Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denny Leinster Schools Debating Competition

Options
  • 02-06-2005 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hello all,

For those of you who haven't heard of it, the Denny Leinster Schools Debating Competition (formerly sponsored by ESB) is the largest and most prestigious debaeting competition for 2nd level schools in this country. It is run jointly by the Literary and Historical Society of UCD and the Historical Society in TCD; this year, I am the convenor for the L&H and wanted to let you all know about the competiton in case some of you hadn't heard about it yet.

As always, letters and emails will be going out to schools soon about the competiton for the coming academic year, and insofar as is possible I'll keep people posted on this thread. Anyone with an interest in public speaking should seriously consider entering the competition, even if you have no experience at all. Everyone has to start somewhere, and there may be workshops before the start of the competition to teach people the basics.

Talk to your teachers if you're interested in taking part, particularly if you're from a school which doesn't regularly enter teams in the competition, it's a lot of fun and well worth your while. More info as things develop.

Irwin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Sounds interesting...is it for all 2nd level students or for those above a certain age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

only leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

Traditionally 4th, 5th and 6th years enter the competition, but some 3rd years have entered from time to time. There's a new Junior version of the competition which staretd last year and is looking to be great this year, so all 2nd level students can enter something.

As for the Leinster situation, there are Munster and Galway-region competitions too. They're smaller (understandably) and are run by UCC and NUIG respectively. Hence, I have nothing to do with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ahahah, you have to work with the hist lads :)

Sounds like you've had a bad experience... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

No, its just a fair few of the comittee this year are mates of mine :) for instance if you were involved with it last year, you'd have had to put up with cormac quigley :) so slag cormac for me :)

Done and done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Yeah, a nice 1, 2 finish this year, eh?
    Its because we're just better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Maybe its just me, but anytime i see this thread title i really want a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I was wondering who Danny Leinster was for a second.....

• Advertisement

Danny Leinster.......he's a nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Nah he's a wanker in my experience

is he actually a real guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Hahaha no...

Pwnt

thought so :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I should be promoting our competition but this is neither the time nor place to bring up debating society wars. Good luck Irwin, and sorry about having to work with Bartley and Roisín ;)

You're right, it's not. And I'm sure there's no need for the hard luck stuff, I'm looking forward to working with both of them. It's looking good for this year, I'll keep people posted as things develop.

Hey all,

The application process for the Denny Leinster Schools' Debating Competition is now underway. Invitations have been sent out to every school in Leinster (and Cavan and Monaghan too, cos who are we to leave people out?), and the application forms are available on www.leinsterschoolsdebating.com. Also available on the website is a handbook with pointers and advice for first-time speakers which is well worth a look whether you're new to debating or a seasoned hack.

New to the competition this year is a Workshop which will be held in UCD on October 8th. While attendance is not compulsory for participants, it is recommended for students with no previous experience of public speaking. A maximum of 5 participants per schools (including teachers) can attend the workshop, so if you're interested ask your debating/ English teacher to email me at irwin@irishschoolsdebating.com detailing how many people from your school would like to come along.

This is the largest non-sporting competition for second level students in the country and is an enormous amount of fun to take part in, I really can't recommend it enough. Hope to see some of you soon!

Yours,

Irwin Gill,
    Convenor,
    Denny Leinster Schools Debating Competition,
    Literary and Historical Society, UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Yay! Tis debating time again. Denny rocks socks. Got to the semis last year, will hopefully get to the final this year. What time is that workshop at? Is there any point in seasoned debaters (heehee) going?

Who else is entering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Starbabe

Mmmm... sausages....

Too bad I live in Ulster.

• Advertisement

Ah sure come along if you want, you're not so good that you've nothing left to learn from college oldies. It's at 1pm in Theatre L in the Arts Block, tealk to your teachers.

Irwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

Yeah I'll probably be there. 1p.m. Anybody know what bus goes from O'Connell St. to UCD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 **JazzHands**

oi art 6, I'm not that bad. And there's Shivers in Munster too. Anywho, I know this be Leinster promo but like Irwin said... inclusivity and the like (somewhat paraphrased)... Connaught, Donegal and Clare are in my hands so son't you worry if you live too far away from the pale :P. Lotsa fun, really rewarding. I'll be in contact with your scholls but there's nothing like a grassroots level push!
    til soon,
    Róisín

Indeed, there's a competition available to you no matter where you live, get stuck in! And as for buses, the 46A, 746 or 10 will bring you to UCD. Be in the John Henry Newman Building (Theatre L) at 12.45- and please make sure you've reserved your places by emailing me at irwin@irishschoolsdebating.com before you turn up, I don't want to be turning people away...

sausages........ :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I'm doing it (it think) but it sounds TERRIFYING. More so than your standard debates. So, being the lazy coward I am, I might not.....

TERRIFYING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dearv

Im coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (even tho im not actually doin the denny debates - im in concern, mace and trinity phil speaks instead) but lookin forward 2 another ctyier reunion!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Ooh, I'm doing concern too! First round against muckross, then the institute, then St. Micheals! Don't suppose anyone here goes to those schools? (bar Liz in muckross)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

I'm doin Denny, Mace, Concern and will probably get in some public speakin competitions too. Ah I do love TY!!! Flashling: ah go on, it's good craic, I did it last year, it's fairly daunting the first couple of times but it's worth it. Plus I'll be doin it. I rest my case. Do it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

hey I'm a member of the L&H, are any actual experiences/ qualifications required to adjudicate?

Advertisement