Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry Quotations

Options
  • 01-06-2005 10:51pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea how many quotations you need to use in a standard answer? Like Hamlet, is it one quotation per paragraph, or is that too much?

Comments

I'd generally try to use about 3-4 for every point that I'm making, which usually takes up an A4 page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

who said you need that much in Hamlet? :eek:
    you need to back everything up, so basically if you make a statment like about an image or something.
    eg. "The poem "i felt a funeral in my brain" is also a metaphor for a nervous breakdown. Dickenson describes mourners treading on her brain "kept treading- treading". This evokes the idea of an agonizing migrain which often preceeds a breakdown" (sorry thats **** but i can't explain myself without examples)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

wow your view of that poem is completly different to any points we were given on the poem...

Really? The view above would be the same as my view? What points were you given on the poem?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think it was randomfella who said that about Hamlet, I probably wouldn't use that many myself, more one quotation per large point. I'm just really afraid I won't have enough of them learned for the poetry. I'm fine for Hamlet, and for Emily Dickinson, but the rest of them? Blah, I only half-know the quotations for my other poets. Please let Dickinson come up!! (I am gonna learn all the other quotations tomorrow though)

• Advertisement

well its clearly also about her visualizing her own funeral.....
    share what you were told!!!

she's tipped, she's my fave too.
    im learning "4 things i like/hate(heaneey+kav, i hate u) about each poet", all poetry qs are Personal response basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

if i was you i wouldn't bother too much learning quotes. rely on what you already know. if memory serves me correctly, the poetry question counts for very little of the actual over all percentage, and having a well worked answer with quotes and a well worked answer with out is only a few marks. i'd say a maximun of .5% difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

my teacher said that 50% of poetry marks go for correctly quoting.

As did mine, and she corrected the LC many times before.

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    my teacher said that 50% of poetry marks go for correctly quoting.
    codswallop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Lol. I don't think quoting makes up the marks at all. It's how well you use the quotes to back up your answer, not the amount of them.

Yes. I thought that was what we were implying. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Fishie wrote:
    I think it was randomfella who said that about Hamlet, I probably wouldn't use that many myself, more one quotation per large point. I'm just really afraid I won't have enough of them learned for the poetry. I'm fine for Hamlet, and for Emily Dickinson, but the rest of them? Blah, I only half-know the quotations for my other poets. Please let Dickinson come up!! (I am gonna learn all the other quotations tomorrow though)

Yeap it was me. Its true if u want an A answer, just to make u feel good i barely know any myself!! Poetry will come flowing out my ears well when i say poetry i'm really just talking about Dickinson or Boland.

It makes logical sense that the person who has more quotes should get a higher mark. Obviously there is a balance about going over the top, i mean i remember i wrote out an entire poem in the junior cert or something stupid just to show i knew it. That won't happen here though. ITs about being personal and conveying the impact the poetry has on u.

Another tip i have which is just one i came across myself looking through the past papers. If, like me you bank on 2 poets, know them inside out. I'm doing nearly all their poems (d and b) just so that if say for instance dickinson they ask to discuss JUST her poems dealing with death or visa versa her poems on nature. IT happened a few years ago with some poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

If, like me you bank on 2 poets, know them inside out.

Ooh that sounds really risky, even though I know that a woman has come up every year (or so I hear), I thought I was bad I am going to have 4 and a poor 5th hopefully done for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Quoting is obviously important-accoring to my teacher AND the marking schemes you need quotes to show your actual involvement in the poem as a whole. Its much easier to put your point across too when you have the actual lines on paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Quotes are really needed! Stat's showed a few years back that over 30% of people going into the exam had never read the poems, a further 25 - 30% were not able for High Eng. Therefor the marking scheme was changed and relevent quotes becaome paramount to A's and B's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sugar lumps

It depends on the points you ar making and your originality. Our English teachers gave us loads of poetry essay tests during the year. In my Dickinson essay I stated a point and then used a quote to back it up and I got 90pc. Then in my Kavanagh essay she said I used too much quotes and not enough opinion and I only got 70pc

It depends on the points you ar making and your originality. Our English teachers gave us loads of poetry essay tests during the year. In my Dickinson essay I stated a point and then used a quote to back it up and I got 90pc. Then in my Kavanagh essay she said I used too much quotes and not enough opinion and I only got 70pc
    i'd go with that maybe not for Hamlet, but poetry is always meant to be your response

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Fishie wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea how many quotations you need to use in a standard answer? Like Hamlet, is it one quotation per paragraph, or is that too much?
    Since when was Hamlet a poem?

But yeah, it would be wise to include at least one quotation to back up every point you make. You don't want to be quoting great chunks of things, but at the same time it's vital that you refer, refer, refer back to your texts/poems/whatever, and quotation is a very effective was to do this.

And for the record, you will lose a lot of marks for not using quotations.

• Advertisement

Since when was Hamlet a poem?

But yeah, it would be wise to include at least one quotation to back up every point you make. You don't want to be quoting great chunks of things, but at the same time it's vital that you refer, refer, refer back to your texts/poems/whatever, and quotation is a very effective was to do this.

And for the record, you will lose a lot of marks for not using quotations.
    I was referring to the other thread (about hamlet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

So much attention is put to quotes. They aren't THAT important.

Of course you need a few, but it's just as acceptable to construct sentences using the words from the poem/play e.g "Hamlet calls himself "pigeon-livered" and claims to "lack gal"."
    You don't have to lay out quotes etc.

"Yeats counts the swans as "nine and fifety", with "nineteen years" having "come upon" him since his last vist.".
    This is just as acceptable and probably easier.

Im not saying fill your answer with one word quotes, but formulating the amount of quotes you need is totally unnecessary.

TimAy wrote:
    So much attention is put to quotes. They aren't THAT important.

Of course you need a few, but it's just as acceptable to construct sentences using the words from the poem/play e.g "Hamlet calls himself "pigeon-livered" and claims to "lack gal"."
    You don't have to lay out quotes etc.

"Yeats counts the swans as "nine and fifety", with "nineteen years" having "come upon" him since his last vist.".
    This is just as acceptable and probably easier.

Im not saying fill your answer with one word quotes, but formulating the amount of quotes you need is totally unnecessary.
    thats what i do!!!!
    apparently it looks better too, because it's not just a chunk of the text plonked in the middle of a paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

it's not just a chunk of the text plonked in the middle of a paragraph

Exactly

TimAy wrote:
    Exactly
    thats kinda what i've been trying to say.................. the examiners will give you credit if your answer flows better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭2e

If it helps, tutorial teachers advise 'sjqe' i.e statement justify quote expand. This can be used in reference to any answer and shows ''clarity of purpose'' for which 30% of the marks are going.....

2e wrote:
    If it helps, tutorial teachers advise 'sjqe' i.e statement justify quote expand. This can be used in reference to any answer and shows ''clarity of purpose'' for which 30% of the marks are going.....
    STRUCTURE ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

The good think about knowing all quotations by learning the poems obh is if you are ever stuck for something to say on a poem, recite the poem in your head and theres always something else you can say on the poem. Also a lot of quotations help increase the length of your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭2e

How long are you writing for your answer on Hamlet qs.?? ( Nne of that 'quality not quantity' crap either please)

Advertisement