Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief? and Deposit query??

Options
  • 01-06-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I moved out of my rented place yesterday to my grandmothers while waiting for my House closing date (my first house yay :D)

Anyway due to damage to a carpet, well more a big stain but in my infinate wisdom i tried to remove a red wine stain with bleach. It turned cream/white carpet yellow.. well a yellow streak where it landed on the carpet.

Anyway out of €810 deposit i was due back, he took away €500 on the assumption it will have to be replaced. He said if he can get it cleaned he would give it back minus cleaning costs.

Anyway its a lot of money to lose but im sure im entitled to rent relief which might lessen the blow!
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/renting_a_flat_or_house/tax_relief_for_tenants.html
    So anyone claimed this? Is it straight forward? I requested they send me a receipt etc so i can put the claim in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭zervi2003

Bad luck on the carpet.

Ive had something similar happen me. Sucks.

Anyways, go to the tax office, fill in the form (you need your PPS no, landlord address info etc) and give it back to them.

As far as I know, you can only claim up to 1, 500 in rent relief in a tax year period. Then your tax will be adjusted according to how much relief they think you should get.

As your contract is finished, I dunno if they would allow you to claim now. They may back date it though. Go to tax office (or ring) and they'll sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Saruman wrote:
    Anyway due to damage to a carpet, well more a big stain but in my infinate wisdom i tried to remove a red wine stain
    (1) stop drinking red wine in carpeted areas.
    with bleach. It turned cream/white carpet yellow.. well a yellow streak where it landed on the carpet.
    (2) Use Stain Devils to remove stubborn stains.
    Saruman wrote:
    Anyway out of €810 deposit i was due back, he took away €500 on the assumption it will have to be replaced. He said if he can get it cleaned he would give it back minus cleaning costs.
    (iii) Carpeting a room with rental quality carpet hardly costs €500 and anyway, a certain amount of wear and tear is reasonable.
    Anyway its a lot of money to lose but im sure im entitled to rent relief which might lessen the blow! http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/renting_a_flat_or_house/tax_relief_for_tenants.html So anyone claimed this? Is it straight forward? I requested they send me a receipt etc so i can put the claim in.
    Get a receipt from the landlord for anything you have paid him. The credit is €1,500 x 20%. I'm sure you have spent more than €1,500 on rent in the year.

You don't need to give the receipts to revenue, but hang on to them if you ever have an audit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Victor wrote:
    (iii) Carpeting a room with rental quality carpet hardly costs €500 and anyway, a certain amount of wear and tear is reasonable.

A wine stain and bleach damage is not normal wear a tear! A decent wool carpet in a smallish room can easily cost €500. Cheap sythetic carpets are hard wearing but stain easily while wool will not wear as well but eaier to clean. It is best to buy wool which is more expensive because it can be cleaned between tenants. Wine stains can be removed but bleach stain is most likely damage that warrants replacement.
    I buy wool because it can be cleaned between rentals and depreciates about the right time for tax claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Oh i dont need the receipts to claim? Thats cool. I will go through the motions of getting the receipt. Have not heard from them since i asked about posting or dropping up to the house... You see they said thats fine but will need a reference from my employer, i was supposed to give one to them when i moved in but kept forgetting as they never pushed me for it. So i said fine, i will get one and asked should i post it to them or just drop it up to them.

Maybe they are hoping i go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Saruman wrote:
    Oh i dont need the receipts to claim?
    They can ask you though as any stage.
    A wine stain and bleach damage is not normal wear a tear!
    The occassional non-obvious stain after X years is normal, the bleach of course is another matter. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement