Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a quick question or two...

Options
  • 01-06-2005 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi all,

Could anybody suggest a decent rimfire rifle for a beginner shotist, bearing in mind that my budget is not very large. Also If any of you know of a shooting range near or in Co. Waterford.

Thank you. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Your best bet is to look for a second hand Brno .22lr , this is a really good beginners rifle and will be eligible to shoot silhouettes and targets , its also a great Rabbit gun . You want to budget for a scope and a good rule of thumb is to spend as much money on the scope & mounts as you can afford . You should pick up a good second hand Brno and scope for around €450 to €550 . I dont know if there is a range near you but MRC is a central point .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i bought my .22wmr (22 magnum) for €300 in very good condition but it came with no scope but a good scope to suit the rifle will only cost about €40-60 you can spend more if you want to but i dont see the need expensive scopes are only need when high accuracy is required at long ranges

.22lr is the standard 22 bullet with a range of around 80
    .22wmr takes a longer bullet and will do around 150yards

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Limited budget? A second-hand BSA martini. Accurate enough for ISSF shooting, cost anything from a hundred sterling down to zero (they've been given away to clear out space in gunshops).

bsa-intl.jpg

You might check out this thread on cheap entry points to the sport as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

stick with the 22lr as the ammo is nice and cheap, and as a beginner you will be using a lot!!

If you are going to do any hunting I'd make sure the barrel is bored for a sound suppressor ..

I've got a Brno 22lr, excellent rifle, Tasco 6x24x50 scope (overkill) which only cost me $135 in the states..

Advertisement