day.

Just take it as 40 ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

It's just a legacy from the old 30GB per month cap AUP - which is roughly 1GB per day.

In any event, ntl are most decent when it comes to exceeding caps.
    Having said that my total (up+down) usage for April & May was a mere 4.77GB :eek:
    I think I'll start sending myself large files to get that up a bit :D

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Tech Pete wrote:

Just take it as 40 ffs.

I was just querying as the user policy is open to interpretation. I was hoping for some constructive replies, not your usual arrogant & rude response. My god, I bet you had fun counting the decimals tee hee hee "FFS"

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

As far as i know the 40gig limit is from 1st June along with the new price,

any other cap info is prob left over from old info and should get updated soon..

I go over my DL limit maybe every 2nd month and sofar i must say NTL has been fine no mail/phone calls nothing and service has been V good for the past 2 years..

Misty

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kin9pin wrote:
    I was just querying as the user policy is open to interpretation. I was hoping for some constructive replies, not your usual arrogant & rude response. My god, I bet you had fun counting the decimals tee hee hee "FFS"

NTL have never actually done anything to anyone who has gone over the cap. They once sent a letter to people who went way over the cap, asking them to reduce their usage to within the limits of the cap, for the benefit of everyone. They didn't threaten to do anything and I'd say most people were reasonable and reduced their usage.

So really you don't need to worry, NTL seem to be very reasonable about the caps..

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

Question:

How are you calculating your Total upload/download? Can you get it from the modem or is there a link on their web site?

Thanks...

I'm using DUMeter. Or Netlimiter is another option.

Tech Pete wrote:

Just take it as 40 ffs.

Just received an email from NTL advising that BB Max usage allowance is "just over 1GB per day", so yes it looks like they are defining it as 1.2903225806451612903225806451613GB per day.........roll on February when it rises to 1.42857142857143 GB per day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

RintPete wrote:
    How are you calculating your Total upload/download? Can you get it from the modem or is there a link on their web site?
    NTL don't have an online usage monitor, maybe this is one reason they're so lax about the limits.
    For purely academic reasons I monitor my usage; I use DUmeter which is pretty cool; I particularly like the semi-transparent window that shows a 4 minture usage history - great for knowing exactly what's being up and downloaded.
    ttbomk it only gives the usage for the machine it's running on - so if you have a LAN, XBox, or ATA running it isn't 100% accurate - but then it's not a scientific instrument :D

causal

• Advertisement
Advertisement