Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a new driver....

• 02-06-2005 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a new driver when i go to the states in the coming weeks. It will be the first time that ive bought a driver new( got a very acceptable hand-me-down of a callaway c4) so im not to sure what specs are suited to me.

If i went to the mcguirks shop with the driving range would they tell me what shaft stiffness, loft etc to get? or would i have to go to an instructor?

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whacker26

I have a driver in me pants .... tell your ma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

First off all read the ban list on www.gui.ie. It differs from america and you dont wna splash out to have to change it.

One of the best out there is the Ping G2, Taylor Made was but unfortunatly all their good ones are on the ban list, until they bring some replacements the G2 is taking over. It is a massive head that gives forgiveness and its relitavly easy to hit.

Your best bet is to get the industrial common model. What do you play off? Customisation is thought to be "a must" but it is just not. Do that when you are off single figures and swing the exact same everysingle time, until then get the common standard models. Simple tech

Young - Fast swing = Steel shafts in irons
    Old - slowish swing = Graphite
    Drivers = Graphite, stiff or whatever, steel is not as powerful and you will lose distance
    Woods = Same as drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Look guys, what bleedin good is a new driver if you're sh1te.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

One of the best out there is the Ping G2, Taylor Made was but unfortunatly all their good ones are on the ban list, until they bring some replacements the G2 is taking over. It is a massive head that gives forgiveness and its relitavly easy to hit.

With Taylor Made its only "particular" releases of their drivers that are non conforming. To say that the good ones are on the ban list isnt correct. For example the 580XD with the clear face centre is on the ist but the 580XD without is fine.

http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/clubs/2003888.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

-dan(the doc), its dave oc here-

well id be lookin at the tm r7 quad, which is conforming (some models). All i want to know is generally what club specs i should be getting cause if im paying a decent amount for it i dont wanna get something i cant use or that is not suited to me.

btw walshb im not ****e so in future if you cant answer my question dont bother posting at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

hey mag, ive been meaning to post that for a while now but i didnt want to get into it, the thought of the number 1 driver manufacturer not being consulted on the ban list and then not doing anything about it is just fricken ludicrus, its a billion dollar industry extremely poorly serviced in aul ireland because the consumer is too ignorant of whats available and its cheaper for the manufacturers to keep us that way.

but luckily dave6195 your going to the states the king of consumerism, you can go into a store bang drivers of varying lofts and shafts up a computer generated agusta or st andrews while having your ball ballistics analysed probably finding out that the driver you thought you hit best is 10 yards shorter than another. and you can DO IT ALL FOR FREE. then you can buy it off the rack or logon some site and get it cheaper.

sure you might improve thus leaving behind the opitimised spec for your driver but your more likely to improve if your driver suits you in the first place and more important youll enjoy your new club.

as for shafts their the engine of the club, not summed up by graphite or steel for young or old, yonex make only graphite shafts in their irons and kj choi is no aulfella off the pan. the main advan of graphite is that you canbuild a shaft with the same specs of steel only lighter which means you can build it longer so they generaly end up in drivers, also you can vary the flex at different points in the shaft easier than with steel making it simpler to get one that suits when your on the virtual st andrews in the staes.

ah god bless america.

if i was you given what is available in the states for free, get a lesson on your driver here before you go, practice it on the range a couple of times, so its nice and grooved, dont worry if ball flight isnt totaly perfect, then take that swing to states and get YOUR perfect driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Taylor Made have no regulated drivers on sale in McGuirks I have checked. The 540 anyway.

A dave man whats the crack nice to see you here. The quad is an excelent club,fantastic, and youll get it at a good price. Tell me when your going over, I might have a request for you =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Ill be saving €120 on it and am thinking of getting an oddessy 2 ball aswell ;)

Jus wondering how im gonna get that r7 through customs.....
    Should i just go for the blatantly obvious way of strolling by the lads at customs with it in my hand or has anyone had experience bringing single clubs through dublin airport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭dubal

best bet is to buy a cheap bag in walmart and dirty them up a bit

Advertisement