Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horde speaking common?

• 02-06-2005 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

I was waiting outside the SM instances for the rest of my group to come when a load of alliance lvl 50+ came out of one of the instances. Standing near me was a level 60 troll warrior. The alliance guys started saying in common and then to my surprise the troll replied to them, in common. Can't remember the guys name now and I forgot to take a screenshot. But I did ask him and he didn't respond. :confused:

He didn't just know some of the common language for instance I think everyone knows that bur=lol because in the text window it said <name>:[common].

Is it possible for Horde players to learn common or was he using a hack of some sort?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Was he perhaps using the orb of deception trinket?
    http://thottbot.com/?i=5384

Changes a players model to one of the opposite faction.
    Was the player red to you? You sure he really was the opposite faction?

Quozl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I'm positive, he asked me for a stamina buff. Plus I whispered him to ask him how he did it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i've seen horde saying stuff that i understand, but its only one or two words like noob, or ****. they must know what symbols translate into letters in alliance talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Are yousure he wasnt just typing in "[common]' and then some random letters?

I assume you couldnt understand it, so how do you know they understood it?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sounds likely, you can just type [common] and then some random words (and ones you've seen before). People do it sometimes in Tarren Mill
    Horde guy: [common] bur eynes alliance suck lolol

I'm not aware of any ways of hacking this. You used to be able to get around it in a way, when you could use letters and numbers and people spoke in 1337, but they changed that in one of the patches recently so you can't do that anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

noob question here: what is common?

actually while i'm highlighting my reluctance to go search can someone direct me to a good wow forum? the official one seems crap. I wanna be able to do a search on a part i'm stuck or a game issue and get it quickly through a forum.

I've discovered thottbot. its good but not complete and relates more to quests and items etc.

http://wow.allakhazam.com

Common is main Alliance language, Orcish the main Horde one. Alliance can't understand Orcish, and the Horde can't understand Common.

(But to complicate things more, my char for instance is Undead. She speaks gutterspeak, and Orcish. Orcish is what is used for all Horde to communicate, but in my emotes options I can change to Gutterspeak and then the Orcs won't understand what I'm saying).

so when you use the chat it will appear as normal for your faction but scrambled for the other? and vice-versa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I enjoy talking to fellow undead in gutterspeak about the state of orc hygiene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

koneko wrote:
    I'm not aware of any ways of hacking this. You used to be able to get around it in a way, when you could use letters and numbers and people spoke in 1337, but they changed that in one of the patches recently so you can't do that anymore.

Not only that, but you used to be able to simply remove a file in the game folder that removed the language barrier, so you could converse freely with someone else who had removed the same file. Thats been fixed tho afaik.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:

can't search without paying. boo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Eh....yea you can.

Dustaz wrote:
    Not only that, but you used to be able to simply remove a file in the game folder that removed the language barrier, so you could converse freely with someone else who had removed the same file. Thats been fixed tho afaik.

It has, that was based on using 1337-speak aswell afaik, it would just translate it on either side.

quarryman, I see a search box on the left hand side...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There are many websites that translate common,gutterspeakand orcish, go search for them.

There are set phrases that can be typed in horde that translate into alliance chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

'm positive, he asked me for a stamina buff. Plus I whispered him to ask him how he did it.
    You cant whisper the opposite faction so i assume it was that orb or something similar.

Advertisement