Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best engineering college

Options
  • 01-06-2005 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

I dont mind people form trinity or UCC thinking that their engineering course is the best in ireland but when I see people from places like DIT and WIT saying they have the best courses,it is simply ridiculous.

The fact is that UCD has the best engineering school in ireland by far.It has the best reseachers,lecturers,facilities and it teaches its student to be engineers not to be technicians.Other courses especially in the ITs focus on practical things but we learn the theory because to invent and innovate u must have a fundamental knowledge of basic principles.

Another important aspect of the courses is the entry points.The undenominated course had the highest points out of any engineering course in ireland(495 points) with the other courses following close behind.This is an important fact because the calibre of students entering the course is very important.High calibre students equals better graduates,better researchers etc.Colleges such as DCU recieve lower calibre students(generally speaking).These people have lower intelligence and are less likely to become
    great engineers.

And all u engineers from other colleges who are foaming at the mouth now,i'll give u some facts.We have almost full employment,we have very good lecturers(from imperial london,oxford etc) and a graduate from UCD with a good degree can walk into a masters in a top UK university.The top UK universities wouldnt even look twice at an irish IT graduate.fact!In a recent survey done by a german newspaper,UCD was the only irish engineering school ranked in the top 25 in europe(It was 13).Look it up on the internet if u dont believe me.It simply blows polytechnics such as DCU and DIT out of the water.

We rule.YEH! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Let me guess, you're a first year?

When I started engineering in UCD they required English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

DJDC wrote:
    I dont mind people form trinity or UCC thinking that their engineering course is the best in ireland but when I see people from places like DIT and WIT saying they have the best courses,it is simply ridiculous.

The fact is that UCD has the best engineering school in ireland by far.It has the best reseachers,lecturers,facilities and it teaches its student to be engineers not to be technicians.Other courses especially in the ITs focus on practical things but we learn the theory because to invent and innovate u must have a fundamental knowledge of basic principles.

Another important aspect of the courses is the entry points.The undenominated course had the highest points out of any engineering course in ireland(495 points) with the other courses following close behind.This is an important fact because the calibre of students entering the course is very important.High calibre students equals better graduates,better researchers etc.Colleges such as DCU recieve lower calibre students(generally speaking).These people have lower intelligence and are less likely to become
    great engineers.

And all u engineers from other colleges who are foaming at the mouth now,i'll give u some facts.We have almost full employment,we have very good lecturers(from imperial london,oxford etc) and a graduate from UCD with a good degree can walk into a masters in a top UK university.The top UK universities wouldnt even look twice at an irish IT graduate.fact!In a recent survey done by a german newspaper,UCD was the only irish engineering school ranked in the top 25 in europe(It was 13).Look it up on the internet if u dont believe me.It simply blows polytechnics such as DCU and DIT out of the water.

We rule.YEH! :)

HAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Sh*t stirrer......no-one gives a f**k

Should be moved to humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Good luck getting a job in Germany or France or anywhere with an Institute of Technology culture. The DIT kids will walk all over you there (even without their european language option).
    (I'm in UCD).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

For a "high calibre" student you seem to lack the fundamentals of the english language. Look up the word punctuation, I think you'll find some surprising results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

I was only takin the piss u twits.my piece of comic genius had the word "sarcasm" printed all over it.some of u people really help reinforce the boring stereotypical image of engineers.get a sense of humour u losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I was only takin the piss u twits.

Sure you were! :p
    some of u people really help reinforce the boring stereotypical image of engineers.get a sense of humour u losers.

But I'm too much of a boring loser to get one. :(

Go away, how about them for apples! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

To clarify: Is this a p!ss take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

ucd engineering school was ranked 13 in that survey so that's true.
    However the idea that dcu or any college that might have lower points for something attracts lower "calibre" graduates and less intelligent people is a piss take because that's going on the asumption that the lc is an all encompassing intelligence test :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 RudolfDiesel

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........MIT??????????

I heard that Institute of Technology is crap too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Yes, because Massachusetts Institution of Technology don't do any Humanities. Uh huh, they're not a university. And the US higher-level system is the exact same as the Irish. And therefore DIT/WIT also have over 50 laureates.

Yes, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Aero787

It's obviously someone taking the p!$$. Grads from all eng disciplines at CIT do their ME at top universities, and despite the low entry points for some courses, there are very high calibre students choosing CIT. It's right up there with the best. Even if you look at his first sentence, he's joking because the fact that people from the likes of UCC, etc., could consider their eng course the best is ridiculous. It's still a grand degree, but if you want to do any type of eng in Cork you should go to CIT, or leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newb

DJDC seems to look down upon IT graduates. He is most likely unaware
    that a sizable chunk of the lecturers in TCD - and probably UCD -
    started out in one of the ITs.

The head of the EE department in TCD began learning
    engineering in DIT (his CV is posted on his TCD contact page). I have
    him for one of my subjects this term and he REALLY knows his stuff.

Practical experience is very important, but DJDC also seems to think
    that this is the mark of a poor engineer. I have learnt that
    engineering is a subject that requires a good balance between what DJDC
    calls just being a "technician" and his idea of an engineer.

I see he last posted in 2005. Did he wash out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I seem to recall hearing about CIT engineering graduates going to MIT, among others (like Imperial), for further study. Oh yeah, and they are consistently top performers in competitions run by IMechE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Im doing a computer sceince degree in an I.T and so's a freind of mine at TCD.. we find that the courses cover the same things(sometimes in different orders)... meaning at the end we're going to have the same level of training and be just as qualified to do a job as each other...

this seems to be the case with all computing courses anyway as most irish institutes and colleges ect are focused around industry requirements...

Newb wrote:
    DJDC seems to look down upon IT graduates. He is most likely unaware that a sizable chunk of the lecturers in TCD - and probably UCD -
    started out in one of the ITs.
    Eh, that's just not true. I see one staff member that didn't start out at least degree level, put in bold. (I've removed technicians and administrators and the like).
    School of Engineering
    13.7.05 John Aidan Fitzpatrick, B.SC. (BELF.), M.A., PH.D. (BELF.), D.SC. (BELF.), CENG, FIMECHE, FIEI, FRENG, FIAE, MASME, M.R.I.A., MEMBER ACADEMIA EUROPAEA, F.T.C.D. (1988) (first term expires 2008)
    Francis Morgan Boland, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., PH.D. (C.N.A.A.), CENG, FIEI, F.T.C.D. (1990)
    Henry Joseph Rice, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., PH.D. (N.U.I.), F.T.C.D. (1995)
    Darina Bridget Murray, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.), PH.D., CENG, MIEI, F.T.C.D. (1996)1.12.05 Michael Anthony Slevin, M.A.
    1.7.06 Margaret Mary O’Mahony, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., D.PHIL. (OXON.), CENG, FIDE, FIHT, FCIT, FIEI, MICE, MIAT, F.T.C.D. (2001)
    1.10.06 Biswajit Basu, B.C.E. (JAD.), M.TECH. (I.I.T. KANPUR), PH.D. (I.I.T. KANPUR), MISET, F.T.C.D. (2006)
    1.1.87 Desmond Niall Digby Hartford, M.A., B.A.I., PH.D., MIEI
    1.6.95 David Martin Ball, B.A., M.SC. (LOND.), D.U.C. (LOND.)
    1.4.98 Karin Gertraud Dubsky, B.A., M.SC.
    1.10.98 Aiden Peter Duffy, B.A., B.A.I., PH.D., MIEI
    Christopher James O’Donovan, B.SC. (COMP.), M.A.
    Martin Joseph Carney, M.A., MIEI
    1.10.94 Francis Morgan Boland, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., PH.D. (C.N.A.A.), CENG, FIEI, F.T.C.D. (1990)
    1.10.99 Jagdish Kumar Vij, B.SC. (PANJ. (I.)), M.A., M.SC. (PANJ. (I.)), PH.D. (PANJ. (I.), DUBL.), SC.D., CENG, C.PHYS., F.INST.P., FIEE, M.A.P.S., M.R.I.A., F.T.C.D. (1983)
    1.10.85 William Thomas Coffey, B.A., B.A.I., M.SC., PH.D., DOCTEUR (h.c. PERPIGNAN), CENG, C.PHYS., FIEE, F.INST.P., F. AMER. PHYS. SOC., M.R.I.A., F.T.C.D. (1981)
    1.10.00 Paul Christopher Fannin, DIP.E.E. (PLYMOUTH POLY.), M.A., M.SC. (BIRM.), PH.D., SC.D., CENG, FIEE, F.T.C.D. (1994)
    1.10.01 Martin James Burke, DIP.ENG. (D.I.T.), M.SC., PH.D., MIEE
    1.10.87 Robert Alan Moore, B.SC. (BELF.), M.A., PH.D. (BELF.), MIEE, F.T.C.D. (2005)
    1.10.91 John Brian Foley, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., M.E.E. (T.U. EINDHOVEN), PH.D.
    1.10.98 Dermot John Furlong, M.A., B.A.I., PH.D.
    1.10.04 Anil Kokaram, B.A. (CANTAB.), PH.D. (CANTAB.), F.T.C.D. (2001)
    1.10.06 Linda Elizabeth Doyle, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.SC., PH.D., P.G.DIP. STATS
    1.12.91 William Joseph Dowling, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.)
    1.7.93 Anthony Paul Quinn, B.E. (N.U.I.), PH.D. (CANTAB.)
    James Henry Calderwood, B.ENG. (LIV.), M.ENG. (LIV.), PH.D. (LIV.), D.SC. (N.U.I.), SC.D. (h.c.), D.SC. (h.c. SALF.), F.INST.P., FIEE, HON. FIAE
    16.9.05 Sergey Titov, KANDIDAT NAUK (M.I.P.T.), DOKTOR NAUK (I.R.E.E. R.A.S.) (Science Foundation Ireland)
    1.10.00 Olga Panarina, DIPL. CHEM. (ST PETERSBURG STATE), PH.D. (Science Foundation Ireland)
    1.7.03 * Yuri Petrovich Panarin, DIPL. PHYS. (M.I.P.T.), KANDIDAT NAUK (M.I.P.T.) (Science Foundation
    Ireland)
    1.10.03 Vitaly Petrovich Panov, DIPL. ENG. PHYS. (M.I.P.T.), PH.D. (Government of Ireland)
    27.5.05 Manjuladevi Venkatanarasappa, B.SC. (B’LORE), M.SC. (B’LORE), PH.D. (J.NEHRU U.) (Science Foundation Ireland)
    1.4.06 Vasily Melnikov, PH.D. (LOMONOSOV STATE) (Science Foundation Ireland)
    1.10.96 Seán Seosamh Swords, B.SC. (N.U.I.), M.A., M.SC., PH.D., CENG
    1.11.03 Paul Comiskey, B.A., B.A.I., PH.D.
    Tatiana Perova, M.SC. (TAJIK STATE), PH.D. (LENINGRAD STATE)
    Derek Ronald John Simpson, M.SC.
    Bernadette Clerkin, B.SC. (COMP.), M.A., DIP. ADVANCED COMPUTER
    1.11.94 John Aidan Fitzpatrick, B.SC. (BELF.), M.A., PH.D. (BELF.), D.SC. (BELF.), CENG, FIMECHE, FIEI, FRENG,
    FIAE, MASME, M.R.I.A., MEMBER ACADEMIA EUROPAEA, F.T.C.D. (1988)
    1.10.99 Archibald Andrew Torrance, M.A. (CANTAB., DUBL.), PH.D. (LOND.), SC.D., D.I.C., CENG, MIM, F.T.C.D.
    (1992)
    1.10.92 David Taylor, M.A. (CANTAB.), PH.D. (CANTAB.), CENG, MIEI, F.T.C.D. (1989)
    1.10.98 Henry Joseph Rice, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., PH.D. (N.U.I.), F.T.C.D. (1995)
    Associate Professors of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
    1.10.98 John Michael Monaghan, M.A., M.SC., PH.D., SC.D., CENG, FIEI, FIMECHE, FIM, FIEE, F.T.C.D. (1993)
    1.10.01 Patrick John Prendergast, B.A., B.A.I., PH.D., CENG, FIEI, F.T.C.D. (1998)
    1.10.04 Darina Bridget Murray, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.), PH.D., CENG, MIEI, F.T.C.D. (1996)
    1.10.94 Christopher Garrett Lyons, M.A., M.SC., F.R.S.A., MIEI
    1.1.86 Thomas Dermot Geraghty, B.A., B.A.I., MIEI
    1.10.96 Craig Meskell, M.ENG. (BELF.), PH.D.
    1.10.96 Kevin Unai O’Kelly, B.S. (BERKELEY), M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.), PH.D. (N.U.I.), CENG, MIEI
    18.9.00 Kevin Kelly, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.)
    1.8.05 † Garret Edward O’Donnell, B.SC. (ENG.)
    † Daniel John Kelly, B.A., B.A.I., M.SC., PH.D.
    † Anthony Robinson, B.SC. (MCM.), M.ENG. (MCM.), PH.D. (MCM.)
    † Ciaran Knutt Simms, B.A., B.A.I., PH.D.
    * Tadhg O’Donovan, B.A., B.A.I., PH.D.
    * Fergal Joseph O’Brien, B.A., B.A.I., PH.D., MIEI
    Thomas Clive Lee, M.A., M.SC., PH.D., M.D., CENG, F.R.C.S.I., F.R.C.S.ED., MIEI
    David FitzPatrick, B.A., B.A.I., D.PHIL. (OXON.)
    1.10.00 Alexander Benedict Lennon, B.E. (N.U.I.), PH.D. (Science Foundation Ireland and E.C.)
    27.10.03 Elaine Byrne, B.A., PH.D. (DUND.) (Higher Education Authority)
    1.11.04 Denis Vivian De Pellegrin, B.SC. (ENG.) (W.AUST.), PH.D. (W.AUST.) (Government of Ireland)
    1.11.04 Luca Susmel, PH.D. (PADOVA) (Government of Ireland)
    1.1.05 Paula Maguire, B.SC. (N.U.I.), PH.D. (D.I.T.) (Science Foundation Ireland)
    1.3.05 * Tadhg O’Donovan, B.A., B.A.I., PH.D. (Science Foundation Ireland)
    1.7.05 Stephen Farrell, B.SC. (N.U.I.) (Enterprise Ireland)
    9.11.05 Enda Murphy, B.A., P.G.DIP. STATS (E.P.A.)
    18.1.06 Hugues Renondeau, DIPLÔME D’INGÉNIEUR (I.N.S.A. LYON), M. ÈS SCIENCES (LYON I), DOCTORAT (ECOLE CENTRALE DE LYON) (Marie Curie Fellowship)
    1.2.06 Brian McCormack, B.A., B.A.I. (Higher Education Authority)
    Computer Systems Administrator
    21.3.01 John Thaddeus Gaynor, B.SC. (SYST. INF.), M.A., DIP. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (D.I.T.), DIP. INFORMATION SYSTEMS
    Peter Joseph O’Reilly, M.SC., DIP. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (D.I.T.), MIEI
    Alan James Reid, M.A.
    * Francine O’Connell, M. ÈS L., AGRÉGÉE DE L’UNIVERSITÉ
    Henry Joseph Rice, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.A., PH.D. (N.U.I.), F.T.C.D. (1995)
    Trevor Louis Lambert Orr, B.A., B.A.I., M.SC., PH.D. (CANTAB.), EUR.ING., CENG, FIEI, MICE
    1.10.87 Eric Raymond Farrell, B.A., B.A.I., M.S. (C’NELL.), PH.D., EUR.ING., CENG, FIEI, FGS, MICE
    1.10.90 Trevor Louis Lambert Orr, B.A., B.A.I., M.SC., PH.D. (CANTAB.), EUR.ING., CENG, FIEI, MICE
    1.10.98 Roger Plumer West, B.A., B.A.I., M.SC. (LOND.), PH.D., DIP. COMP. ENG., D.I.C., CENG, FIEI, MICT
    1.10.01 Bruce Dudley Robert Misstear, B.A., M.SC. (BIRM.), CGEOL, CENG, FGS, MIEI, MINSTWM, MCIWEM
    1.10.05 Brian Michael Broderick, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.), PH.D. (LOND.), D.I.C., MIEI, F.T.C.D. (2006)
    1.4.92 Paul Meredith Johnston, B.A.SC. (TOR.), M.SC. (LOND.), CENG, FGS, MICE, MASCE
    15.7.98 Dermot William O’Dwyer, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.), PH.D., CENG, MIEI
    15.9.98 Alan John O’Connor, M.A., B.A.I., PH.D., MIEI
    1.5.01 Laurence William Gill, B.SC. (LANC.), M.SC. (N’CLE (U.K.)), CENG, MICE
    1.10.05 † Brendan O’Kelly, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.), PH.D. (N.U.I.), P.G.DIP. HIGHWAY AND GEOTECHNICAL
    ENGINEERING, P.G.DIP. COMPUTERS FOR ENGINEERS, EUR.ING., CENG, CENV, PGEO, FGS, MICE, MIEI, MIGI
    † Sara Pavia Santamaria, B.SC. (ZARAGOZA), PH.D. (ZARAGOZA)
    † Wai Yeun Szeto, B.ENG. (HKUST), M.PHIL. (HKUST), PH.D. (HKUST), MHKSTS
    Donal O’Sullivan, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.I.E. (N.U.I.), M.ENG. (BERKELEY), CENG, FIEI, MIMECHE
    Nael Georges Bunni, B.SC. (BAGHDAD), M.SC. (MANC.), PH.D. (LOND.), FICE, FIEI, FCIA, FIAE
    * John Barry, B.E. (N.U.I.)
    * Peter Thomas Flynn, B.E. (N.U.I.), CENG, MIEI, MISTRUCTE
    * Philip Hanrahan, B.E. (N.U.I.)
    * John Christopher O’Connor, B.E. (N.U.I.), M.ENG.SC. (N.U.I.), CENG, FIEI, MISTRI
    * John Charles Reid, M.A., B.A.I., M.SC., PH.D., CENG, MIEI
    * Seán Rothery, B.ARCH. (N.U.I.), PH.D., FRIAI
    1.10.95 Ronald Charles Cox, M.A., M.A.I., PH.D., CENG, FIEI, FIAE, FIIS, MICE
    1.11.04 Paul James Murtagh, B.E. (N.U.I.), PH.D. (Government of Ireland)
    2.5.06 Brian Caulfield, B.SC. (MGMT) (E.P.A.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Once the CAO bull**** is over and the 3rd level course starts (whatever it may be), LC points are irrelevant. I've seen many students with > 400 points drop out after 2 weeks while others with minimum (115) points emerged with 1st class honours degrees. In my opinion, LC points is primarily a measure of ability to pass a memory test and is not always a good indicator of aptitude for a particular 3rd level area.

Einstein failed at school - what did that prove?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Ibid wrote:
    Eh, that's just not true. I see one staff member that didn't start out at least degree level, put in bold. (I've removed technicians and administrators and the like).

Did they not teach you to count?:)
    wrote:
    1.1.05 Paula Maguire, B.SC. (N.U.I.), PH.D. (D.I.T.) (Science Foundation Ireland)

21.3.01 John Thaddeus Gaynor, B.SC. (SYST. INF.), M.A., DIP. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (D.I.T.), DIP. INFORMATION SYSTEMS

That's the guy I bolded.
    Started out with a Bachelor of Science, presumably in UCD. [That's the B.SC (N.U.I.) bit]
    As above; B.Sc.
    Started at Masters' level.
    McSandwich wrote:
    Did they not teach you to count?:)
    Ibid wrote:
    Eh, that's just not true. I see one staff member that didn't start out at least degree level
    Did they not teach you how to read? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Anyone noticed this thread is two years old or thereabouts? no, no one? mmkay.

anyhow, I'm gonna leave this unlocked if yee all want to discuss it (and I find it interesting) but only if yee stay civil (no engineering pun intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

DJDC wrote: »
    I was only takin the piss u twits.my piece of comic genius had the word "sarcasm" printed all over it.some of u people really help reinforce the boring stereotypical image of engineers.get a sense of humour u losers.
    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Advertisement