Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf MK4 Alloys?

Options
  • 01-06-2005 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Thinkin of getting a new alloys for a 2001 VW Golf (1.4) and i was wondering how big I can go without doing damage? 18"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

you can go bigger but 17" or 18" would be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

erm i wouldnt bother getting 18"s

a) on a small car like a golf and

b) on a 1.4

they are slow as it is and itll take the edge off acceleration, alos you may need to modify the arches

nice 17" gti type rims would be nice

try www.performancealloys.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

Wouldn't have gone bigger than 18" anyway jus thinkin if they'd do damage if i went wit the 18"- the arches are huge though they would'nt need modifying- any1 no abount lowering if I went with 17"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

A user called derv has a nice set of Kahn's over in Motors For Sale...

Depending on your budget, that is a very easy car to lower. KW, Bilstein, FK, Spax, Apex, GMAX and Koni all do kits to drop Golfs and are easy to fit and set up - check manufacturers websites and demontweeks.co.uk. Only fit aftermarket wheels with an offset that matches the current wheel or fit hubcentric spacers to get the offset to the desired setting (again performancealloys.com sell these).

18" wheels will affect the 'feel' of you car and may make it less pleasant to drive, depending on the tyres you fit - expect it to 'tramline' and become skittish. I saw a Civic on 22"s recently so don't hold back...

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

Nice one for the help- set a few things straight in my head, appreciate it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

It is fine to put 18" on a golf, if a R32 has 18"s there is no reason why a 1.4 can't.
    Acceleration will suffer a bit but it wasn't anything spectacular to begin with.
    Best idea would be to find some with 17" or 18" wheels on a golf and ask them for a spin.

Advertisement