Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomendation for a good Stealth Em Up?

Options
  • 02-06-2005 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Im near the end of Splinter Cell 3, its not bad but Im sure there's better spy type games out there. Ive played the MGS series to death ("stealth" of sorts) so I think I'll be resting them for awhile.

Any reccomendations would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Thief 1/2/3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Not true stealth games but Ghost Recon (and the expansion packs) involve a lot of sneaking around, if the bad guys see you first your almost gaurenteed to get shot, and it's often one shot one kill. It's a little dated at this stage though.

A better bet might be the Rainbow Six games, Raven shield (and the Athena Sword expansion) being the latest incarnation. It's kind of closer to the Splinter Cell games in that it's largely based indoors. The general idea is that you command several teams rescueing hostages in a building/complex. You control any team member at any time and can issue commands to any of the others. It's very satisfying to sneak up on a group of "tangos" from several different routes, silently taking out any sentries along the way, blowing the doors on whatever room they're in, tossing in a few flashbangs and taking them all down before they know what the hell is going on. I'm playing through it again at the moment for the 5th or 6th time, great fun.

I'm sure there's still demos of both games floating around the net somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Even though it's not really a stealth game;

Commandos 2

just 'cause I like it

(and it does have it's fair share of stealth sections)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Swat 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Tenchu? I haven't played much of the recent ones though.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

As PiE said: Thief 1/2/3. The king of stealth games and the series that invented the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

As PiE said: Thief 1/2/3. The king of stealth games and the series that invented the genre.

Not really, i've played stealth games dating back to the mid 80's. Have one on an arcade emulator here somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BloodBath wrote:
    Not really, i've played stealth games dating back to the mid 80's. Have one on an arcade emulator here somewhere.

I, Robot by any chance? Excellent game.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

BloodBath wrote:

Manic Miner doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Hidden and Dangerous 2/ Sabre Squadren

A LOT of sneaky stuff, Has Ba$tard hard diffuculty, one shot one kill.

Can go in blasting, sneak round em or steal uniform and walk through them.

Non Liniar is the order of the day..

Must stop pimping this game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Havent played 1 or 2 of Thief, but Deadly Shadows is probably the finest stealth game ever. And overall a really good game. Theres so many little things to love about that game, especially the NPC's. Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell, and Splinter Cell is a fantastic stealth game, probably equal to Thief in terms of stealth, but I think Thief beats it in terms of story and the amazing atmosphere it has.

Also, M.I. Operation Surma, not the best stealth game ever, but it has Ving Rhames in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I'd have to recommend the thief and no one lives forever series, thief 2 would be my favourite for the thief games, but they all rock. Thief 1 was hard, had far too many undead things to fight, thief 3 was fantastic, the cradle is probably the single best level in a game since bobomb battlefield. I think thief 2 was the funniest of the 3, with the better overall story and gameplay-some things in thief 3 like the climbing gloves are a bit screwed up, the final level in all 3 are excellent examples of how to finish a game.
    The no one lives forever games have a different kind of stealth, it's not as important to avoid being caught in these games, but the stealth is fun, in nolf 1 it is insanely hard in parts to avoid detection. Nolf 2 is one of my favourite games, absolutely brilliant, not very stealthy early on, and from what I can remember there is only 1 or 2 missions where you have to be stealthy, but stilll, great game overall.

I could also take this moment to mention beyond good and evil, you have to sneak around and take pictures, more of an adventure game, but excellent and available for next to nothing on the pc and consoles these days/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Forgot to mention it has to be available on the PS2 ;)

Also: any Spy type game reccomendations would be great. I think there's a thin enough line between MGS/Spy/Stealth games (although MGS is in a league totally on its own)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Manic Miner doesn't count.

hehe i wasn't talking about manic miner. This was a proper stealth game. You were a secret agent. Side scrolling job. You had to reach your target without getting spotted. Hiding behind ledges and jumping over walls ect to avoid spotlights and guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

u could play sof2 as a stealth game get sniper rifle etc its gotta great physics engine,also the mindgate conspiracy psiops is a good action steatlth game,sneak up on em and take over thier mind push em off bridges etc.you can use whatever tactics you want .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Swat 4
    That's the one ye should go for!!

It's a classic, and if your PC isn't new enough to run it, get it's prequel SWAT3, two great games right there!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Agree with previous posters. Thief 2 is the one. One of the greatest games of all time to. Particularly the story and script. Very funny. Possibly one of the best scenes in a game ever is when you are moving accross the rooftops and come accross two rival gangs of soldiers on tower roofs arguing about each others Lord. Sit back laugh at the conversation and they soon kill each other bar one. Classic.

gamer wrote:
    u could play sof2 as a stealth game get sniper rifle etc its gotta great physics engine,also the mindgate conspiracy psiops is a good action steatlth game,sneak up on em and take over thier mind push em off bridges etc.you can use whatever tactics you want .

The problem is that SOF 2 is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

deus ex 1 had alot of sneaky around, no where as much as SC but still :p
    i never really thought H&D 1/2 as a stealth game more of a tactical shooter
    the thef series were very nice alround, pure stealth
    SoF2 is def not a stealth game! but for pointless shooting its top :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Try Chronicles of Riddick. Just finished it the other day. Criminally short but one of the best games I've played in a long time. Nothing like running out of the dark, inserting a screwdriver into a guards spine and dragging the corpse back to the shadows....

But as a word of warning it's not a pure stealth game.

Thief 2 as mentioned above looks too dated in my opinion to play nowadays. I have it and don't have the patience to play past the first level (after repeated attempts). It's just too clunky looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement