Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2700+ versus 2500+ both @ 2.2GHz???

Options
  • 01-06-2005 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Mmm. So the only difference really is the 256k cache on the 2700+ versus the 512k on the 2500+. Well, the 2500+ might run hotter if more volts are needed (probably).

I have the 2700+ running happily @ 2.2GHz.

Is it worth all the bother of swapping over to the 2500+? Would there be enough of a perfromance gain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

No i doubt there is much point. You should be looking toward A64's if you are upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

You wont be allot better off doing that upgrade. But you could always get a chip that i have in my computer at the moment. A 2500/2600+ mobile which can clock even better then the barton. But you would want to have good air cooling some people have got these chips up to 2700mhz. I can run mine at 2500mhz stable but at the moment im running it at around 2430mhz with alot more FSB.

I think you be better off holding onto what you got until its time to change your whole set up to a 939 amd64.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I used to get 2.5ghz with my mobile no probs, that came down to 2.4ghz when i installed another stick of ram. I prob could have went higer on the fsb but just never bothered. 2.4 stable with temps below 50C underload.
    Got a skt 939 3200winchester now. Not figured out how to get it stable but i can justa bout get into windows with the fsb up from 200 to 300.
    Your prob better of going with skt 939.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

Having done a little more delving into this question, I found the following excerpt in a digital-daily.com article about the Barton core:

"As regards the L2 cache size increased to 512K, we won't dwell on this aspect. That is the major peculiarity of the Barton core which we have rounded up in previous reviews. A brief resume: depending on the application, the increased L2 cache size gives 3-10% performance boost."

This might mean a few hundred 3Dmark points, eh?

Anyway I had already bought the 2500+ to build a PC for a friends kid. But then thought, hmm, maybe I should pop it in my own rig for that little more oomph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

well if it doesnt cost you anything....
    Why not pop it in?
    The higher spec cpu will look better to them to. As long as they dont go overclock

• Advertisement
Advertisement