Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland V Israel

• 02-06-2005 2:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ok I think its time to talk about the big game thats on this Saturday.

Brian Kerr has already stated that even if Ireland fail to win both games that they are still in with a chance to qualify.I dont share this view I think it is a must win game for the team. After the last pitiful performance against Israel we need to bag the 3 points to move clearly ahead of them and hopefully move back to the top of the group. Dropping points at home is what cost us in the Euro qualifiers and we cant afford to do it again. Its quite obviously a must win game.

There is also the right back problem. Steve Finnan is now almost certainly out of the game and with Stephen Carr suspended and Alan Mayburry injured we have no cover. As I see it we only have two options - Move John O' Shea to right back and play Ian Harte at left back or play Stephen Reid at right back. I think this is the more likely option as Kerr played him at right back against Celtic obviously having him in mind to fill that role on saturady.

Finally there is the central midfield role which has come up for quite alot of debate. Roy Keane has pretty much secured his place but then there is one other place which can go to one of 3 players - Kilbane,Holland or Kavanagh. Kilbane has got the nod in recent games and I would probably stick with him but there has been calls to play hard man Kavanagh in there to break up the play and also to support the attack which he seems to do well. Matt Holland just doesnt do enough in games for me. Excellent cover player but for me not a starter.

Anyway I would like to hear peoples opinions on how the game will go and who you want to play etc. One thing is for sure I think Ireland will win the game with a full house behind them but i dont think it will be easy and I see us winning by the odd goal only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Roy Keane is suspended for the Israel game so there is a decison to be made about the midfield. Duff, Holland, Kilbane and Andy Reid would be my choice we need to create and take chances and I think this will give us the best oportunity to win. I'd love to be going to the game but will have to settle for the TV again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Come on the Clinton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd play:
    Given
    Reid
    O'Shea
    Cunningham
    O'Brien
    Duff
    Reid
    Holland
    Kilbane
    Morrison
    Keane

Usual suspects really. I think we will win by one or two - but i think it will be a scrappy game. We need a big game from Duff and Reid and a SMART game from Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Tauren wrote:
    I'd play:
    Given
    Reid
    O'Shea
    Cunningham
    O'Brien
    Duff
    Reid
    Holland
    Kilbane
    Morrison
    Keane

Usual suspects really. I think we will win by one or two - but i think it will be a scrappy game. We need a big game from Duff and Reid and a SMART game from Keane.

Why would you play the invisable man ahead of Kavangh ? , it just doesn't make sense .

Well, Robbie appears to be well up for it, he said that they'd be getting payback for that late goal...Lets hope he gets 1!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Given

XXXX----Cunninghan - O'Brien - O'Shea

Reid ---- Kavanagh --- Kilbane --- Duff

Keane----Clinton

Right back is a problem position, but instead of playing players out of position, like Stephen Reid, why not go for one of the most consistent right backs in the Irish game at the moment, Owen Heary, captain of Shelbourne. Now all you non-eL fans, please don't shrug this off with contempt, because, quite simply you don't see him play week-in week-out. He is a class above any right back playing in this country, and would do a great job in the squad. If he isn't going to be played, he should be at least brought in as cover for the position.

One thing is though, that the Shels defence falls apart without him, so we could do with him for friday night.

Anyway, this is a MUST win game. Fail to get six points from the next two games, and we can say Auf Weidersehen Pet to next summer in Germany.

Big Ears wrote:
    Why would you play the invisable man ahead of Kavangh ? , it just doesn't make sense .
    I think Holland is a superb player at what he does. Yes, he is quiet and can seem invisible - but how many times has he let us down? he does the simple things well and is actually a good leader on the pitch. Also, the fact Holland is a premiership play and Kavanagh has never been tells me something too. If GK was better then Holland surely a premiership team would have snapped him up?

Kavanagh is technically a PL player. With Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tauren wrote:
    I think Holland is a superb player at what he does. Yes, he is quiet and can seem invisible - but how many times has he let us down?
    A certain peno miss by Matty English 3 years ago, He's a useless english twat, who looks like the kid from "about a boy"

Forgive my ignorance, but thats how i feel about him. I'd stick Kav in there, mix it up

In fairness, Matt was not the only one to miss a peno that day - i still fume when i think of the kilbane rebound........! Baggio missed a penalty in the 94 WC final - would you have expected Italy to drop him? Oh hang on......

I would feel it unfair to use the peno miss against him - it can happen to the best. Also his superb goal against Cameroon helped us get there in the first place!

• Advertisement

I know - but he has still never actually played prem football and i don't remember any prem clubs ever going for him, surely that is an indicator of his ability. I do like GK, he is a decent player and always gives 100%, i just do not think he is better then Holland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I totally forgot Roy Keane is suspended sorry. Well in that case I would play Kilbane and Kavanagh. Kavanagh is as close a player to Roy Keane tackling wise and we need a player in there to break up the play. Also he is a box to box player who will help with the attacking side of things as well.Technically he is a premiership player. Holland just doesnt do enough.He is dependable and wont let you down but he still doesnt do enough for me.

I agree seansouth Owen Heary is a very talented player who may have the ability to play at a higher level but saying that he is not tested and it would be a very bad decision to put an untried player into a game of this magnitude.
    I would like to see him given a chance in friendly games to see if he would be able to cope. Before you say it I know he did well in Europe this season but International football is different again. Its just too big of a risk in a game like this. You have to remember Israel are no pushovers just look at their group position and he will find that out. Owen heary could become a very good player but now isnt the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Personally I would go for : -

Given
    Cunninghan---O'Brien
    S.Reid
    O'Shea
    Kavanagh---Kilbane
    Reid
    Keane
    Duff
    Clinton

4-2-3-1

S.Reid in for Finnan. Looks like he has a lot of hunger and ability at the moment and its an easy choice over that or bringing in Hearte.

Kavanagh instead of Mr Invisible. Fair enough Mattie might have priemership expereince but doesnt impose himself in midfield properly. Also, mattie is totally out of steam.. admitted so much himself.

Keane in the hole behind Clinton.... A few crosses into Clint to knock down to robbie would probably work wonders (but never has been tried properly ! )

Kerr will probably go for 442 with Mattie holland instead of Kavanagh

this is a must win game IMO. Fair enough we can continue to scrap but we really want to send a strong signal out to the rest of the group that lansdowne road will be a very difficult place to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kingp35 wrote:
    Brian Kerr has already stated that even if Ireland fail to win both games that they are still in with a chance to qualify.I dont share this view I think it is a must win game for the team. After the last pitiful performance against Israel we need to bag the 3 points to move clearly ahead of them and hopefully move back to the top of the group. Dropping points at home is what cost us in the Euro qualifiers and we cant afford to do it again. Its quite obviously a must win game.
    Kerr was asked if it was crucial that we win both games if we are to qualify for the World Cup. He said no, we can still win the group with 4 points. If we get 4 points from these 2 games we will win the group by winning our remaining matches. It is not a must win game in the sense that if we don't win the group is not in our hands. We have 5 matches left and we can afford to draw at least one and still win the group. In saying that, of course he'll be aiming to win and won't be sitting on a 1-0 lead. I would be devastated if we don't win but its not a must win.

I'd go with Reid at right back and Kav in the centre. Every other position fills itself.

2-0 Ireland. S.Reid and Keane with the goals. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yeah, this *IS* a must-win game against IL, no doubt. I guess Kerr said it wasnt as a means to take off some pressure from the lads. But the players know they must win it.

Ireland has usually done poor at home in games where they must win. I think that a 2-0 win is possible. The Israeli team plays well and wont be easy to breaki down, so a lot will depend on Duff, Keane and Morrison. The right back would also be needed to add to the mix in coming forward. I am not a fan of Stephen Reid. I was at the Russian match at Lansdown and himself and Carr were at sixes at sevens. He was very poor I thought. So, who to play? I think O'Shea could definitely do a good job at right back. I would have no qualms at getting in your man from Shelbourne, but as this is a must win match its probably wise to go for experience.

In midfield, I think either Holland or Kavanagh can do a good job. I think Hollan'ds career has tapered in the last while, whilst Kavanagh's has blossomed. Also, this year, Kilbane's performances have blossomed in the centre of the pitch. Maybe Kerr will go with Holland and Kavanagh. But either two will do.

Duff, Keane and Morrison are definite starters I think. Unless Kerr goes for 4-5-1, which I think would be a mistake. Reid then is the obvious choice on the other side of the pitch.

Its a must win, no doubt about that.

Redspider

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It is definitely a must win game. Managers often say that is isnt a must win game so if the team fails to win they are not slated as much and yes it does also lift some pressure from the team.

I understand what your saying Eirebhoy but Ireland have a tradition of f**king it all up when it comes to the push and bearing that in mind, against opposition like israel at home we really need to be winning it.

Also your call for stephen reid to score one of the goals is a bit out there. Please explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I'd deffo go for Kavanagh he is in the Roy Keane mould tough tackler and takes no crap. 3-0 Ireland

what about 4-3-3 ?

Given

S.Reid
    Cunninghan---O'Brien
    O'Shea

Reid
    Kavanagh----Kilbane

Keane
    Clinton
    Duff

Reid is very good at picking out players and also running down the line. Kilbane another outlet down the left too.

Heary is in great form.. if this was the Faroes then maybe I would call him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Its going to be a hard game. They are a tough side to break down, but i think we can do it alright. I reckon 2-1 to Ireland.

My team:

Given
    Reid -- Cunningham -- O'Brien -- O'Shea
    A.Reid -- Kilbando -- Holland -- Duffer

Keane ---- The Clint

oh yeah... and i just go my hands on a ticket last night... w00p :D

Kingp35 wrote:
    Also your call for stephen reid to score one of the goals is a bit out there. Please explain
    I watched the Celtic game last week and it was clear that we (Ireland) had practiced set pieces. I can't remember how it went but it was on the edge of the box. Someone stood behind the ball (blocking its view from the wall), Andy Reid ran up pretending to take it first time. As soon as A.Reid jumped over the ball was tapped out to S.Reid by the player standing behind it and he belted it. It was a well worked set piece and one I hadn't seen before. It seems that Stephen Reid will be taking the set pieces on the edge of the box and could well score from one.

On the other subject. It really depends how you define a must win game. A must win game for me is one that if you fail to win the group/league is no longer in your own hands. That is my definition of a must win game and this game does not go under that definition as if we fail to win on Saturday the group is still in our own hands. BTW, if we failed to win this game and had to travel to Stade de France instead of them coming here I wouldn't say it was in our own hands. Ah feck it, its a must win game. ;)

/edit - oh shít, thejollyrodger is off on one of his experimentation buss before the games. :)

• Advertisement

Stephen Reid has a nice shot, could possibly pop up with a free kick strike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i predict an easy win 2-0 or similar. israel are an average side away from home and the long break in the group will have halted their good run as their players will lack the togtherness needed to topple a side like ireland away from home.

they'll huff and puff, get one or two chances probably and in the end ireland will nick one and come on strong. israel are israel, the dodgy side in a far way place that cause trouble when their at home. on their day they can match anyone but lack the class to beat anyone.

i fully expect an irish victory, especially at landsdowne. nothing less will do. we must top this group while we have the chance and stop settling for 2nd best.

I think we'll win 1-0.

Duff will be ineffectual.

Holland and Kilbane will be overrun in the midfield, and Kavanagh will be introduced too late.

Given will make three match winning saves, two from blasters from outside the box, and one header from a corner.

John O'Shea will go off injured, leaving us with a patchwork defence.

Robbie Keane will spend the majority of the match, as is his party piece, in an offside position, and we will score from a dodgy linesman decision.

could you be a little more specific?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

seansouth wrote:
    Duff will be ineffectual.

Heh, they are some pretty specific predictions there SeanSouth, but I don't know how you can say the above - even in jest :p.

Clint will score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I agree with the original poster, I believe this games is a must win game after letting in that last minute goal away to Israel. We could have been in control of the group if we had finished Israel off. Now we must beat them at home, and get a result against the Swiss or the French (difficult).

My tickets just arrived, I better be a happy bunny on Saturday night!

you betcha Eirebhoy ! there is more than one way to skin a cat and 4-4-2 is about as flexible as a (something really inflexible).

bazH wrote:
    A certain peno miss by Matty English 3 years ago, He's a useless english twat, who looks like the kid from "about a boy"

Forgive my ignorance, but thats how i feel about him. I'd stick Kav in there, mix it up

Jesus I can't believe no one picked you up on this ****! Why don't you take that grinning English twat of your signature before calling Irish players with English accents English twats!
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Keano_sli wrote:
    Jesus I can't believe no one picked you up on this ****! Why don't you take that grinning English twat of your signature before calling Irish players with English accents English twats!
    :mad:
    Aye, I saw that too. Is anyone really surprised though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you betcha Eirebhoy ! there is more than one way to skin a cat and 4-4-2 is about as flexible as a (something really inflexible).

gary doherty

Aye, I saw that too. Is anyone really surprised though?
    Nice sig, Nice location too, hows paying taxes to the queen working out for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Given
    S.Reid -- Cunningham -- O'Brien -- O'Shea
    A.Reid -- Killer -- Kavanagh -- Duffer

Keane ---- Clinto

Personally i think that is the best lineup,i never had much fair in ian harte from a defensive perspective and O'Shea+Reid would be a much better comination for stopping the Israelis than Harte and O'Shea

Kavanagh has always done the job when picked to start,i think neither Kilbane or Holland would have the ability to put their role on midfield like i think Kavanagh can,as for him only being in the championship last year,dont forget that at least half the israel team is from their own league and im sure the championship teams would be at least as good as that

Duff looked tired towards the end of the season for Chelsea and hopefully the rest will have done him some good,can see him being brought down in the box and winning another peno for robbie to put away

2-0 prediction,Keane and Andy Reid to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Id also go with that Gileadi.

I think O'Sheas ability to get forward (although we havnt seen much of that this year) should keep him there ahead of Harte. Harte is great at set pieces but I think we would be more likely to see O'Shea getting down the flank than Harte. Reid at right back should be fine, and will also offer us an attacking outlet.

Id have Kilbane in there on merit, but I didnt think he was playing that great toward the end of the season, maybe one of the Everton fans could give us a fairer assessment. With him it has to be Kavanagh, he will be up for it as always, and again is a goal threat.

I have a good feeling about the game, and I think for some reason we are going to get a good atmosphere in the ground on Saturday :eek: it will be the first step in a vital 6 points setting us up well for the home stretch.

Ill go for a 2-0, Duff and Keane.

Ive already got my tickets for the finals, boys dont let me down now!

bazH wrote:
    Nice sig, Nice location too, hows paying taxes to the queen working out for you?

Baz East London is also a City in South Africa, you'd want to check which one he's in before making any more rediculous statements like the above, your only letting yourself down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

bazH wrote:
    Great, far fewer small minded, bigoted arseholes around I find.

smemon wrote:
    gary doherty

He's was doing stepovers while not making an arse of himself againts Celtic :eek: .

I have a good feeling about the game, and I think for some reason we are going to get a good atmosphere in the ground on Saturday :eek:
    A 7.30 kickoff on a sunny Saturday evening, can't ask for better than that. :) For some reason I keep thinking the bloody match is tomorrow.

doc has picked up an injury and is in doubt for this game... its going ot be a tricky enough end of season game IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Let McGeady at 'em, he'd tear them apart.

Given

Kavanagh----Kilbane

A.Reid
    Duff

McGeady

Clint

• Advertisement

Pity he's not in the squad. ;) He shouldn't be in the squad anyway as he hasn't been performing for Celtic recently and can't be risked in such an important game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

2-0, ray houghton and john alridge

2-0, ray houghton and john alridge

apparently both of them have been deemed 'unfit' , so you better rethink that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

morrisON and keane then.

WE better win. Excellent weeked of sport though, cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

We'll win because we have Damien Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

morris and keane then.

chris morris hasnt played for ireland for 15 years almost! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Given

Kavanagh----Kilbane

A.Reid
    Duff

McGeady

Clint
    Aye, let's drop our all-time scorer for an unproven young lad.

Good team otherwise though. Quietly confident about this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

kaids wrote:
    Aye, let's drop our all-time scorer for an unproven young lad.

Ok lets.

I actually just mentioned this on another thread. Judge Keane on his goal scoring record (10 goals in 20 games under Kerr - 5 of those in competition) and not the frustration he causes you. For some reason he's a frustrating player but he has the same goals per minutes played ratio as Defoe this season, he has a much lower shots/goals ratio than Defoe (Keane's 3.10 compared to Defoe's 4.77) and he has set up more goals than Defoe. Keane has scored more goals than the previous season each of the last 5 seasons (10, 15, 17, 20, 21). Yet, Defoe is rated at about £15m while Keane is closer to £4m. A lot of people call Keane overrated but I'd actually say he's really underrated atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

eirebhoy wrote:
    I actually just mentioned this on another thread. Judge Keane on his goal scoring record (10 goals in 20 games under Kerr - 5 of those in competition) and not the frustration he causes you. For some reason he's a frustrating player but he has the same goals per minutes played ratio as Defoe this season, he has a much lower shots/goals ratio than Defoe (Keane's 3.10 compared to Defoe's 4.77) and he has set up more goals than Defoe. Keane has scored more goals than the previous season each of the last 5 seasons. Yet, Defoe is rated at about £15m while Keane is closer to £4m. A lot of people call Keane overrated but I'd actually say he's really underrated atm.

Spot on, also his goals/games compares very favourable with Defoes, espically when you only take the matches where he played up front rather than in mid field into account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement