Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat is attacking my dogs

Options
  • 02-06-2005 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Our cat recently had kittens and she has been attacking my two dogs for no reason. She has had two liters before and she never went near the dogs. When she had her first two litters the dogs could go for a sniff around her kennel and she would'int care. Even when she was not in the kennel and she saw one of the dogs go in, she wouldint care. She started to attack them even before she was pregnant. The female dog now wont go near the cat or the kennel but the male dog is the problem. When she goes for him he fights back and twice he had her cornered ready to strike, before i pulled him away. (after the fight the two acted as if nothing happend). She also came out of no where one day and went for the male dog when he was eating a bone and she was lucky to get away with her life. She is the one who provoks the dogs and they normally take no notice of her. Is there anyway to sort her out before she gets injured or worse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You've got to keep the dogs away from the cat. It's only for a few weeks.

My cat was killed by a dog, the same could happen to your cat. She is only trying to protect her kittens, if the dog keeps upsetting her, she could very easily abandon her kittens. Trust me, I can tell you from experience that you don't want that.

It doesn't matter if she's the one who provokes the fights, and the end of the day if you hadn't been there to pull the dog away he would have went for her. You can't watch them 24/7, you need to keep them away from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Why is your cat not neuterd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Why is your cat not neuterd?

exactly. It's a bit irresponsable letting your cat have 3 litters. What happens to all the kittens ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

K-TRIC wrote:
    exactly. It's a bit irresponsable letting your cat have 3 litters. What happens to all the kittens ??
    The kittens were given good homes. She had 3 kittens the first time, two the second and now she has had another two.(Two homes have been found). She has had 3 liters over the past 3 years. Its only recently that she has become violent to the dogs. She was always a calm cat on got on well with the two but began to change a couple of months ago. With the first two liters she was grand but with the third she has been acting different. When the kittens are out playing and the dog goes over for a look she doesint care. But when either of the dogs are walking around minding there own business she goes for them. Its like a lion taking down a buffalo, she comes from behind and latches on to there back, and then she just walks away calmly. Dont like neutering an animal because they seem to chance, they act different. They seem sadder.

It doesn't matter whether she only started attacking the dogs recently or not, the fact of the matter is she is going to attack one of those dogs and the dog could react and could very easily kill her. Why isn't she and her kittens confined away from the dogs? That, and having the cat neutered, would solve your problem. Neutering does not make them "sadder" or anything like that. It is the responsible thing to do.

If you're concerned about upsetting the cat, don't you think letting her think her kittens are in danger, i.e. letting the dogs go near her, is upsetting her? She obviously doesn't trust the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Dogs arent a danger to the cat or kittens. Cat and kittens sometimes go over to where the dogs are lying in the sun and stay with them. She will even leave the kittens with the dogs and go off and bring back an unfortunate shrew for the kittens to play with. Dogs seem to have little intrest in the kittens until a strange cat appears and then that cat is quickly shown that it is not welcome by the dogs, while the kittens run back to there kennel. Winky has always been a different to other cats. I found her when she was very young in a ditch. All she has ever known is me and the two dogs. Even when i go for a walk down the fields she will follow me. Even when i give her food before i go for a walk she will leave it and follow us.Winky is the weirdest but best cat i ever had.
    Kittens are going to there new homes next week and the dogs are going to be staying out in my grans for a week and we shall see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

angry_fox wrote:
    Dont like neutering an animal because they seem to chance, they act different. They seem sadder.

No offence but you are anthromorphising way too much!

All the hub-bub over getting you animals neutered is not over nothing. Do the responsible thing and get her spayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Neutering your cat won't make her sadder, but it may well save her life ! Intact cats are much more likely to die on the roads as they will wander more widely, especially when in season. By being allowed to mate your cat is in danger of contracting FeLV and FIV among other things. Ireland is overflowing with unwanted cats and kittens, and by allowing your cat to produce kittens ur contributing to this. Ok, you've found homes for the kittens, but if you had your cat spayed wouldn't these homes go to one of the many many kittens who find themselves being handed into vets all over the country to be put to sleep?

angry_fox wrote:
    Kittens are going to there new homes next week and the dogs are going to be staying out in my grans for a week and we shall see what happens.

OK so. Just my cat was killed by a dog so I don't trust dogs half so much anymore. But you really should get the cat neutered now. Neutered cats live longer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

I suggest you read all the info on spay week. You are not doing your cat any favors by letting her breed year in and out and "us" in cat rescue are mopping up after you.Each kitten you give away will then go on to produce more kittens.The stats are horrific many of these kittens die as they are just handed to people who have little knowledge of cat kitten welfare. The biggest killer in kittens is folks not worming them at the appropriate age.Then it's just a cat!!!!!!!!!

This is a terrible year for unwanted kittens we have taken in 125 and they are still pouring in. We have mothers here in dire states some have not made it despite the best vet treatment, all because they have been left to breed year after year.Yesterday a 6 month old kitten aborted her own kittens, not a pretty sight and terrible that this little cat was allowed to have kittens, she spent a night in the vets saving her life.And costing the rescue over 150 euro's to save and donations are few, this money could have spayed/neutered 6 cats. This could have been prevented. We also have an old mother who now has no teats, as from breeding year after year, they have all been chewed away by many of her litters of kittens.

Please do the decent thing for your cat...Educated yourself and spay the poor girl. She will live a happier longer life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

Get your cat neutered - From my experience it really doesn't make a difference to their personality.

When I was younger we had a female tabby cat that wasn't neutered. On her first litter she had one kitten which we kept (mainly due to my incessant pleas, "mammymammymammymammypleeeeeease!?!?"). On her second litter she decided to take off to a nearby field to give birth. The only problem was the local farmer had put down bait for dogs who were attacking his sheep. The mother cat ate the bait and then passed the poison to her kittens though her milk.

I still remember a kid calling to the door and telling my dad there was a cat on the road and was it ours. My dad went out, found the cat and brought her home. Then the doorbell started to ring. Neighbours were finding kittens all over the place.

When the mother cat became sick she came home, but it was already too late (obviously she didn't want to leave her kittens), but when she did come home the kittens followed her, one by one. And one by one they slowly died as they made their way home.

I was only a kid at the time, it still hurts to think about a much loved pet being in so much pain.

It's a fine example of why you should neuter your animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We have always neutered/spayed our dogs/cats/rabbits and in NO way did it change their personality in ANY way!

Have your cat spayed, there are enough kittens and cats looking for homes.
    It will also stop your problem with the cat attacking the dogs, the cat is only protecting her babies.

Please be responsible and have her and her kittens spayed. When you rehome her kittens you are rehoming them unspayed and unneutered you are adding to the problem of unwanted litters.

Advertisement