Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Column

Options
  • 02-06-2005 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

Paul O'Donoghue of the ISS has secured a monthly column in the IT Health Supplement entitled 'Skeptical Eye'. The first column is due to appear next Tuesday. This seems an opportune time to have the column given some of the supplement's recent articles (see yesterday's articles on shamanism and Maureen Mulligan's strange amalgam of alternative practices).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

That's great news, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Yossie

That's great news alright. About time too, me thinks!

Paul, if you happen to see Prof Reville about D'Oliver St, throw him a dig from me :D Or at least leave a thumbtack on his chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I'll pass that on to Paul!! I know where you're coming from ... Reville's prosletysing can be grating, but at least he has wriiten a number of skeptical articles lately (for example, on homeopathy and astrology).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Yossie

:o Anybody know where "D'Oliver" St is?? :o

Hi Myksyk. Those articles weren't bad, I grant you that. But he has a long way to go to make up for the likes of:

'A little knowledge leads away from God, much...leads towards Him' (03 Mar)

'God was with the victims of tsunami' (13 Jan)

'Dawkins is wrong about religion' (25 Nov)

It is disheartening to note how often theists have trumpeted Prof. Reville's articles in Science Today. As a scientist, Prof. Raville should feel a little embarrassed that his articles serve as a call-to-arms for such believers who champion him as a scientist who believes in God. In this respect I think he does science and the whole tradition of rationality a disservice. Perhaps when "Doctor" Reville comments as a scientist, he should be scientific and rational. He is however welcome to comment irrationally on anything else he wishes but i'd like his by-line to read as "Believer" Reville. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Check out tody's Times for the first 'Skeptical Eye'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement