Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Rail Plan - decision???

• 01-06-2005 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Anybody know if they are any closer to announcing a decision on this? I remember the junior minister waxing lyrical that an announcement was imminent a couple of months ago. Any insider info available? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭SeanW

Forget it - no-one knows when the government intends to stop dithering over the 10 year plan - and this may include the government.

I've heard rumours of "insider" information about an announcement being due by the following Monday - but that was 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Im starting to think that the so called 10 year plan doesnt exist. It was just though up to pause the growing pressure to expand the DART/Luas etc. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A few things

(a) Transport committe yesterday when IÉ/CIÉ said they would follow political direction on the WRC at whatever level of subvention the government was happy with.

(b) Expectation that Luas line B1 will move forward.

(c) SEM opening at the end of June is the perfect oppurtunity to approve (b).

Some announcement needs to be made before the silly season and construction needs to be seen of several projects by the end of 2006* in time for the election. As to whether they will gamble with trying to get anything finished between now and then is another matter.

Note the number of NRA projects to be completed this year compared to next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Victor wrote:
    (a) Transport committe yesterday when IÉ/CIÉ said they would follow political direction on the WRC at whatever level of subvention the government was happy with.

Yeah I thought the response from the CEO of IE was very good, to the question of the viability of the Sligo- Limerick rail link. Not quoting exactly, but he more or less said, anything is viable if you give a big enough subsidy.
    In english, this means it's not viable as a profitable business! And to think that RTE's Oireachtais Report said he was avoiding the question, pretty damn clear to me. If anything needs a subsidy, then it's not viable.
    Victor wrote:
    (c) SEM opening at the end of June is the perfect oppurtunity to approve (b).

Again only in Ireland. When we officially open a road, then we will announce that we will have to introduce road works on that road to facilitate a new bridge to carry the Luas from Sandyford to Cherrywood.
    Tell me Mr. Politican, "when the bloody road was being held up because of issues with Carrickmines, could we not have built the bridge then".
    "No you imbecile, that might involve forward planning" (apologies I know you can't have any other such of planning by defintion, it's just a cliche)
    Victor wrote:
    As to whether they will gamble with trying to get anything finished between now and then is another matter.

I rarely defend politicians but in this case, the fact that we had a recession in 2001/2002. This meant that the number of projects that were due to start in 2002 and were delayed because of lack of funding was massive. To be fair, that was shrewd cash management. As it was, the budget deficit was quite high those years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Victor wrote:
    He was not happy to talk about it, he did not look comfortable his words on the lines of give anything a large enough subsidy it will be profitable. He was interrupted while he spoke

At the end of the day, the minister tells IE what to do, since he has the money for capital projects

God only knows when the 10 year plan will appear at the speed things are going is going to be a 9 year plan
    Victor wrote:
    (b) Expectation that Luas line B1 will move forward.
    Have the plans in front of me looks like a certainty but eqaully is going tomeet major opposition at public inquiry stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MarkoP11 wrote:
    God only knows when the 10 year plan will appear at the speed things are going is going to be a 9 year plan
    2004-2006 Road safety plans, published 2005 :rolleyes:

Advertisement