Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witness-help please!

Options
  • 02-06-2005 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

can anyone remember what John Book said to Samuel when they were sitting on the riverbank at the end of the film??
    Or anything significant about that scene?
    Im discussing relationships and need something to back up the point that theirs is unconventional but strong...dont have a copy of it so would appreciate any help please thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

nothing marjorly significant about the goodbye, but there is however a huge link to the birdhouse ib tge background. it is now fixed to suggest that book is leaving the amish community leaving things to ressume to normality as in the beggining we see book arriving and crashing into the birdhouse to suggest the world of the amish ppl has been rocked and torn apart by this outsider hiding amoungst them. dunno if thats what ur looking for, i havent touched on witness in awhile so thats from what i remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jdevlin

No nothing signifigant in the goodbye. One thing you could write about in regards to relationships though is the use of doorways and windows to show the separateness of the two worlds. book and rachel are often looking at eachother from either sides of a door or window, although they are close they can never forget that they come from different worlds. The is ignifigant in scenes like the shower scene. This is one of their most intimate moments yet book never enters the doorway nor does rachel leave it seems as though the boundaries between their different worlds are constantly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

With Book and Samual, Books walkes off without saing anything, then Samual says goodbye John Book and he also says goodbye, think thats it, Nothing of importance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

oh i know its nothing important but i need to contrast them with other father/son relationships so was kinda hoping there was something in that scene, cant think of anything they say that shows a bond tho...thanks for the help anyways!

there is a father son relationship in the last scene between eli and book if thats any help? have you got he film study guide? its an orange book by Sean Conlon.?

• Advertisement

i have that alright, so i suppose i could make a big deal about him saying "be careful out there among them english", like he said to rachel, ie.he has accepted him like a son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

"Would you like to pet my kitten?"

yeah its perfect compare that to the whole welcome or lack of that book recieved how eli told rachel that it just wasnt valid or feasible to have book hiding in their community and then at the end eli is almost warning book that his values have been instilled so becarefull when he returns with theses new values

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Who is Eli? Is it the guy that says goodbye to them when they get on the train (the young guy) or is it the old grandad guy? Whoever it isn't what is there name?

Also just wondering what book or novel or whatever you did to compare it to cause my teacher is thick and maybe you have ideas on what to compare.
    I did the statement. The shortest and most ridiculous book i have ever read.
    For those who by have read it to show how slow my teacher is on picking things up I had to tell him that the idea of the 'Statement' they were trying to pin to him was to make people think he got his just deserts. Also that in fact there was no group it was just people trying to cover there involement in what had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Eli is Rachel's father

btw you know the script is online: Witness script

• Advertisement

thats brill, thanks angel, didnt think of that!

Advertisement