Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How the hell does someone get insured in this ridiculous country on a bike?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Biker.ie wrote:
    Might be an idea to get a duplicate Greek licence before/if you surrender yours, just purely to avoid all this bull$h|t red-tape (and p.points?) in future. ;)
    Nice try, but by surrendering his Greek licence it becomes invalid, and the Greek authorities (in principle) would be informed. In any case, when he goes back he's perfectly entitled to drive on his Irish licence until it expires too, just as he can quite legally drive here on his Greek licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I had the same problem with AON, they refused to quote me on an SV650(same engine) unless i got a grade 2 pass in one of their approved training courses. as its too powerful a bike (~70hp) and they dont recognise the non-factory restrictor, ok i only passed my irish test last week but wtf, the SV and DL are considered beginner bikes in the rest of the world.

CN insured me no questions asked, 980 for the year but not too bad considering i paid 780 last year for my 250 bandit.
    As a amtter of interest what are CN quoting for the DL?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

echomadman - CN is looking for around the 1800 mark on the DL 650 and AON simply refused to quote me on anything above a group 6. The DL is a group 9 but can be restricted to a 5. However, as AON does not recognize that restriction, there's no point really. The DL is only 68hp to my knowledge as it may be the SV engine but it is after all only a tourer.... And yes, in most of the western world, the 650cc bike is entry to mid level. As I mentioned, I started on a 500 anyway...

1800? you're in dublin or its environs so, thats crazy. Is it TPO, TPF&T or Comprehensive?.
    The SV is grp 10 with aon, CN use different groupings, it is the same engine but the DL is tuned for more low end torque. I dont understand why aon are being such **** about insuring people, its no wonder people just go out and drive uninsured with the bullshít you have to go through to be legal.
    Hibernian are still offering quotes up to the end of july, what are their prices like.

That's TPO in all cases.... And yep, I'm in Dublin indeed (er... look at my user name ID, etc).

AON just flat out refused as I said, unless I get under a group 6 (cause yeah, I can't kill myself on that if I was a lame driver, right?).

Hibernian online gives me a 1700 quote which is the best yet but I'm afraid of what happens next year. When they pull out, will CN still be giving me trouble and AON just refuse me cover?

It's all been said before I guess, but I find it hilarious on Hibernian's online system, that once I hit 30, my cover costs are almost halved. Cause yes, on my 30th birthday I will be imbued with special safe rider powers. Sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

I Have full UK licence(groups A and B )issued in 2000. This is an EEC model so I have no plans to exchange it until it's expiry in 2010. I have had no problems insuring cars and bikes since I have been here. I am currently with Carole Nash for the bike, they accepted my licence without question.
    If they are refusing your EEC (Greek) licence, but accepting EEC (UK) licences that is surely discrimatory and in breach of EEC rules?
    Do not accept it! Go to the top talk to a senior manager , if no joy see the insurance ombudsman.

yeah, its a bummer, AON's quote for me on the sv if i did go and jump through all their hoops was still higher than carole nash's.
    I'd go with Hib for the moment, then next year you'll have 1 years NCB under your belt (hopefully) that should help. and the whole license confusion may be easier to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

kermit_ie wrote:
    Whatever you do, don't get an Irish licence - you're leaving your self open for such nastiness as Penalty Points if you do :)
    ive been caught twice (speeding)
    both times i would swear i was not doing over 10 miles the limit
    & now im really screwed for getting car insurance.
    as my nice clear car licence is now ruined

Rippy wrote:
    I Have full UK licence(groups A and B )issued in 2000. This is an EEC model so I have no plans to exchange it until it's expiry in 2010. I have had no problems insuring cars and bikes since I have been here. I am currently with Carole Nash for the bike, they accepted my licence without question.
    If they are refusing your EEC (Greek) licence, but accepting EEC (UK) licences that is surely discrimatory and in breach of EEC rules?
    Do not accept it! Go to the top talk to a senior manager , if no joy see the insurance ombudsman.

Yes, and the insurance ombudsman will jump through hoops for me - I think I might get somewhere if I push a lot harder but the point, I don't have the energy or time for this kinda crap. You have to do all this just to be able to pay them an unreasonable amount of money!

As it happens, consumers may have rights but getting companies to respect them is another story - you should see the trouble I'm having getting a refund from an IT retailer for their screw up. But that's a story for another - I'm feeling way too grumpy today...

Still, thanks to all the people with links and all kinds of information - there's definitely a lot there for me to look at.

Advertisement