Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc Repairs Shops

Options
  • 01-06-2005 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Ive just moved to cork and have a problem with my pc. Both my cd rw and my dvd drive wont work. I have no clue why but i will have access to a car this saturday round cork and would like to bring it to be fixed in a good tech shop. Even just to quickly replace a drive while im there because its a heavy monster and ill need to literally drive to the door to take it out of the car. Any ideas on good shops, open sat which will do a quick repair job? Or if worst comes to the worst any shops who send technicians out to a city center home? Thanks! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Funxy wrote:
    Ive just moved to cork and have a problem with my pc. Both my cd rw and my dvd drive wont work. I have no clue why but i will have access to a car this saturday round cork and would like to bring it to be fixed in a good tech shop. Even just to quickly replace a drive while im there because its a heavy monster and ill need to literally drive to the door to take it out of the car. Any ideas on good shops, open sat which will do a quick repair job? Or if worst comes to the worst any shops who send technicians out to a city center home? Thanks! :cool:
    Any PC repair shop here would probably charge you €100 for the drive replacement and 'labour'. I'd offer to do the work for half that if I was in Cork, alas though, I'm not. Maybe a kind soul here can bail you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Ya i agree i pm you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

The cost is alrightish, i know techs rip you off but just ease of getting it sorted is good. I hate having to ask ppl to do it that i know or alternativly meet on boards ;) Although it is very kind of people to suggest that :) So any ideas on shops that are okish in cork? :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

PC's are like lego these days, you might save yourself a few quid by checking the obvious things first.

First of all, it's unlikely both drives would have gone west at the same time, so did the machine get a knock recently? If so the cables might just have been disconnected, so open up the case - make sure that you ground yourself by touching a metal part of the chassis before you touch anything else - and check that all the cables going into the drives are sitting tight in their sockets, and that the other end of the flat cables are sitting tight in their sockets on the motherboard.

Failing that, tell us what you mean by "won't work". Are they not showing up in your operating system at all or are they just not reading/writing?

adam

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Okycokey there are few repair places around. CCL off Georges quay another place around the corner forget the name something cheap office parts or summit.But with Damhasta here. Jump to the comp forum and surely you'll sort it. My tips

Make sure all cables are secure - IDE and power
    Check the BIOS (press delete on start up.......etc........) and make sure auto recog is on for the IDE cables.
    Failing that make sure that there is power goin to the drives (swap a power cable with the HDD cable and see if it powers up)
    If thats ok check the jumpers in the drives and see that evertything as it should be.
    Eh what else - when did this start happening? After an e-mail ....etc.....run spyware and you AV just in case.
    Check admin tools to see that you drives are there or check control panel.

Oh the list goes on save money post in the comp forum you'll get your answer.

Nukem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

To answer the original question:

Digilog
    Cork Computer Clinic

Both "little places" - but I've delt with both before and never had any problems.

I know that Digilog do a call out service, but Id say it would be cheaper to hand it in yourself. If you NEED a pc theres always the net cafes round cork while your machine is in the shop.

Id do it myself, only im in France for the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

ooh I had a problem with the CCC wiping my harddrive because my battery was dead.. in all fairness, and then charged me £100 for their troubles.... bull****e.. I wish I knew then what I know now (would have been very easy to fix myself.. why didn't I know about google then??!)

Thats excellent advice from everyone. Its a fairly old dell comp. Its always had small problems and was one of a bad batch which would never restart, u always had to shut down. Its definitly had knocks lately and has been sitting around unused for a good while as i have a new computer back where im from. Good plan to check the inside etc, ill do that saturday too! I'll let you guys know how it goes and thanks for all the advice and shop names :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The CCC tried to charge me 80 euro for the work involved in swapping out a dead CW/DVD combo drive, as well as trying to fob me off with a 250 euro LG replacement drive - I found a higher-spec Philips drive in Soundstore for 120 and fitted it myself. So you could say I'm not particularly impressed with them.

TBH given the standards of what's available in Cork you'd probably be no worse off getting someone off here to do it for you, and if they do charge you for their troubles they'd probably still be cheaper.

As for doing it yourself - bit of a pain, I know, but possibly easier unless you have a load of money lying around to spend on a tech. Bear in mind that a few people who've posted on this thread work in computers or have studied CS at college, so you might not be that worse off recruiting help from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I know some people with Degrees in Computer "Science" and still dont know what the inside of a computer looks like :p

• Advertisement

Yea im embarassed to say i used to work in aol tech support, but as far as im concerned if its nothing to do with aol bb then im clueless bout pc's ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was utterly useless with hardware up until a few years ago, when I opened up the case of a Gateway rig at the urging of a tech support buddy of mine, and found that the layout really was incredibly simple. I'd still consider myself below average on the hardware front, but if I can open up a rig to check the simple stuff, anyone can.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

did I read someone paid 120 for a CDRW ! in this thread ...ouch

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

He he bout 12months ago i knew very little bout the guts of computers and as i sit here i have 2 PC's in bits ready for cleaning and upgrading. In honesty i was better of ignorant :mad:

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I know some people with Degrees in Computer "Science" and still dont know what the inside of a computer looks like :p

Ahh shur a degree in computer science was the fashionable thing to have a few years back... People came out of the course with top marks and didnt know how to turn a pc on. Gone are the days when I was a completely unqualified teenager and had a computer science graduate working for me.

As a side note, can computer science graduates still get jobs in McDonalds these days?

I'm happy to see that the general feeling towards CCC is to stay the hell away from them. Awful shower of wankshafts they are...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

formatman wrote:
    did I read someone paid 120 for a CDRW ! in this thread ...ouch

Yes, me, three years ago, for an at-the-time pretty good spec combo (ie CDRW/DVD) drive. Of course, maybe if you actually went back and read what I posted, you'd have already understood that bit.

Advertisement