Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zalman finds a way to cool those hot prescotts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

man that's just obsene!

i'm assuming it's a joke of course. ;)

even your mountainous monster case wouldn't be big enough for that dubdvd!

you'd have to erect scaffolding inside the case just to hold it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Nah it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

very interesting

do you guys bother finishing your HS and dies with sandpaper and all that jazz?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I wouldn't sandpaper the die! That's the chip package itself! ;)

No I don't bother with lapping, a bit of Arctic Silver 5 usually sorts out most microscopic scratches/grooves. But I've heard of heatsinks with deep scratches that would need to be lapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

‘Big Boy Turbo Mega Fan 2’

Slow day in marketing...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Excellent, I've always wanted to build a jet turbine into a PC, finally there's a fan powerfull enough to make it happen, who needs a laptop when your PC flies everywhere you do :)

WizZard wrote:
    Nah it's true
    nah, it is!

have a look at the pics in your link.

the hsf in the centre is a large scale mock up of a fan they are releasing. the two on either side are the actual hsf's.

they have 92mm fans (read the specs), not 920mm fans! ;)

the big innovation which seems to just be a bit of an evolution of other heatpipe designs, is the figure of 8 heatpipes which makes them very efficient at moving heat around (twice as effective seemingly according to zalman).

for another clue, look at the base! good luck finding a mobo with enough room round the cpu socket to accomodate that baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Isnt this a step backwards rather than forwards? Seriously, who would want something like that in their case? €350 wc kit would sort you better

it claims to be more effective than most consumer WC kits, and very quiet.

still a bit big though imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The big one is a mock up of the real thing. Large scale so you can see it better. How is it a step backwards? If it lives up to it's claims then it performs the same or better than most w/c setups for a fraction of the price. Sounds like evolution to me and I think it would look pretty cool in a case. Is it noisy though?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A step in the right direction if all proves to be true... How it could be a step backwards is beyond me!!!

92mm fan, so it shouldn't be too noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

If the likes of the 7700-cu puts pressure on the socket and motherboard this must be much worse. With main proportion of the weight at the outermost point from the socket, this would multiply the stress effect on the motherboard. Obviously the Zalman tech dept have thought of this but id reckon it would be very unsafe to cough loudly near your system with this fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

lol, airetam_storm didn't realise that it was a joke by hexus....

The thing is bigger than a CM stacker, i dont think its for real...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

lol, airetam_storm didn't realise that it was a joke by hexus....

The thing is bigger than a CM stacker, i dont think its for real...

Are you sure now you didnt read all of the posts? Checkout the pics on Zalman site and look either side of the oversized Zalman cooler.

mad_m, your sig suddenly makes perfect snese! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

http://www.zalman.co.kr/mboard/mboard/mboard.asp?exe=view&board_id=comm_eng_notice&group_name=eng_community&idx_num=33#

Interesting that my system runs cooler with a £25 fan than their quoted data.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Any idea on how much this Zalman would cost?

the 'leading competitors heatsink 'with 120mm fan' is a bit of a giveaway isn't it! how many heatsinks have a 120mm fan?

temps are very biased towards the zalman too. who'd be using a heatsink if it let your cpu reach 75 degrees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

obviously it is not as big as the 1st pic as it would snap the mobo. If it works as good as a decent WC kit then fairplay , thats good. Looks crazy thoughLOL

Advertisement