Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet

• 01-06-2005 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Anyone any ideas as to what type of questions will come up. My teacher thinks a character study of Hamlet is likely which would be grand. Unfortunately she also has a feeling a theme like the corruption or apearance vs reality could appear on the paper. Any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

revenge-claudius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

wouldn't vouch with the hamlet character
    *checks 2002 paper

yeah definetly wouldn't.
    Theme of revenge is widely tipped. i think the ghost could be one or theme of filial duty. meh hard to say. i better learn some quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jdevlin

What is filial duty? Also if revenge where to come up what would you write about apart from Hamlet and laertes

Let's not forget about Fortinbras, the one that most people leave out. That ususally distinguishes between the A and B students.

jdevlin wrote:
    What is filial duty? Also if revenge where to come up what would you write about apart from Hamlet and laertes

like what i said the 1st time: revenge:claudius

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

jdevlin wrote:
    What is filial duty?
    Duty, as a son, to honour your father (or something along those lines)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

jdevlin wrote:
    doesn't that also refer to daughter-parent relationships?????????
    therefore you have Ophelia also

the other thing you gotta remember is that two questions come up, generally one is on characters, relationships etc and the other is on themes. So it is possible that the character of Hamlet and the theme of corruption could come up on the paper (though it's unlikely that your teacher would manage to get a feeling for two questions and be right on both counts!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Let's not forget about Fortinbras, the one that most people leave out. That ususally distinguishes between the A and B students.

but what can u really say about him? what does he symbolise? that good triumphs in the end and that harmony is restored like all shakespearen tragedys i guess?

doesn't that also refer to daughter-parent relationships?????????
    therefore you have Ophelia also
    Actually yeah, you're probably right, just the first thing that would have sprung to my mind was Hamlet, Laertes and Fortinbras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Well if its revenge you talk about Fortinbras, Hamlet and Laertes's respective crusades.

but what can u really say about him? what does he symbolise? that good triumphs in the end and that harmony is restored like all shakespearen tragedys i guess?
    Here's a buzzword (or buzzphrase?) - Fortinbras is a foil for Hamlet, as is Laertes. In other words, they highlight his shortcomings. Hamlet procrastinates about honouring his father, delays, puts it off... However, the instant Laertes finds out that Polonius is dead, he whips up a mob and comes charging back into Elsinore; similarly, Fortinbras charges around the place trying to restore his father's honour

randomfella, read your PM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

yeah like d generate said u discuss hamlet.laertes and fortinbras revenge tactics how they differ contrast how lartes is violent and unscrupulous as an avenger how he is unrestrained by considerations of law,church or conscience unlike hamlet both laertes and fortinbras represent the threat of vengence let loosedont forget the parallel imagery of the hamlet/claudius and priam /pyrrhus suituations to further consolidate the answer

im hoping revenge comes up with either hamlet or polonius

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

This is good stuff, guys. How do you think a question about the theme of revenge will be worded?

Does anyone think the role of women in Hamlet might be another possibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

the theme of revenge is central to the plot and the effect of the awesome responsibility is central to the characterisation of hamlet

go on to speak how hamlet's internal conflict between his desire to avenge his father and his abhorence of bloodshed is as a consequence of revenge

laertes,difference in attitude to revenge
    he is unscupulous and remorseless.......contrast with hamlet and his attitude to revenge

fortinbras depicts the harmful effects of revenge, (talk about him sacrificing a group of mercenaries for a piece of crap land in poland, jus to satisfy his lust for vengeance)

then conclude, summarising the above

hope that helps! (screw that, hope it comes up!)

what is priam and pyrhus? Im guessing it is a greek myth. Also you say Laertes is untroubled by matters of law church or conscience unlike hamlet. I agree with the church and conscience aspects but when do thoughts of the law lengthen his procrastination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Priam and Pyrhus are from the Aeneid by Virgil.
    Basically, Pyrhus kills Priam in revenge for the death of his father (Achilles). If you mention it in your answer, it's another counter-point for Hamlet's delayed revenge.

hey exiztone!
    eh not sure it will prob have the word "revenge"
    in it he he ah no sseriously something like
    "the medieval chivalric code demanded revenge aror the sake of family honour"discuss.

yeah go over the passive female roles in hamlet if women come up its not gonna be on their own it will be ophelia and gertrude together discuss the patriarchal world in which they live then go in depth on their virtues and faults

jdevlin wrote:
    what is priam and pyrhus? Im guessing it is a greek myth. Also you say Laertes is untroubled by matters of law church or conscience unlike hamlet. I agree with the church and conscience aspects but when do thoughts of the law lengthen his procrastination?

i know not what u mean laertes didnt procrastinate!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Priam and Pyrhus are from the Aeneid by Virgil.
    Basically, Pyrhus kills Priam in revenge for the death of his father (Achilles). If you mention it in your answer, it's another counter-point for Hamlet's delayed revenge.

Dude its from the Illyiad by Homer!
    The Aeneid is all about Aeneas crossing the River Styx in the Underworld.
    Aeneid was Roman literature
    Illyiad was Greek.

i take it most of us are reading "theme of revenge" from the hamlet notes in the purple book

and there was i thinking i sounded smart

Cessy- Read my post again. I never said that Laertes procrastinated.You said that Laertes is untroubled by law, conscience or church, unlike Hamlet. Therefore you are stating that Laertes doesn't meditate on matters but hamlet does, which is true. My problem was that although hamlet does meditate on matters of religion and morality, I dont think he meditates on the law

jdevlin wrote:
    Cessy- Read my post again. I never said that Laertes procrastinated.You said that Laertes is untroubled by law, conscience or church, unlike Hamlet. Therefore you are stating that Laertes doesn't meditate on matters but hamlet does, which is true. My problem was that although hamlet does meditate on matters of religion and morality, I dont think he meditates on the law
    im with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

another aspect of hamlets procrastination may be the the fact that, weather he knows it or not, he is trying to detach himself from power, love, family,freindship,the world and above all sanity... hence the antic dispostition and his treatment towards ophelia/claudius/gertrude and also rozencrantz and guildenstern as he barely acknowledges their deaths... in doing this, the detaching that is, he is preparing himself to take revenge which means he probably knows that when he actually does it that he will die too.. he is a fatalist...
    fortinbras depicts the harmful effects of revenge, (talk about him sacrificing a group of mercenaries for a piece of crap land in poland, jus to satisfy his lust for vengeance)

he does indeedy but also when you think about it fortinbras actually didnt have to do alot to get his revenge except march his army across the land etc.. because in the end Hamlet gave him the throne to him..

my teacher also did alot about curruption and revenge..

i just want it over with!!

right on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

the theme of revenge is central to the plot and the effect of the awesome responsibility is central to the characterisation of hamlet

go on to speak how hamlet's internal conflict between his desire to avenge his father and his abhorence of bloodshed is as a consequence of revenge

laertes,difference in attitude to revenge
    he is unscupulous and remorseless.......contrast with hamlet and his attitude to revenge

then conclude, summarising the above

hope that helps! (screw that, hope it comes up!)

I don't necessarily think Hamlet abhors bloodshed. There is a memorable quote in the play when he says "My thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth!". He sacrafices Rosencrantz and Guildenstern pretty easily after finding out that they had been sent to accompany him to his death. (Killing old friends. Friends that had turned on him, but old friends nonetheless.) It's a fairly calculating act of murder as well considering he had to pen the letter and seal it with the signet.
    Let's not forget poor Polonius in the closet scene as well. After killing him, Hamlet doesn't even think about the body until he's gotten his point through to Gertrude after which he "lugs the guts into a neighbour room".

In relation to revenge and Hamlet I'd be very inclined to talk about him not killing Claudius in the chapel. This shows that Hamlet is far more concerned with revenge than putting the kingdom back into an 'equilibrium' state.

Laertes is a very good example to use in this question because he's willing to stoop to any level to get revenge for Polonius's death; anointing his sword with the unction from the mounteback, slitting Hamlet's throat in the church. General deceipt really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Claudius is not entirely bad , he does have some redeeming qualities. Anyone think something along those lines could come up!?? Or the use of imagery in Hamlet???

id love if claudius's redeeming qualities comes up

and waltons, yeah thats a really good point
    i suppose you could bring that into his complexity tho
    his internal conflict between the impulse to avenge on the one hand and the unconscious repugnance to vengeance on the other

his instinctive impulse ( "haste me to know't that I with wings as swift as meditation or the thoughts of love, may sweep to my revenge")
    is inhibited by inconscious misgivings

and all that malarky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

Claudius is not entirely bad , he does have some redeeming qualities

yup that came up in my mocks, you could talk about his good qualities in realation to kindship.. stuff like how he leads the courtiers, his public speaking at the start of the play etc.. also the way he treats ophelia might be useful with that..

how many qoutes are you people learning for hamlet im thinking in between 20 and 30?????

Advertisement