Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

yeah right
    one per paragraph is what our teacher told us
    as long as you have a quote to support your point youre sorted

i better be
    or ill beat her.........with my shovel

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

hum wrote:
    yup that came up in my mocks, you could talk about his good qualities in realation to kindship.. stuff like how he leads the courtiers, his public speaking at the start of the play etc.. also the way he treats ophelia might be useful with that..

how many qoutes are you people learning for hamlet im thinking in between 20 and 30?????

How did he treat Ophelia?

Anybody want to list their quotes grouped by theme? <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Obviously every walking idiot will have to be or not to be so don't over use that!!! lol

15 well chosen quotes should get you through most answers though, 15 - 20 if you're aiming for the A! Remenber one idea per paragraph , one quote per paragraph and each paragraph written like a mini essay! To make things easier for you on the day write a list of you're ideas in order of how you will discuss them in the essay then work off that rough sheet and the whole thing becomes alot easier and less daunting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

To be honest I haven't learned off that many quotes, certainly not one per paragraph I'll be doing anyway. I'm a big fan of close reference as things can be said in a flowing manner. Quotes, I feel anyway, tend to break up things. Sure quotes are excellent for getting the examiner to stop and go "Yep, knows his/her stuff", but if you're stuck for a quote, don't be afraid to use close reference! You might not know the play off word for word (Fair play if you do!), but you'll know the story and the events by this stage!

Can anyone break down what you would write about with revenge in a simple bulleted paragraph!???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

its prob in your actual play
    most hamlet plays have notes in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Anyone else find the notes in the Folens book for the most part pretty cack?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

lot of people know their stuff on Hamlet. Few articulate statements made. Its good to see, easy to benefit from other people so somebody already said this but..

quote a quote and explain the context where u would use it etc...

"to be or not to be that is the quest-ion" - this breaks the usual iambic pentameter, shows how hamlet is on a quest and mission. He is infatuated with carrying out the task, ordered by his father.
    Filial duty is a central theme to the play hamlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

jdevlin wrote:
    Cessy- Read my post again. I never said that Laertes procrastinated.You said that Laertes is untroubled by law, conscience or church, unlike Hamlet. Therefore you are stating that Laertes doesn't meditate on matters but hamlet does, which is true. My problem was that although hamlet does meditate on matters of religion and morality, I dont think he meditates on the law
    further to this:
    Hamlet expresses his disrespect for the psyically strong types, such as Laertes, who act before thinking, referring to them as "hercules" scoffingly (can't remember quote, early in play)
    perhaps he is jealous- Gertrude refers to Hamlet during the fencing scene "he is fat and scant of breath" !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

jdevlin wrote:
    Cessy- Read my post again. I never said that Laertes procrastinated.You said that Laertes is untroubled by law, conscience or church, unlike Hamlet. Therefore you are stating that Laertes doesn't meditate on matters but hamlet does, which is true. My problem was that although hamlet does meditate on matters of religion and morality, I dont think he meditates on the law

oh sorry i did just skim over your post im all over the place at the mo i didnt mean law as in the legal system at the time more like the elizabethen codes of chivalry at that time not dail kinda stuff!!
    sorry ill be more careful next time!

• Advertisement

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    Obviously every walking idiot will have to be or not to be so don't over use that!!! lol

15 well chosen quotes should get you through most answers though, 15 - 20 if you're aiming for the A! Remenber one idea per paragraph , one quote per paragraph and each paragraph written like a mini essay! To make things easier for you on the day write a list of you're ideas in order of how you will discuss them in the essay then work off that rough sheet and the whole thing becomes alot easier and less daunting!!
    Nah, learn some quotes, make some sort of plan, and just go with the flow.
    (if they think its learned off they mark you wayyyyyyyy down, better to give the impression your making it up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

Can someone tell me about fortinbras, I don't know anything about him and how i could incoraporate him into a question on revenge etc,

What does he do at the start, why does hamlet hand over his kingdom to fortinbras, I thought he was the enemy??

I've missed out on this character somewhere in school and never really seen a question on him, so can someone please explain the above and hopefully i'll be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Johnerr wrote:
    Can someone tell me about fortinbras, I don't know anything about him and how i could incoraporate him into a question on revenge etc,

What does he do at the start, why does hamlet hand over his kingdom to fortinbras, I thought he was the enemy??

I've missed out on this character somewhere in school and never really seen a question on him, so can someone please explain the above and hopefully i'll be ok

The wonders of google - Fortinbras essay, actually I'm glad I found it, it'll help me out too.

Nah, learn some quotes, make some sort of plan, and just go with the flow.
    (if they think its learned off they mark you wayyyyyyyy down, better to give the impression your making it up!)

Why would they mark you down for learning something!!!! Thats just the load of CRAP!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

at the start of the play we learn that fortinbras is on his way to take over denmark.. hence the whole reason the gaurds are on patrol, he basically works as another contrast in character to that of leartes and hamlet.. so for something on revenge you could probably talk about each of the characters and how they deal with the responsibility of revenge.

fortinbras is seen as the enemy for nearly all of the play as he poses as a strong treath to elsinore but when hamlet sees how he deals with his army and how he holds himself etc he starts to idolise him and decides he has "pondered too much on the event"... and has to learn from him and go ahead with the task of taking revenge.
    thats why he hands over the kingdom before he dies, because of this new light in which he now sees him...
    ugh i hope this makes sense its very late! :o

Johnerr wrote:

At the start of the play Denmark is under attack from Norway , Fortinbras. Claudius sends two ammbassadors to the old uncle of Fortinbras to try to settle without war. Fortinbras wants to attack Denmark because Old King Hamlet killed his father and he wants to get revenge for that.He is the young Prince of Norway, and wants to restore his fathers honor making him another foil for Hamlet. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    Why would they mark you down for learning something!!!! Thats just the load of CRAP!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

She's right, why the hell would they mark you down?!? You would loose marks if you weren't making sense.

*Angel* wrote:
    She's right, why the hell would they mark you down?!? You would loose marks if you weren't making sense.
    Obviously you have to learn stuff off, but if you ryhme of an answer, aperently they can tell and you're done for lack of personal response (this is just hear-say!)
    but arent the qs one's they never asked before? you'd have to amke something up then anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Obviously you have to learn stuff off, but if you ryhme of an answer, aperently they can tell and you're done for lack of personal response (this is just hear-say!)
    but arent the qs one's they never asked before? you'd have to amke something up then anyway!

How... can they tell?

Do they see the sweat of guilt from the answerbook?

If your come out with an essay that answers all nessessary requirements then they can't hardly take marks away.
    The whole "write-your-own-essay-or-you'll-lose-marks" scenario is really such a load of bull.

Plus, the Hamlet question is hardly a section dealing with personal interpertations or opinions, just black and white analysis.

Also, Hamlet questions that have been asked before are most definetly considered each year for inclusion.

But if you learn off a good personal response then it does sound personal!!!!!

• Advertisement

ok sorry people, just passing on the info!
    i suppose i meant link back to the title, cos thers no way you'll be able to plan that till the day

Obviously refer back! lol Ya can't go in and write about Claudius just becaude you learn't him when the question is Hamlet. But if you know a few broad essays you can patch them together to fit most answers, ie an essay on revenge and one on corruption = essay on Claudius ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

well i know that quoting what other critics have said (and saying its from another critic) will get you marks because it shows an interest and that you were proactive enough to read about the play outside the notes in the back. theres no way they can mark u down if u answer the question sufficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Fortinbras: An Important Character in Hamlet Oftentimes, the minor characters in a play can be vital and, among other things, function to further the action of the play or to reveal and illuminate the personalities of other characters. In Hamlet, Fortinbras, the Norwegian Prince, serves as the most important foil of Hamlet and provides us with the actions and emotions in which we can compare to those of Hamlet and better reveal Hamlet’s own character. Because Hamlet and Fortinbras both lost their fathers and have sworn to avenge their deaths, Fortinbras is a perfect parallel of Hamlet. He was also very crucial to the play’s ending and to bring a remedy to the corruption that has plagued Denmark. Fortinbras father, King of Norway, was killed during battle for control of “a little patch of ground”(4.4, 19). Fortinbras’ uncle claims the throne of Norway just as Hamlet’s uncle takes the throne at Denmark. The deaths of Hamlet Sr. and Fortinbras Sr. directly link the common destiny of Fortinbras to that of Hamlet, to avenge the death of his father. It is because of this that the two young soldiers can be compared to each other. Fortinbras’ taking action after his reasoning is contrasting to Hamlet’s continual lackadaisical steps towards revenge. Hamlet realizes this and comtrasts himself to Fortinbras in his “How stand I then”(4.4, 59) speech and labels Fortinbras as a man of action and labels himself as a procrastinator whose words lead to no action. Hamlet calls him “a tender prince”(4.4, 51) after speaking with a captain in his army and hearing of Fortinbras’ progress. It is inspiring to Hamlet and it pushes him forward in carrying out his plan to kill Claudius. Hamlet’s last lines, “How all occasions…my thoughts be bloody or be nothing worth!”(4.5, 34-69) say that Fortinbras has won him over from any further doubts and Hamlet, too, wishes to become a man of action who is ready to take his revenge at any cost. It can be said that Fortinbras is an energetic leader and soldier with clear intentions from the way he can quickly assemble his men to attack Poland. Although Fortinbras says that Hamlet was a soldier, too, “and for his passage, the soldier’s music…”(5.2, 444-445), the reader sees Hamlet only as a scholar because he seems to only think things out rather than take action. Though, Fortinbras’ statement helps us understand that Hamlet was once indeed a good soldier. Scene two of the last act of Hamlet reveals the true character of Fortinbras. After arriving at Elsinore, he immediately acts upon seeing the disturbing scene, much like he acts in battle, “Let four captains bear Hamlet like a soldier…”(5.2, 441-450). Fortinbras is necessary to the storyline and he is important to the resolution of the corruption in Elsinore Castle, “Something rotten in Demark”(1.5, 100). He is needed to correct the corruptness, as he is the only noble left to claim the throne, the task he had ironically set out for, and because he desires to fight for glory and to expand his empire, he is fitted by character to inherit the Kingdom of Sr. Hamlet. This action completes the play and brings all loose ends together

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    Obviously refer back! lol Ya can't go in and write about Claudius just becaude you learn't him when the question is Hamlet. But if you know a few broad essays you can patch them together to fit most answers, ie an essay on revenge and one on corruption = essay on Claudius ect
    god sorry!
    ok i can't explain myself properly obviously, it makes sense in my head!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

randomfella, that answer on fortinbras is really good!! i would never have been able to come up with that!!

Sarah** wrote:
    randomfella, that answer on fortinbras is really good!! i would never have been able to come up with that!!
    he appears to be some sort of genius, he typed up a whole history essay for us yesterday!!! what a nice young man!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

That's a well written piece, Randomfella. But just one thing, I don't think Hamlet Sr and Fortinbras Sr fought over that small patch of land in Poland. I thought Fortinbras was only claiming that because he was intercepted by his uncle (because of Volitmand and Cornelius) in his plan to attack Denmark directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

a whole history essay! my god! fair play to him!!

• Advertisement

Randomfella you're a legend!!! Thanks a mil for that thing on Fortinbras!! Woo , lets all here it for Randomfela

Advertisement