Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored of rag doll effects

Options
  • 02-06-2005 12:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else bored of them. I was playing MOH:PA and Turok recently and noticed the wonderful death animations when an enemy was killed, soldiers writhing in pain when shot and dinosaurs thrashing around with blood pouring from their mouths. I think it's far more effective than HL2 and the Unreal games were the enemies just drop. Granted it looks lovely when a body is caught in an explosion but otherwise it's rather boring and very unrealistic. The effect in MOH:PA is a great example and despite the lack of blood is much more harrowing and effectivethan anything I've seen in the other two games I mentioned or their like. I wish developers could reach a happy medium like seen in Halo and Metroid Prime which combine animations with rag doll effects afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I agree, they look cool, sometimes even funny but totally unrealistic. Mercenaries takes it to the hilarity levels at times but I think HL2 in parts nails the dying soldier effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Rag doll is funny in source sometimes, its amusing to throw a grenade into a room and see a fella flying out the door afterwards

Rag doll physics are stupid sometimes like when you shoot someone in the shoulder with say a shotgun, no real reaction then shoot them again and they go flying back-thats what i dont like

Overall i think theyre allright but not perfect

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I was playing MOH:PA and Turok recently and noticed the wonderful death animations when an enemy was killed, soldiers writhing in pain when shot and dinosaurs thrashing around with blood pouring from their mouths. I think it's far more effective than HL2 and the Unreal games were the enemies just drop.

HL2 and MOH:PA run on Havok physics, as far as I know MOH:PA would be running on a more up-to-date version, possible with Havok’s integrated animation package too. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

sprinkles wrote:
    I think HL2 in parts nails the dying soldier effects.
    I love the way you can actually nail enemies to walls with the crossbow in HL2 :)
    There's that bit on the coast road after you first get it when you get to nail some combine peon to a big billboard that he's perched up on, ****ing great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Am , no and I dont think I ever will. Half life 2 , bolting to people to the wall , Souce - putting a bear gun to someones head pointblank , headshottage etc..

Really , rag dool effect are what make killing people so satisfying , I think you just obviously havent experienced them to their full extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The problem with custom death animations as opposed to ragdoll physics is that the animation might look cool, but after you've killed the 100th enemy who'd died in exactly the same way in a row then it starts to get boring. Ragdoll physics can be pretty dodgy in some games but as the tech gets better it can only improve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

monument wrote:
    HL2 and MOH:PA run on Havok physics, as far as I know MOH:PA would be running on a more up-to-date version, possible with Havok’s integrated animation package too. I could be wrong.

The rag doll physics only kick in after the death animation has ended in MOH:PA. They look godd then especially when the body floats down a river.
    Really , rag dool effect are what make killing people so satisfying , I think you just obviously havent experienced them to their full extent.

I have had one or two laughs from rag doll physics (I will always remember seeing it first in UT2003 when I died, fell down about 100ft and caught a jutting out pole right between the legs, ouch :eek: ) But i didn't find killing the bad guys in HL2 very satisfying. They just dropped to the ground after they died which is far more boring than any repeated death animation. Pacific Assault does it a lot better. Watching the enemies writhe in pain is very effective and it's also not as over the top as some games can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

They're getting a lot better. Games like Psi-Ops reached a fantastic midpoint in animation and ragdoll.. being able to jiggle a person about and have them flail a little, but try to regain enough composure to shoot you.

Similarly, the ragdolls in Destroy All Humans look pretty good - same as above, except with... cows, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

But i didn't find killing the bad guys in HL2 very satisfying.

Maybe you shouldn't murderer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have to say I LOVE ragdoll effects. They are one of the best advancements in games of recent years. It makes everything look so much more realistic...they are not perfect but give them a couple of years and they will be. Death animations get far too repedative although there are the exceptions to that rule. The death animations in perfect dark and goldeneye were great for the time.

One example of ragdoll effects working really well was in Hal Life 2. I flung a grenade into a room which killed two guys, a press was sent flying through the air from the explosion. It broke through the window and landed on an enemy soldier on the outside of the room...it was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah i love ragdoll physics but one thing that really annoys me is that it only kicks in after they die, i would love to be able to play a game where i could be able to, say, shoot an ememy in the shoulder, watch them spin around and maybe fall down then get back up again (ok it meay be unrealistic but it would be cool) or even shot a big demon with a machine gun and watch it it get slightly knocked back as each bullet hits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i though they can do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

not in anything ive seen, but im willing to play a few new games to see if they have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yea, I don't really like ragdolls too tbh, they just aren't "there" yet

that's why infinityward didn't go with ragdolls for call of duty 2, they are a very clever team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

madrab wrote:
    not in anything ive seen, but im willing to play a few new games to see if they have :D

Max payne 2 did it. Crap game but at least there is some satisfaction to be garnered by sending someone flying across a room with a continual hail of M16 slugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

max payne 2 wasnt crap just too short... really really short infact u cud easily finish it in 1 sitting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

max payne 2 was the best game of last year(or was it the year before). granted it was very short, but it looked amazing, had superb voice acting (which is something we never see in games) and had the best story ever (except FFVII).

and rag dolls are cool. we used to give out that we didnt have them, now we give out cause we do??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ragdoll needs to be done right and suit the game they are in:

Rainbow Six 3: Shoot a guy, he folds backwards over his knees and looks like he is doing yoga or presenting his "lunchbox" to you. This was not good.

Max Payne 2. Dual ingrams, bullet time, paint cans flying, bodies contorting and being fired across the room. Perfect for the game.

Done right ragdoll is great but poorly implemented it can wreck the atmosphere of a game.

Incidentally has anyone tried Cinema 1.6 mod for Max Payne 2?? I got it off a cover mount on PCZone and damn it makes MP2 even cooler like adding some amazing tunes for bullet time and changing maxs' look as well as some new weapons and new moves. I highly recommend it as a download for the BBand ppl out there to give it a whirl.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

CyberGhost wrote:
    that's why infinityward didn't go with ragdolls for call of duty 2, they are a very clever team.

Have to say having watched the vids for COD2 I am very impressed with the way they die (god that sounds sick). It looks like it would look like - like they look in modern war movies - saving private ryan and the like.

I have to say though - i do like ragdolls, it can be satisfying and very funny but generally while trying to be more realistic often end up less realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The best thing about ragdolls: no dead bodies clipping through walls. That really annoyed me about a lot of older fps games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I just had a quick game of CS:S last night, and i have to say the ragdoll effects in it really are incredible. I mean, id noticed them before obviously in HL2 & CS:S, but only after reading this thread i really noticed them, CT's getting shot and flying backwards, landing as youd expect a body to land, no clipping through walls etc. Seeing someone get shot in the leg and have thier legs fly out from under them as they crumble to the ground in a heap is waaaaaay better than any death animation, animations just usually look out of place, clips through walls, sometimes they screw up and you get dead characters stuck in an animation loop and stuff. Both have thier good points and bad points, but tbh ragdoll all the way.

Well in real life bullets don't spend people or limbs flying backwards even a close range shotgun shell to the chest won't do it. It only happens in hollywood movies.

madrab wrote:
    yeah i love ragdoll physics but one thing that really annoys me is that it only kicks in after they die, i would love to be able to play a game where i could be able to, say, shoot an ememy in the shoulder, watch them spin around and maybe fall down then get back up again (ok it meay be unrealistic but it would be cool) or even shot a big demon with a machine gun and watch it it get slightly knocked back as each bullet hits
    Yeah, as retrogamer said, Max Payne 2 had that.

But taking it a bit further, Havok used to have a 'zombie' demo that had a sort of "limited ragdoll" (which seems to be gone from their site now). In the demo, you had a zombie coming towards you. When you shot the arm, it went limp and 'ragdoll'-ish, but the zombie kept coming towards you. Likewise for various other parts of the body, until you shot the head. Cos as we all know, with zombies, the headshot's the only true stopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Well in real life bullets don't spend people or limbs flying backwards even a close range shotgun shell to the chest won't do it. It only happens in hollywood movies.

Maybe so but its still vastly more enjoyable than an animation, watching almost EVERY enemy die in the exact same manner, at least with ragdoll each enemy dies differently, and helps to suspend disbelief for longer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Ragdoll is cool. Point of interest; German authorities banned ragdoll animations in FarCry. Two World Wars and 6,000,000 Jews later its ok to shoot people in games..

.. Just so long as they don't look like they've been shot ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

lol, that's really odd

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Dude, these stories only happen in Hollywood movies.

I still think they look like a manniquin has just been shot. Hopefully the new physics engine that Unreal 3 is using will improve this by adding rigidity to the linmbs and not making them as floppy as hugh grants hair. I like the way limbs can be broken off if enough force is applied.

What I'd really like to see is enemies screaming in pain after I shot them. Very harrowing and much more realistic. Then while they are on the ground I can take out my pistol, shoot him in the head while shouting 'take that concerned parents groups!'. Now I'm off to kill something before I hurt myself. Mwhahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Retr0gamer wrote:

For handgun or small rifle bullets Id agree, but are saying you could take a shot from a shotgun at 1m and not fall (violently) backwards?

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

madrab wrote:
    or even shot a big demon with a machine gun and watch it it get slightly knocked back as each bullet hits
    Doom had that, well Doom1 and 2 had that, Cacodeamon, chaingun :p

But who can forget such great animations such as the headless raptor in Turok2? the spinning death in TFC? Ragdoll may be generally better, but I find the deaths very forgettable usually. First time you take a shotgun to a raptors mouth in Turok2 had me in stitchs.

Advertisement