Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored of rag doll effects

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Matt Simis wrote:
    For handgun or small rifle bullets Id agree, but are saying you could take a shot from a shotgun at 1m and not fall (violently) backwards?

Matt

he means your not going to get blow through the air like you see in some (bad) movies
    every see mythbusters they actaully did that once ?
    Every reaction has an equal and oppisite reaction so if the shotgun blew the "target" away if should push you back the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    he means your not going to get blow through the air like you see in some (bad) movies
    every see mythbusters they actaully did that once ?
    Every reaction has an equal and oppisite reaction so if the shotgun blew the "target" away if should push you back the same

Mythbusters actually shot someone at close range with a shotgun once? That's dedication!

nah just a piece of meat on hook shame wud have liked to have seen that ginger guy get shoot tho ...maybe next time

I'd imagine what would actually happen would be very very gorey and bloody and the bullets would be more likely to go through the body and out the other side than send the body flying. Not sure that would look better in a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

steviec wrote:
    I'd imagine what would actually happen would be very very gorey and bloody and the bullets would be more likely to go through the body and out the other side than send the body flying.
    Thats what I thought to, but recently I have seen a clip of a guy shooting himself in the head (PM if you really want to see it), it was suprisingly clean, lots of blood pouring out of the wound, but no gore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Yeah, as retrogamer said, Max Payne 2 had that.

But taking it a bit further, Havok used to have a 'zombie' demo that had a sort of "limited ragdoll" (which seems to be gone from their site now). In the demo, you had a zombie coming towards you. When you shot the arm, it went limp and 'ragdoll'-ish, but the zombie kept coming towards you. Likewise for various other parts of the body, until you shot the head. Cos as we all know, with zombies, the headshot's the only true stopper.

yeah they got knocked back by the bullets but that was when they were dead, not still alive

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Thats what I thought to, but recently I have seen a clip of a guy shooting himself in the head (PM if you really want to see it), it was suprisingly clean, lots of blood pouring out of the wound, but no gore.

thats because the bullet went so fast it just went straight through, some bullets like hollow-points wud cause much more gore as they mushroom up on the inside (how nice) and they are many other very interest designs on bullets to increase their effects. but i do believe that armies arnt allowed to use anything but the standard "full metal jacket"

I wonder who'll make the first game to simulate the trail of a bullet through the body then. I can just picture a sniping game that gives you bonus points for hitting specific internal organs, and a style bonus if you do it by ricocheting off a bone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds eerily like that dodgy JFK assassination game from last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Matt Simis wrote:
    For handgun or small rifle bullets Id agree, but are saying you could take a shot from a shotgun at 1m and not fall (violently) backwards?

Matt

Well I'm extraordinarily well informed by A Touch of Frost :D There was an episode where they found a body mangled by a close range shotgun shot to the abdomen at point blank range. They predicted that the body flew backwards a good few feet until a ballistics expert came along and told them that bodies that are shot dead drop where they stand even from a close range shotgun. Had to do with 'for every action there is an equal and oposite reaction'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I would assume the impact effect on someone being shot would be roughly equal to the force of the recoil? So if someone in a firing stance got shot with a pistol they might not move much, but maybe sneaking up on someone and shooting them from behind might cause a bit of a stagger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lot of the force is lost in the damage that the bullet does and also frm air resistance. If it passes straight through there won't be much stagger at all. Remember the bullet is quite light so doesn't need a whole lot of force to send flying.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    A lot of the force is lost in the damage that the bullet does and also frm air resistance. If it passes straight through there won't be much stagger at all. Remember the bullet is quite light so doesn't need a whole lot of force to send flying.
    Well, I'm assuming the bullet is aerodynamic and the air resistance would be relatively negligible, but I didn't consider it passing through which is a fair point. The bullet being light is why it moves so fast, but it's momentum will be the same as a heavier object fired the exact same way.

What a bizarre conversation this has become...

Crucifix wrote:
    Well, I'm assuming the bullet is aerodynamic and the air resistance would be relatively negligible, but I didn't consider it passing through which is a fair point. The bullet being light is why it moves so fast, but it's momentum will be the same as a heavier object fired the exact same way.

A heavier object fired the exact same way would be slower and have less penetration than a bullet with a pointed tip designed to penetrate and cause maximum damage. (ignore if you want because I've spent the last 5 hours trying to get drunk enough to forget my foray into the local club)

Retr0gamer wrote:
    A heavier object fired the exact same way would be slower and have less penetration than a bullet with a pointed tip designed to penetrate and cause maximum damage. (ignore if you want because I've spent the last 5 hours trying to get drunk enough to forget my foray into the local club)
    lol!
    But I think we've meandered off the topic. My opinion on the issue is that while it may not be realistic, I much prefer to see a guy flying backwards from my shotgun blast than just dropping. I'm interested in animations aswell though, and as people have mention the best scenario is probably to combine them with ragdoll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Retr0gamer wrote:
    (ignore if you want because I've spent the last 5 hours trying to get drunk enough to forget my foray into the local club)

I just had this terrible image of reto down his local disco, drunk off his ass, chatting up some chick with 'really baby...shotguns dont do as much damage in real life as they do in movies! The bodies dont even fly backwards!! What? eh..ok ill see ya around baby!' :D

Deadwing wrote:
    I just had this terrible image of reto down his local disco, drunk off his ass, chatting up some chick with 'really baby...shotguns dont do as much damage in real life as they do in movies! The bodies dont even fly backwards!! What? eh..ok ill see ya around baby!' :D

yeah now i cant stop thinking of retro as the "you want to boogey woogey" guy from that add :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

madrab wrote:
    yeah now i cant stop thinking of retro as the "you want to boogey woogey" guy from that add :p

rofl..ahh retro you know we all love ya ;)

I'll probably be at the boards beers if you want to witness me in action. It's scarier than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'll probably be at the boards beers if you want to witness me in action. It's scarier than you think.

Now girls.... There's an invitation ye can't refuse :D

sprinkles wrote:
    ...but I think HL2 in parts nails the dying soldier effects.

pun intended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

yeah but in turok for example once you've seen the various death animations a few times it gets boring. With ragdoll it never the same innit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

madrab wrote:
    pun intended?

You know me and puns :D

There are 3 rules to comedy: pun. pun. pun.

Advertisement