Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

why is everyone predicting claudius?
    didnt he come up last year (or else the year before)?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

why is everyone predicting claudius?
    didnt he come up last year (or else the year before)?
    Probably because he was on the mock paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

yea thanks it was u fishie, although u neva got round to explaining their significance.... so i doubt u will now. i really should have learnt them. - another to-do job for tuesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

woah, sarah you go to campion? where does he do grinds outside of his classes in skerries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

What has Claudius' appearance on the mock paper got to do with anything? There is no connection between the two! One is written by a private company, the other by the SEC/DES!

As long as you know and love Hamlet, you will be OK.

Don't worry about what will come up:
    "The readiness is all."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

I'd love it if an 'account for hamlets popularity through the ages' essay came up. I love my essay on that, centres around his seeming oedipus complex :P it's DIRTY!

muahaha. got a 9 1/2 /10 out on it though from an extremely hard marking teacher who has never given anythin above an 8 to anyone in his life apparently! :D

If anyone has the 'york notes' on hamlet i advise reading the characterisation bits on pol/laertes/fortinbras/gertrude/claudius at the back, excellent stuff. Even reading about critical history through the ages in it makes things a lil clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

I know its not written in stone or anything but a character/s question comes up a lot. Would I be safe just studying the characters and the theme of revenge ? we havent covered much else in school and if it came down to it i could wing it with a theme question. Imagery-havent a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

thats exactly what im gonna do

characters and revenge

focusin in on claudius, ghost, hamlet

not just me then, thank god....heres hoping we're covered with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I have received a pretty strong tip that two male charachters of lesser importance will be up in the same way that gertrude and ophelia were up last time

Laertes and Polonius for you people who couldnt guess

• Advertisement

strong tip....?!

shoutman wrote:
    I have received a pretty strong tip that two male charachters of lesser importance will be up in the same way that gertrude and ophelia were up last time

Laertes and Polonius for you people who couldnt guess

yeap i said that. If either were to come up, they'd have to come up together or with fortinbras or something. WHere did this tip come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Sarah** wrote:
    just home from an all day grind with philip campion, he's amazing im sure you have all heard about him...he talks on spin 1038 most mornings and will be on 2fm next tuesday from 8 to 9 with night before tips. he reckons that more then anyone else in the play that claudius will be the most likely character examined and polonius is also a second fave....
    He's my grinds teacher too! do you go to the one's in Portmarnock? i go to swords! isn't he so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

I'd love it if an 'account for hamlets popularity through the ages' essay came up. I love my essay on that, centres around his seeming oedipus complex :P it's DIRTY!

muahaha. got a 9 1/2 /10 out on it though from an extremely hard marking teacher who has never given anythin above an 8 to anyone in his life apparently! :D

If anyone has the 'york notes' on hamlet i advise reading the characterisation bits on pol/laertes/fortinbras/gertrude/claudius at the back, excellent stuff. Even reading about critical history through the ages in it makes things a lil clearer.
    yeah i did that one in the mocks, like completrly winged it, and got 78%!

Nope baby i got this tip off my teacher in school who despises all types of grinds hehe so i doubt its him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

I got Hamlet through the ages too! Never seen anything like that on the papers! Id love it in the exam though!

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    I got Hamlet through the ages too! Never seen anything like that on the papers! Id love it in the exam though!

what would ya write if somethin like that came up?

just gonna post up some other notes i have on hamlet.

The Nation as a Diseased Body
    Everything is connected in Hamlet, including the welfare of the royal family and the health of the state as a whole. The play’s early scenes explore the sense of anxiety and dread that surrounds the transfer of power from one ruler to the next. Throughout the play, characters draw explicit connections between the moral legitimacy of a ruler and the health of the nation. Denmark is frequently described as a physical body made ill by the moral corruption of Claudius and Gertrude, and many observers interpret the presence of the ghost as a supernatural omen indicating that “omething is rotten in the state of Denmark” (I.iv.67). The dead King Hamlet is portrayed as a strong, forthright ruler under whose guard the state was in good health, while Claudius, a wicked politician, has corrupted and compromised Denmark to satisfy his own appetites. At the end of the play, the rise to power of the upright Fortinbras suggests that Denmark will be strengthened once again.
    Motifs
    Motifs are recurring structures, contrasts, or literary devices that can help to develop and inform the text’s major themes.
    Incest and Incestuous Desire
    The motif of incest runs throughout the play and is frequently alluded to by Hamlet and the ghost, most obviously in conversations about Gertrude and Claudius, the former brother-in-law and sister-in-law who are now married. A subtle motif of incestuous desire can be found in the relationship of Laertes and Ophelia, as Laertes sometimes speaks to his sister in suggestively sexual terms and, at her funeral, leaps into her grave to hold her in his arms. However, the strongest overtones of incestuous desire arise in the relationship of Hamlet and Gertrude, in Hamlet’s fixation on Gertrude’s sex life with Claudius and his preoccupation with her in general.

The Impossibility of Certainty

What separates Hamlet from other revenge plays (and maybe from every play written before it) is that the action we expect to see, particularly from Hamlet himself, is continually postponed while Hamlet tries to obtain more certain knowledge about what he is doing. This play poses many questions that other plays would simply take for granted. Can we have certain knowledge about ghosts? Is the ghost what it appears to be, or is it really a misleading fiend? Does the ghost have reliable knowledge about its own death, or is the ghost itself deluded? Moving to more earthly matters: How can we know for certain the facts about a crime that has no witnesses? Can Hamlet know the state of Claudius’s soul by watching his behavior? If so, can he know the facts of what Claudius did by observing the state of his soul? Can Claudius (or the audience) know the state of Hamlet’s mind by observing his behavior and listening to his speech? Can we know whether our actions will have the consequences we want them to have? Can we know anything about the afterlife?

Many people have seen Hamlet as a play about indecisiveness, and thus about Hamlet’s failure to act appropriately. It might be more interesting to consider that the play shows us how many uncertainties our lives are built upon, how many unknown quantities are taken for granted when people act or when they evaluate one another’s actions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

Here are some more notes on Hamlet

http://lcnotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Hamlet

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Splicer wrote: »
    Here are some more notes on Hamlet

http://lcnotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Hamlet

Thread is 7 years old :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Any idea of what I should prepare?

I have stuff on Hamlet, Claudius, Ophelia, Gertrude, Laertes, Fortinbras and the theme of Deception. Is there much else I should be looking at to prepare?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Some of the tipped things are:
    - Women of Hamlet
    - Deception/Appearance/Reality
    - A scene question
    - A hamlet question
    - A fortinbras question

Advertisement