Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Other Options Than Having To Repeat 6th Year?

Options
  • 01-06-2005 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I was just wondering if I weren't to get the points I'm aiming for this year, is there any other way of getting those much needed points or maybe sitting the exams next year without having to repeat 6th year again?

Any help's much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

If at CAO time you don't get a course you want to do you can:

Sit on your arse/work/play tennis for a year and reapply with the same points and see if the required points change.

Repeat the leaving cert and do the exams again.

Just do the exams again and do home study etc.

ARe you really so certain there is only one/two things you want to do. I generally say there's no big deal repeating the leaving, gives you a chance to rethink a lot of stuff.

Also, it sucks to start a course you hate. and don't want to do.

There are ways to get into colleges by applying directly, I believe. Not sure how though. Info mightn't be accurate though.

But disregarding that, you could always apply to do the A-Levels up the north. A friend in college did both the LC and the A-Levels, and he didn't regard the A-Levels as any more difficult then the LC.

If it is something like Medicine, you could consider staying off until you can apply with the proposed 450 points + interview thing. Again, there's no guarantee you get it.

And finally a little piece of advice - I got my first choice in college. As it turns out, it sucked, I'm currently doing what I had down as my 10th choice! Your expectations may change, but either way all the best in the Leaving.

i would definetly consider what myth says to be extreme. doing A-levels would be well awkward on your own, and so would moving to a NIrish school.

Also, direct application....hmm....i mean unless there are lots of stuff you're not telling us this won't work either. There are access progams for students from disadvantaged areas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

Thanks guys, much appreciated! The reason I asked, was just because I'm afraid I won't get those points I'm after or worst still fail the Leaving Cert. Truth is like a few people on here I have done little or no work up until a few days ago and am now panicking, even though I know I've only myself to blame.

Out of the options you've posted Kevin I'd much rather "just do the exams again and do home study etc." if and only if I don't get on the course/courses I'd like to. I didn't even know that option was available. Thanks again!

it's never to late to do lots of study and improve your grades. you never can tell how well you will do and how many points your course will be. May the force be with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

you could always do a plc course!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

yeh some guy came to our school from a plc place and said you can get up to 400pts if you get 8 high grades in a plc course starting next year. im concidering it for next year if i fail maths . ill do a plc and repeat my maths couldnt stick school for another year

yeah that's a good idea

Isn't is too late to enroll in a PLC course now though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

The leaving cert isnt the "be all and end all". If you dont get sufficiant points, you can always repeat it. Not by repeating the year, but taking grinds elsewhere. It may not sound like much of an alternative, but it's far better than staying in 6th year. Personally, I wouldnt mind doing this. I know of one person that re-sat her leaving cert after 6 months in The Institute and came out with straight A's. Just dont sweat it, it aint the end of the world.

• Advertisement

yeah and there's also lot's of people who repeat and get 10 points more or stay the same.

yeah and there's also lot's of people who repeat and get 10 points more or stay the same.

I know what you mean man, really I do, but I've seriously took both 5th and 6th year for granted and it's only now that I've realised of what a mess I've left myself in by doing nothing up until now. As a result I'm studying from when I wake up in the mornings to when I go to bed, trying to make up for lost time - I just want some reassurance that if I do fail miserably, that I have other options. But I really appreciate what you've said in here as well as what everyone else has said so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

another suggestion to add to your collection...apply as a mature student at 22/23 cant remember which. As long as ya get get minimum subjects requirements ya've a very good chance of gettin in.

Dont worry too much tho it really sounds as if you're puttin in the work now which is what really counts. Quality not quantity and all!!
    5th and 6th year are gone you cant go back [unfortunately 4 some of us] we just have to concentrate on gettin stuff done now. And they say its never too late.. dont they!!
    seriously best of luck i'm sure it'll all work out for ya!!
    and i kno its a cliche but if it was meant to happen it would happen!!o that doesnt sound too positive does it ignore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

R.D wrote:
    I was just wondering if I weren't to get the points I'm aiming for this year, is there any other way of getting those much needed points or maybe sitting the exams next year without having to repeat 6th year again?

Any help's much appreciated!

You should start be *seriously* reexamining your choice, and your results.

If you are off by 10 or 20 points, a resit might be a great idea.

If, on the other hand, you are off by 60 or 70 or 100 points, you need to get a sense of perspective and realise that the course is probably pitched at a level above your abilities.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too harsh - it's not intended to - I can only go by what's in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

My sister failed Maths first time round and then spent the next year studying at home and repeated only Maths the next year, she had enough points first time, just needed the Maths obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Im a repeat student. Its not fun, but if you knuckle down and work hard you will reap the rewards! My mocks results this year were 180 points higher than my mocks results last year. But don't fall into the common trap. Just because you've done it before things look familiar but don't get cocky! Remenber you're repeating because you DIDN'T know it well enough the first time round. Dont be lazy, if you get an essay assignment in Eng and have the same essay sitting at home from last year, DO IT AGAIN ANY WAY! From SCRATCH!!!

People who stay the same do so because they do not try to actually do up and fool themselves! I really hope you get it though!! Fingers crossed! If worst comes to worst work hard and make sure you achieve your dreams! Never settle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

What do you want to do?
    There are loads of routes into most college courses.
    If you don't get the points for university, do the equivalent three year IT course.
    After that you can usually transfer to 3rd year university and do two more years.
    It's only one extra year overall so it's the same as repeating the leaving, but you'll probably end up with a better knowledge in your real area.

Again thanks for the great advice Scraggs, Eoghan, Marie, Cherry Pie and Bandraoi!
    pingu_girl wrote:
    you can get up to 400pts if you get 8 high grades in a plc course starting next year.
    Anyone have any more info on this?!
    bandraoi wrote:
    What do you want to do?
    I'm was hoping to get enough points to study Biology in Maynooth dude, though I have considered doing the equivalent three year IT course in Dundalk (its closer too) just hope the stress of the exams doesn't get too much and I get the 110 points needed.

Advertisement