Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 collapsed front- axels

Options
  • 01-06-2005 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

3 collapsed front-axels I saw this week all on VW's which is kind of strange because I never saw this happen a car before and now I've seen it happen 3 times in one week! all on VW's....is this a common problem for them ?

the cars was basically parked by the side of the road in a listing position...Their distraught owners obviously looking for a mechanic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

yup lower ball joint collapse happened to me in a vw 2 yrs old. oddly enough on speaking to mechanic it only seems to happen at low speeds, luckily. Mine collapsed climbing a hill at low speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

it's not April the 1st, so unlikely to be the same car in different locations.

However, was it the same model & year of car, ie, Golf, Passat, etc.
    Wheels on or off?.

Most VW I know of use a McPherson strut, which are pretty simple in construction, so the possible problems are, broken springs, broken spring support welds, broken lugbolts and the wheel fell off, broken lower mount points/joints or simply a flat tyre in a pothole.

It is possible that a particular make/model/year/batch all have a similar problem, which the co will probably deny until the lawsuits are knee deep, or they could address the matter correctly and issue a re-call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

oh yea our fleet had 3 collapse. not really into v.w's but our mech said lower ball joint collapse. all were v.w. synchro's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

stratos wrote:
    oh yea our fleet had 3 collapse. not really into v.w's but our mech said lower ball joint collapse. all were v.w. synchro's.

I'll believe you, probably got to do with some "brain" somewhere deciding the design in place and used on every VW since WWII needed to be "improved" and removed some 2¢ piece from the construction.

Advertisement