Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Summons - seat belt

Options
  • 01-06-2005 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

It was christmas eve, i had just pulled away from my illegal parking spot and the guard was pissed off that he missed me so stopped me and started checking insurance tax license etc... trying to find something wrong

I had driven no more than 15/20 metres and had seatbelt in my hand and clipped it in when he stopped me.

He didnt stop me for seatbelt, just checking stuff. He gave me a bit of cheak and i just sat there taking it, then he said he was giving me a seatbelt ticket.

I had not left 1st gear(going less than 5mph), i was half on the footpath to pass a car obstructing the lane..

He was also angry cause a women he just ticketed was giving him and his partner a load of abuse.

So basically he was being a cnt.

Now i always clip in seatbelt, even when i sit in back seat!!
    was just in a rush to pull off cause i saw him walking towards car with ticket book....

Can i do anything about it, or has this fkwit got me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Are you not meant to have your seatbelt on before you start the car and then take it off after you turn the engine off? Or is that my just my twisted little procedure :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

qz wrote:
    Are you not meant to have your seatbelt on before you start the car and then take it off after you turn the engine off? Or is that my just my twisted little procedure :confused:
    I don't know but given that you don't need to wear a seat belt whilst reversing then I would doubt it!
    Explain to the judge that the garda was watching you putting it on and you should be ok. The garda mightn't even go to court!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

never been summoned before, how much time do you get to explain yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you put on the seat belt after you pulled away then he has you. Theoretically if you were putting on the seatbelt while driving he could have gone for a careless driving charge of some kind too. Obviously, he would have to say that he saw you putting your belt on - in which case the word of a Garda...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, and the bit about driving on the footpath ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement