Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland V Israel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I didn't say anything bad about Keane, I actually think he's a very good player who's never let us down. He just wouldn't fit into my system, I thought I was the boss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

oooo look, kaids is back! Hope Wayne Bridge doesnt knock Arsenal out of Europe any time soon or the Soccer forum might melt down again!

more on topic, I can see Clint and Robbie both scoring. Stephen Reid looks a great choice at right full to me. Big, strong and good running with the ball, I reckon we would get a lot of joy against a weak Israeli full back.

Plus, Andy Reid is the type of winger who will thrive with a man on the overlap. It will take a marker away from him and give him time to come inside and pick out diagonal passes. If Stephen and Andy reid start, Id have a bet on Robbie to score from a Clinton knock down, coming from an Andy reid diagonal ball created thanks to Stephen Reid overlapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If we're talking experimental formation, than the one to play imo is a carbon copy of Chelseas formation, as we already have the key player from that :)

I wouldn't try it in this game mind, but something like...

Keane

Duff---McGeady

Reid

Kavanagh Keane

O'Shea Cunningham Dunne Finnan

Given

The players in the back four wouldn't be set in stone, neither would McGeady unless he has a good season next year. Reid would be Andy rather than Steven.

Basically copy of Chelseas formation. Keane does Makeleles role, Kavanagh to be a little more attacking but also concentrates on the defencive side of the game like Tiago, Reid to be a very attack minded central mid fielder. Duff and McGeady to do what Duff and Robben do for Chelsea, and Keane up front. The two full backs have license to get forward.

Barca also play something very very similar and I think given our current set of players it's the formation that best suits us (Espically Roy Keane, who as we all know is no longer the box to box man of old, that role is ideal for him), and Chelsea have proven it is brilliantly effective.

For this game, it all hinges on Kerr. Cop out defencive rubbish like right full backs at right wing with superb attacking wingers on the bench will get us what it got us in the away match. Start with an attacking side and go at them and we should get the result needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if McGeady is not in the squad why did he play for us in the second half of the Ireland - Celtic game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tauren wrote:
    if McGeady is not in the squad why did he play for us in the second half of the Ireland - Celtic game?
    it was only a bit of craic.

he'll be playing for the U-21's tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Robbie didnt look so hot out in Tel Aviv. he hardly had any chances.. im sure we will score but i dont know if it will be robbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can I ask anybody why they would drop Kilbane?
    This guy tries the hardest of anybody on the team, and gets us a lot of free kicks.
    Sure he might not have the ability of the rest of the team, but by god he gets the results from his determination, and is one of the few players on the team playing Champions League football next year.

Its gotta be a

Reid - O'Brien - Cunningham - Harte

Reid - O'Shea - Kilbane - Duff

Morrision - Keane

I don't think Kavangh or Holland are good enough, and I think O'shea has done the job in central midfield for United when asked, and I think Harte can cover for him at left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Given
    S.Reid -- Cunningham -- Dunne -- O'Shea
    A.Reid -- Kilabne -- Kavanagh -- Duffer

Keane ---- Clinto

I'd love to see Steven Reid starting purely for the dead ball situations, he is excellent at free-kicks and corners. When he played at Milwall he took every corner and free-kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

The Offside show are betting on Morrision to score first and last goal(s)!

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    This guy tries the hardest of anybody on the team, and gets us a lot of free kicks.
    Sure he might not have the ability of the rest of the team, but by god he gets the results from his determination, and is one of the few players on the team playing Champions League football next year.

Its gotta be a

Reid - O'Brien - Cunningham - Harte

Reid - O'Shea - Kilbane - Duff

Morrision - Keane

I don't think Kavangh or Holland are good enough, and I think O'shea has done the job in central midfield for United when asked, and I think Harte can cover for him at left back
    While O'Shea has played in central midfield a few times before, he has never played the holding role. Neither Kilbane or O'Shea have the composure to play that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    While O'Shea has played in central midfield a few times before, he has never played the holding role. Neither Kilbane or O'Shea have the composure to play that role.

I agree. I think O'Shea is at best a makeshift midfielder. We are not that desperate. O'Shea is a funny type of player. I think his strongest position should be as a centre-back, but at Man U he is being used as a utility player. This is not a good career move, imo, not unless you are brilliant in each position you are played in. Kerr can also use him as a utility player and he could play in the centre of the park, but I think Holland would be better than him, at least the old Holland. If Matt is off the boil as people are saying, I'm sure Kerr will know that and put in someone else.

Kilbane has surprised me in centre midfield this season. Arguably, he is better there than is in career-long position of out wide. Kerr also trusts him (as did McCarthy) and he puts the effort in, and is useful in the air too. So, I'd say he will be in the team.

I'm still not happy with [Stephen] Reid at right back. We will need to defend as well you know! Is he a good defender? I would be worried, dead ball sitiations in the box, offside traps sprung due to his bad positioning, etc. I think that O'Shea would be miles better than him as right back, and is handy enough when going forward.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:

I don't think anybody has excluded him from their team selections, except maybe the people that still think Roy Keane is playing, but we'll ignore them.

B.

Kerr will rightly go with a natural right back. no better man than S.Reid. Its just a straight swap then. There is no point in making 2 or 3 changes when only 1 will do.

The Israelis are going for a draw... defend defend defend and hit us on the break. If they got a goal they will just shut up shop and bring all 11 bods behind the ball so it might be very fustrating. I think its going to take a lot of attacking players,attacking formation and 90 minutes of pressure on them to get the 3 points.

Kilbane might be dropped on physical reasons..he does a lot of running about for Everton and might be knackered.

O shea is far from a regular midfielder. Stick him at full back where at least Duffer can cover him.

The israelis arent very physical or play at a very high level so Kavanagh might provide a great physical presence which they would hate in the centre of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

The Offside show are betting on Morrision to score first and last goal(s)!
    Am I right in recalling that yer man said he was best bet at 7/2 as First and last goalscorer? If so I'd love to know where he gets his odds, I checked it this morning and you cab get 9/2 on gamebookers, although I don't think I'll be betting on Ireland for the same reasons he said, I don't want to jinks them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think even if Keane wasn't banned, it should be A. Reid dropped, with Duff on the right and Kilbane on the left

• Advertisement

4-4-2 Diamond. Kilbane to go forward all the time and Kavanagh to do the defensive holding role linking up defence with midfield. Milan eat your heart out :p
    (that is the last of my formations)

Given
    S.Reid---O'Brien----Cunningham----O Shea
    Kavanagh
    A.Reid
    Duff
    Kilbane

Morrision - Keane

still no word about Finnan but if he isnt fit by now then there mustnt be any hope at this late stage. Hearte is way to slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think the lineup you have is spot on jolly, maybe not Kilbane pushing forward as much, so maybe not a diamond shape.

But yeah, i think this team picks itself given the resources.

Hoping from a big big game from Stephen Reid, Andy Reid, Kavanagh and Clint The Pimp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PHB wrote:
    I think even if Keane wasn't banned, it should be A. Reid dropped, with Duff on the right and Kilbane on the left

you obviously havent been watching Irelands game for the past year or so. Kilbane has become a much improved player for Ireland since moving into the center and he has had some very good games, alot better than he ever did on the left. I remember being in the pub watching Ireland games with everyone screaming for Kilbane to be taken off saying he was terrible and a total waste of space. Nobody is saying that anymore and he is no longer getting slated. His performances have greatly improved and he his sheer determination in the center is needed. The last thing we want to do is put Kilbane on the left where he will be wasted. A.Reid is an excellent crosser and passer of the ball so he deserves his place in the line up.

Maybe you should watch some re-runs of Irelands games and you will see what I mean

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Draupnir wrote:
    oooo look, kaids is back! Hope Wayne Bridge doesnt knock Arsenal out of Europe any time soon or the Soccer forum might melt down again!
    I see the door policy on this place has slackened since September. Shame. Enjoying penalty shoot-outs lately?

jollyrodger: the prospect of Kilbane on the top of a diamond is a truly, terrifying prospect :)

kaids wrote:
    I see the door policy on this place has slackened since September.

Agreed
    jollyrodger: the prospect of Kilbane on the top of a diamond is a truly, terrifying prospect :)

Isnt it just :eek: We will scare the israeli's to death before they even get out on the pitch !! ahhh i can just imagine killer running at them all day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Don't you mean knocking it past them, then running ;)

A good day of sport tomorrow, starting off early as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

if anyone has the ability to mpeg4 and then seed the match, please let me know. It's not being televised in this wretched country :(

When will Kerr name the side ? an hour before kick off ? I bet he goes for Hearte and Mr Invisible

Watch the game on the internet

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=25857

Balfa wrote:
    if anyone has the ability to mpeg4 and then seed the match, please let me know. It's not being televised in this wretched country :(
    The link that JollyRodger is superb for watching it. Pretty much like watching it on TV the stream is so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

SKY reckon its gonna be Harte at left back and O'Shea on the right , although Kerr said he isn't going to name his side till 30 mins before kick-off .

hearte is a natural full back.. Josh has clocked up more hours than S.Reid at that position so it figures.

The israelis play extremely narrow so hearte shouldnt be caught out for speed (hopfully). He is handy enough with the awl free kicks and might be the best move all round. If things go down the tubes with Hearte, kerr can always bring S.Reid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Anyone else fcukin terrified yet?

hate this crap can never enjoy ireland games when winning by whatever means is all i care about.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

What time is kickoff at?

roy keane is 20-1 for first goal scorer - rather generous in my opinion.

Tauren wrote:

LOL link to that?

Gonna bet my house on it :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

All the posters on this thread seem extremely confident of the victory tonight. I am very anxious about the game and just have a bad feeling for yet another draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Cianan2 wrote:
    What time is kickoff at?

KdjaC wrote:
    LOL link to that?

Gonna bet my house on it :D

kdjac
    he's shorter now!

Shamrok wrote:
    All the posters on this thread seem extremely confident of the victory tonight. I am very anxious about the game and just have a bad feeling for yet another draw.

I would be of the same opinion, not gonna be easy and i dont care how 3 points is all that matters.

kdjac

Shamrok wrote:
    I just have let my pessimism show yet, i NEVER think Ireland are going to win!

we really have to set a crushingly high tempo at the start of the game... getting of the blocks very slowly is going to make the whole thing very hard. This is Kerr's defining game for me. If he wins then he is a decent manager.. if its a draw.. well i wouldnt hold out for anthing special from this team in Germany

Tauren wrote:

expecially since he's not playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Cheers Shamrok....
    Im startin to get nervous now, i really really want the win!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

is it just me or have ireland not played on a saturday night in years? usually, saturday matches are 3pm kick offs, i know because i was always giving out about early kick-offs and how the atmosphere is better under floodlights.

thought it was a gardai thing that they didnt like late evening kick offs especially on a saturday night. atmospheres always better at night imo. more build up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

:D That would be some miracle if he scored from the stands, ha ha!
    But in the real world of betting gamebookers are doing this offer on the game
    "Bet on Ireland v Israel and if Israels score first we will refund all losing 1X2 bets on the match"
    While PP are doing this "If Israel win the above match then Paddy Power will refund all losing correct score, first/last goalscorer and scorecast bets on the match"

Personally, I won't bet on the game to avoid jinxing the team, 'cause I'm losing more than I'm winning at the moment anyway.

Will have a punt onthe Derby though, Frankie Detorri on Dubwai, 13th time lucky for everybodies favorite little Italian, but most likely not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

LMAO. Brilliant.

Fairly nervous about the game tonight myself. As thejollyrodger said we need to get off a quick start and think about getting an early goal. Everyone here knows the atmosphere that can be generated at Landsdowne when the team are getting frustrated so an early goal would do no end of good.

i know - its why i found it funny.

LOl

Who are Roy O Brien and Patrick Mc Carthy? 101-1 and 126-1 to score 1st :confused:

/Btw just got a ticket for the game...to go or not to go......

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    LOl

Who are Roy O Brien and Patrick Mc Carthy? 101-1 and 126-1 to score 1st :confused:

kdjac
    ball boys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

isn't McCarthy a Leicester city centre back , I think he was playing against Celtic , no idea who the other is though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

KdjaC wrote:

:) I presume thats a joke. If not. :eek:

Big Ears wrote:
    isn't McCarthy a Leicester city centre back , I think he was playing against Celtic , no idea who the other is though .
    Yeah, McCarthy played against celtic - maybe they mean Andy O'Brien...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Probably won't last of course but it's currently Faeores 1-1 Switzerland (70mins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yep, Faeores 1-2 Swiss (72mins) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I will be happy with a jack charlton 1:0 win.We need all 3 points anything else will make it tough to get out of the group.

• Advertisement
Advertisement