Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A1s????

Options
  • 02-06-2005 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

do you need them?? (of course everyone wants them, i mean in terms of going for medicine or law)
    or do you want them just for pride??
    personally, ill be so pissed if i don't get an A1 in spanish :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well, you can hold them over other peoples heads, which is allways fun. I got two A1's if I recall. Physics and economics.

I'll shoot myself if I don't get one in Maths and Accountancy.

It just woudn't make sense! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

LiouVille wrote:
    Well, you can hold them over other peoples heads, which is allways fun. I got two A1's if I recall. Physics and economics.
    MAAH HAAA HAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

It depends.
    If you want them because you worked hard all year and studied a lot than they are good.
    If you want them to look intelligent, they aren't good
    If you need them for your course, they are very good.

i think people who work relly hard deserve them, even more than naturally intelligent people (who do no work).
    i admire the hard workers, i amn't and never will be able to study!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

so you're obviously naturally intelligent. or spanish.

no, thats just cos thers only 12 in my class, so everyones has a real high standard. + i have actually put alot of effort it in. languages are my (only) thing though (although if you saw my entries on the german thread you wouldn't beleive it)

actually being spanish only slightly helps. You'd expect anybody that had it as their first language would get an A1, but the spanish taugh here is very technical in terms of tenses and the like. Also poor grammer would be a problem.

Yeah you'd probably fail it Liouville, your grammar is most terrible.

French is easy compared to German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

would like three a1s and need them...but only really think two of those will materialise, irish and french, please god :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Am i the only one who believes that the Leaving has absolutely nothing to do with Intelligence. Apart from a select few subjects, the only thing you need to be able to do for the leaving is remember things and study. There is so little that requires ability.

LiouVille wrote:
    actually being spanish only slightly helps. You'd expect anybody that had it as their first language would get an A1, but the spanish taugh here is very technical in terms of tenses and the like. Also poor grammer would be a problem.
    (looks at siganuture) did you copy my rainbow lines!!???

Yes

LiouVille wrote:
    Yes
    thats cool, was jus wondering.
    just out of curiosity, are you spanish??

oh sparkley.

liouville's 100% irish i'm afraid.

TimAy wrote:
    Am i the only one who believes that the Leaving has absolutely nothing to do with Intelligence. Apart from a select few subjects, the only thing you need to be able to do for the leaving is remember things and study. There is so little that requires ability.
    no, i think that too....thats why i admire the studiers, they're making the most of the (crappy) system

hmmm id expect to get a1 in history and biology!tbh i thought there would be more stress with the leaving cert

I'm not spanish, but my boyfriend is pretty much fluent, more so when he was sitting the leaving cert. He got like an B1 or an A2, because the simple fact is allot of the very difficult grammer taught here is not used widely over there.

LiouVille wrote:
    I'm not spanish, but my boyfriend is pretty much fluent, more so when he was sitting the leaving cert. He got like an B1 or an A2, because the simple fact is allot of the very difficult grammer taught here is not used widely over there.
    yeah the LC is joke, especially with languages. we should be better able to speak after 5/6 years. but our brains are too full of grammer
    Bring on University spanish!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

TimAy wrote:
    Am i the only one who believes that the Leaving has absolutely nothing to do with Intelligence.
    Of course not, I completely agree with you. I know some highly intelligent people who got a mediocre leaving cert because they didn't work

I'd love to get an A1 in English, I got an A2 in the mocks and would love to push it up, but it's so hard to predict with subjects like that. Apart from that, I could get A1s in Biology or Classics, they're my other two best subjects. I don't actually need any A1s though, I'd just like to get them

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

the LC is joke, especially with languages. we should be better able to speak after 5/6 years. but our brains are too full of grammer
    Bring on University spanish!
    Oh goodness, don't even get me started! Especially with Irish... And I felt so embarrassed when I was last in Spain, because everyone there was so good at English and I could barely speak Spanish, even though I've been doing it since first year, and yet I generally get Bs in the exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

I'm just hopeing for a C3-B3 in every subject. If I got a B in any of them I'd be more than happy and very suprised. I need at least a C3 in Irish english maths and a continential language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm hoping for As, or A1s in 4 subjects...Music, Economics, Geography and English. It could happen though! Already done 50% of the Music and I'm pretty sure I got an A1 on that. As for the others...I shall see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

what course u going for waltons, do u need them A1s?

I'd hope to get A1 in german,
    maybe A2 in Geog if the paper was nice if not B1.
    B1 - business (long way from a d1 in mocks)
    B1 - english
    B1/2 - irish
    B1 - history (again depends on paper, get an A if right things come up)
    Maths hoping for a b3 but really don't mind as long i honour (c3)

that would leave me with -> score i won't get!! i'm hoping for 490 +
    but hey i'm an optimist. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

i'm hoping to get an A1 in ag science, if i dont it doesnt say much for me

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

im not em hopin 4 ne a1's! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I need Six A1's. My brother got 5 and a A2 so I'm trying to outdo him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I need 530+ for a scholarship to UCD for Comp Sci through arts. I'd need a fair few As or A1s to secure that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Its good to see people aiming high and looking for A1's but if you don't get one don't get stuck up about. My best results were 3 B3's in my leaving and I was frigging delighted with those!

• Advertisement

I'm hoping for:

Maths: A1
    Accountancy: A1
    Physics: A2
    App. Maths: A2
    Tec. Graphics: B1
    French: B1
    English: B2
    Irish: B3

Total: 540

What I will get:

Maths: A1
    Accountancy: A1
    Physics: B1
    App. Maths: B1
    French: B1
    Tec. Graphics: B2
    English: B3
    Irish: C1

Total: 515

I got 560 on my mocks and, although my expectations are low, I'd be happy with either of them 2 results as I thought the mocks were really easy. I only need 420 points anyway. :)

Advertisement