Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FRENH- dropping to pass on the day?!

Options
  • 02-06-2005 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

hi all, need advice!! Ive had some pretty random teachers and havent had the same one for longer then 3 months for the past 3 years... im struggling to do the honours and has anyone any advice about dropping to pass on the day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Best advice I was given is make a desision and stick to it. Don't be chopping and changing! Sit down today and have a long thing about capability, points and chances of getting different marks and different levels. Then just stick to your final choice and prepare for it! Theres no problem dropping on the day! when the examiner says "what level" u say "pass" , easy! Good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

yeah, have a think about it now, before the exams start, don't drag it into the exams with you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Id say stick with honours. I find any pass subject just puts you down straight away with a possible max points of 60 ffs. Even if you've been struggling, you have still made it this far doing honours without being thrown out of the class or anything for lack of capability so imo you should do the honours paper. How did your oral go?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm in the same boat but with german,

i dropped down to ordinary level after a long hard think about it (1month)

the reasons i have decided to drop down was.

1. i got 29% in the mocks.
    2. to make up another 20% would be too much work.
    3. my teacher said i'd be capable of a "B" or a "A" in pass which is 35-60points which i'd never get in honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

well she didnt really help me at all during the oral so when i went in my confidence was fairly low but i did great until whn i left i was called back to say he forgot to press record so i had to prepare all over again for the next morning i was gutted so im still unsure whether he is taking the first or second oral marks. hopefully first as i was kinda upset during the second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Sarah** wrote:
    well she didnt really help me at all during the oral so when i went in my confidence was fairly low but i did great until whn i left i was called back to say he forgot to press record so i had to prepare all over again for the next morning i was gutted so im still unsure whether he is taking the first or second oral marks. hopefully first as i was kinda upset during the second.
    that is sssooooooooooooo terrible. i would have gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

surely you can dispute that when the results come out, i would anyway!

well as i said b4 my teacher is a nutter, when i asked her to ask the examiner she said grand but as usual she forgot... i dunno. maybe i should stay in honours and then if i fail bring up the fact that my oral results were they based on 1st or 2nd one. but i think id prob be better going to pass and avoiding the fail...yes or no? id ask the folks for advice but they havent a clue what id be talking about and being the last child to do it they havent much interest...oh well!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I dropped down to pass Spanish on the day of my Leaving Cert and don't regret it. I think its better to work on the assumption your doing honours, so you keep to a reasonably good level. Then depending how you feel about it on the day, and how you think other exams have gone, you can make a decision. I felt my other results had gone well enough to not need points in Spanish and there was no point risking failing honours when I could easily pass the ordinary paper and be done with it.

Thats assuming French is like Spanish, it was easy to drop down because the two papers are fairly similar. If the two papers have a lot of major differences you might need to be focussed on the one your doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Pass french is easy. I've done pass french for 6 years and I'm not exactly great at it. I got 54% in the mocks without any study. I'm now hopeing for a B. Just to give you an example of how easy it is. If you've studied for the hounours paper you'll be grand. You might want to just look at the a past paper before hand and possibly do a few letters or postcards.

• Advertisement

say i couldnt get a hold of papers if i went to exam.ie is there one there or any advice where i can get a hold of one?

Advertisement