Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland V Israel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

MYOB wrote:
    Unless something has majorly changed, FIRST....

First and two teams that finnish second in their group who have more points than the other 6 runner ups .

Poor Awat , he must need major surgery after all the times he got hit in the mouth :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

mayordenis wrote:
    its is only 1st who get auto sure of that im not sure how many get into the playoff's overall.
    Of the 8 runners-up, the 2 highest get automatic, while the other 6 get the play-off places

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

15 go into the world cup from europe??

Depends because some of the European teams will play Non-European teams in the play-offs, like we played Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

No they don't, not this time.

So they'll play each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Europe has been allocated 14 of the available 32 places in the tournament, one of which was automatically given to Germany as the host country.

The remaining 51 national teams in the confederation were split into 8 groups ; 3 groups of 7 teams and 5 groups of 6 teams. Within each group, all teams will play each other in a home-and-away competition - the winners of each of the 8 groups will automatically be allocated a place in the final stages.

The group runners-up will be ranked. For the sake of fairness, in groups with 7 teams, results against the 7th place team are ignored. The top two runners-up will receive places in the World Cup. The other six will be drawn into three home-and-away matches, with the winners of those matches also advancing to the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmmm I think a few of you should lie down in a dark room. May I suggest whoever talked about
    Bunch of JEWS
    have a think....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/76b1fbb5.jpg

Mike.

ps at least Norn Iron got stuffed by 10 men :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lads keep your shirts on. Its not the end of the world. We level with france, and still have to play the swiss who are 2 points ahead. If we win all our games, i even think we can afford a draw with france we will finish top.

Yea the result is a kick in the sack, but all certainly isnt lost. Fingers crossed kerr will elarn from this(although he learnt **** all from the away match ahainst israel)

We cant blame anyone but ourselves. Cant blame the ref or the keeper. The only bad decision was the sending off at when the incident first happened i though o'brien punch him, didnt relaise until the replay. Yes the goalie is a cheating ****, but thats football.

Glad harte got MOM, funny how everyone was questioning his selection when it was the lemon on the other wing who ****'d up. JOS is so clumsy and dosey its unreal. Harte should keep his place o nthe left for the next match and JOS should be dropped completely.

Kavangh was very good when he came on. HOlland was his usuall invisible self.

Now the substitutions. Kavangh for keane was woeful. ELliot should of been on. Duff isnt a striker, so stop playing him as one. Playing him on the right aswell? IS kerr gonna stick him in goal next or something?

doherty for reid? oh lordy. Doherty should of been on for holland. Against the faroes if keane is injuried i hope elliot gets given a go with morrison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Too mad to post, bloody ref was a disgrace and their goalie was a complete cheat, we have to win every game from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

irish1 wrote:
    Too mad to post, bloody ref was a disgrace and their goalie was a complete cheat, we have to win every game from here.

ugh even then its not enough actually.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/WorldCup/Standings/Round=1915/Group=1900.html

swiss still have to play israel at home, and france. Its gonna go down to the wire. I wouldnt rule us out yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

im just back ... TOTALLY DISGUSTED BY how irelnad went about the task... totally went to sh1t once robbie went off.. Kerr is a crap manager and made some terrible subs...

absolutely no direction with this team... I expect NOTHING from them in Germany if they manage to get there... hoof it long crap... Bollócks.. absolute crap

Israelis are so crap its unbelivable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Very dissappointing and I have lost faith in Kerr now. I only want Ireland to qualify now because I would like to go to Germany next year and it would be nice to have a team to shout for but if they do qualify they will probably not deserve it and will probably go out with a wimper.

I'm also very dissappointed at the way some posters think it's ok to hurl racial abuse at the Israel team. By all means criticise their tactics and attitude but we don't need to start name calling and hoping for violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think you will be pushed to see some worse tactical decisions from any manager in long long time. That was embarrassing :mad: How the feck does Kerr justify his postion as Ireland manger??

The ref was a disgrace and the actions of the Israeli goalkeeper reminded me of the Porto team from a couple of years ago - a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

the way the raelies played tonight, i reckon all abuse is fair. their keeper was a joke. just back from the game abs disusted with jos, but the worst part of the game was doherty and duffs finishing. that team didnt deserve the fans tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

This is the keeperDudu Awat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Jayney mack what a disgrace. Why was Andy Reid taken off? Not that Doherty didnt do well(apart from those woeful headers that should be bouncing behind the line...) but why Reidy? Why didnt he bring on Big baldy gaz for robbie in the first place? Ah feck the complainin...
    That goalie:) I bet he is a hero back home, and im sure hes pleased with himself for pissing EVERYONE in Ireland off...

And of the 4 goals, 3 were crackers! Always loved Robbie, hope he stays at WHL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Why is it everytime ireland play i feel sick readin some of the gob****es above comments.

I honestly believe all you of you EPL fans actually think ireland are good and our english based players deserve to make us the best team ever.

Seriously live in the real world we **** , punching above our weight for 18 years now and its gonna be take a massive effort to get to Wc 2006 whether its Kerr or Mourinho in charge, live in the fcuking real world 4 teams at the top noone has yet to beat another, why the fcuk would we be the ones to break that cycle?

Go watch and El match we aint that far above that when it comes to international standard.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

No ireland thread is complete with out a kdjac "ireland are **** and your all idoits" post

bizmark wrote:
    No ireland thread is complete with out a kdjac "ireland are **** and your all idoits" post

And yet after every game i proved more right :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

or being told to watch some EL, or 'I bet you've never even been to an EL match'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

KdjaC wrote:
    Why is it everytime ireland play i feel sick readin some of the gob****es above comments.

I honestly believe all you of you EPL fans actually think ireland are good and our english based players deserve to make us the best team ever.

Seriously live in the real world we **** , punching above our weight for 18 years now and its gonna be take a massive effort to get to Wc 2006 whether its Kerr or Mourinho in charge, live in the fcuking real world 4 teams at the top noone has yet to beat another, why the fcuk would we be the ones to break that cycle?

Go watch and El match we aint that far above that when it comes to international standard.

kdjac

that post is quite simply, the biggest load of B.O.L.L.O.X ever uttered. Cant get banned for that, I attacked the post, not the poster.

Israel were muck tonight, they had a guy right wing who was a terrible player, couldnt even take the ball in. The goalie was a cheat and the ref was about park football standard.

In fairness though, we have nobody to blame but ourselves really. I was at the game and the unrest around the ground amongst supporters was the worst ive ever seen. Kerr was caught out big time and his subs were absolutely crap. England played Owen and Rooney at 17 why cant we play McGeady and Elliot at 18/20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Team Statistics
    Rep of Ireland - Israel
    2 - Goals - 2
    2 - 1st Half Goals - 2
    7 - Shots on Target - 2
    6 - Shots off Target - 1
    1 - Blocked Shots - 0
    8 - Corners - 0
    21 - Fouls - 20
    3 - Offsides - 6
    2 - Yellow Cards - 7
    1 - Red Cards - 0
    60% - Possession - 40%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just home from the game. Annoyed a wee bit. Had I not been in the east upper id have waddled my way to the pitch and their keeper. Never in all my years have I seen play acting like that truely amazing! He should be given an award.

Now back to the game. 2-0 up after 11 mins aamzing but then we did our usual of sit back and pass the ball about badly. Before ya know 2-2 with the help of a needless penalty. Fair few chances in the second half the ball going across the face of the goal so many times just neeeded that little flick in. Not to be. Faroe is next.

P.S. why some people bother going to the games when they clearly would be better off at home still annoys me. They get upset when ya sing really seem about as interested as my poor old 13 year labrador in walking.. with bad hips.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

why some people bother going to the games when they clearly would be better off at home still annoys me. They get upset when ya sing

Have to agree wholeheartedly. I sing and shout my head off be it soccer or rugby, no matter what the game and I think Irish crowds have become pathetic. I too was told off for singing too loud a couple of matches ago ! It was said half heartedly but I know that what was meant. The 6 Nations was as bad and couldn't believe how the French outplayed (sic) and outsung us.

Prawn sandwich brigade have infiltrated not just west stand they are everywhere. Lansdowne Road is no longer a venue to be feared.

Having been at Anfield for semi final against Chelski and then of course there was Instanbul, the effect the crowd can have on BOTH teams should not be belittled. Who knows Greek Ref might have given a hometown decision for one of the penalties or even sent the keeper off.

Dunphy said last night that technically O'Shea tussle was a penalty but it was a shock to see it given as it happens all the time. Similarly, we must also realise that in EC & WC Qualifiers you are always going to get some crap refs with little or no experience so we should have finished the game off to not even have to discuss the ref or keeper. My tuppence. :o

We threw the whole the whole game away. We werent playing proper football for the full 45 minutes. Kerr got all the subs wrong and it was disgraceful out there last night. Josh is a mess and shouldnt be on the pitch. Doc tried but is totally ineffectual. Kerr shouldnt have restorted to the long ball so f'ing early.

oh,
    I bet you've never even been to an EL match !!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Cant blame the ref or the keeper.

Although we should have scored, i think the ref and keeper had a more than a part to play in our loss. Some of the ref's desicions were disgraceful. Two debatable penos for us. A dodgy peno given to Isarael. Sending off O'Brien for nothing. Putting up with the keeper's play acting for the whole second half.

What was so annoying, was to see such a dreadful keeper (spills, weak hands, going for balls and completely missing) pull of so many game changing saves and than causing so many problems by sitting on the ground holding his mouth.
    Now the substitutions. Kavangh for keane was woeful. ELliot should of been on. Duff isnt a striker, so stop playing him as one. Playing him on the right aswell? IS kerr gonna stick him in goal next or something?

doherty for reid? oh lordy. Doherty should of been on for holland. Against the faroes if keane is injuried i hope elliot gets given a go with morrison.

Agree completely with the substitutions. I don't know if anyone knew what he was doing taking off Reid. In fairness to Docherty, he had two great chances. Unlucky not to put them away. Don't know why Duff was put up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Cianan2 wrote:
    7 - Shots on Target - 2

That sums it up really.
    KdjaC wrote:
    actually think ireland are good and our english based players deserve to make us the best team ever.

Seriously live in the real world we **** , punching above our weight for 18 years now

Well thats the biggest load of crap i have ever heard in my life. Not even worth arguing.

What has Ireland have to do now to qualify??? Are we dependent on other peoples results ? Can we get 2nd spot ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Zakrze wrote:
    This is the keeperDudu Awat

Came from Nazareth
    The angry mob vied for blood
    Fell three times at end

• Advertisement

What has Ireland have to do now to qualify??? Are we dependent on other peoples results ? Can we get 2nd spot ????

Ireland will still win the group if they win all 4 of their remaining games .

We can beat faroes away and cyprus away. France at home and Switzerland at home is going to be two tough matches.. I am praying ROY KEANE / greatest player EVER will be there to get us the win

One of the worst things last night was the way we played... it was TERRIBLE. I thought we moved away from hit and hope. Shambolic

We can beat faroes away and cyprus away. France at home and Switzerland at home is going to be two tough matches.. I am praying ROY KEANE / greatest player EVER will be there to get us the win

We have to beat either France or Swiss, the group hasnt changed with yesterdays match. As i said above the top 4 have played each other and noone has won a game (yet ppl still post we were terrible with surpise in their tone ...lol)

So who will Ireland beat with Super Man Keane playing France? Swiss? or both....lol

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Draupnir wrote:
    England played Owen and Rooney at 17 why cant we play McGeady and Elliot at 18/20?
    Ill have a guess, Id say it has something to do with Owen and Rooney being two of the best strikers in the world and playing huge roles for two of the best clubs in the world, and McGeady and Elliott not even being assured of starting every game at Celtic and Sunderland respectively.

That said, if last night wasnt the perfect opportunity to give Elliott some competitive experience I dont know what was. 2-0 up, at home, against a team who were a defensive shambles? 60 minutes would have been perfect for Elliott. Definitely a mistake there.

As for bringing on Doc, I dont think it was a bad idea, and I dont think it was a case of running out of ideas. Houghton said after and I didnt realise it until he did that Kerr probably pinpointed the high ball as their weakness, which it was. My only gripe is why did Reid come off? If you are going to lump balls into the box, surely you want to keep the best crosser we have on the park, regardless of if he is even playing well. It was a contradiction in terms to take our best "long baller" off to bring on the "long ball target man".

The key though was the first sub. The team got totally changed. Kilbane was pushed out to the right where he was totally ineffectual, Duff went up front where he was totally ineffectual. Kilbane should have been taken off (instead of Reid) he really did nothing when he went out on the wing.

Kavanagh should have started, we had no drive in the absence of Keane, and Kavanagh would have done a far better job than Holland at this.

Its still in our own hands, but god, Kerr is making it difficult for us. The four points we dropped against a poor Israel team will probably cost us qualification.

How are teams that are level decided? Is it goal difference or results of games in between teams? Because if its the latter we are in trouble. Israel would now be ahead of us, and a 0-0 in Paris isnt going to do us any favours either.

thats good to know kdjac. Beat either France or Swizz for a play off. So we have a good chance.

PErsonally I was crying out for KEANO last night ! The man is a legend !! Were such a crap side without him !! KEANO KEANO

IM never going to slag Robbie off again .. he is ANOTHER LEGEND !! With him were ok, without him were CRAP

Shay givin NEVER DIVES THE RIGHT WAY !! maybe we should bring our no. 2 keeper in

Shay givin NEVER DIVES THE RIGHT WAY !! maybe we should bring our no. 2 keeper in

We can't. He quit last year after Kerr wouldn't give him a fair run, remember? So did one of our RB's ironically enough.

====

And btw wasn't the traitor out there 'running things' when we similarily collapsed against Israel (a) and Swiss (a)? So I don't know exactly what you expected him to have done differently yesterday.

Kdjac may not be sugarcoating his view in a way that you might find palatable but at least he doesn't watch the matches thru a pair of shamrock tinted glasses like many people here do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

another rubbish performance.

nah not him Pigman... Im on about Paddy kenny or whatever his name is .. he played in the game against China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Well what I feared would happen did. To throw away a two goal lead at home is unforgivable in my book. Kerr is far too cautious. Of course the substitutions did not help us at all. They had three at the back, so we had to play it wide to stretch them. I would have thought the last thing he would have done is remove both our wide players from their positions during the match. Very pisssed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Still angry this morning. Kerr is a complete and utter idiot and shouldn't be allowed manage a corner shop let alone a national football team. How the hell do you throw away a 2 goal lead against a team of the calibre of isreal, its a disgrace. Forget the cheating keeper and the dodgy ref (he probably has a bag of Shekels after that match!) it was Kerrs subsitutions which changed our shape and eventually cost us 2 valuable points !!!!
    Bring back McCarthy !!!!

Oh and to keep your blood boiling here is the report from an israeli newspaper !!!

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/584252.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh and if there is any justice FIFA should review that Red card and santion that cheating keeper over it and ensure that ref is never in charge of a top level match again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Spotted this on LJ's footy site this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Any word on if Ireland are going to appeal the red card??

Kerr said he will apeal the red card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I was at the game last night and I dont know what everyone is going on about with the atmosphere being cr@p????

I have to say I was pretty impressed and i thought it was the best atmosphere I had witnessed in lansdowne for a good few years. At previous games the crowd had been rubbish, but i thought last night that they created a great atmosphere....

Anyway, I cannot describe my anger... That ref...That keeper... Horrible tactics from Israel..... :mad:

O'Shea wasn't great. Harte wasn't bad...

I dont think the kavanagh substitution wasnt that bad as he was a good driving force in the game and got stuck in at every chance, but Duff up front isn't the same as having a striker. Because of this clinto was running the bollocks of himself and looked very tired with about 10 or 15 mins to go...

Ginger Pele for Reid wasnt too bad of decision.... perhaps holland should have come off instead of reid who was playing well...

Anyway... its going to be tough from here on in...

gandalf wrote:
    Still angry this morning. Kerr is a complete and utter idiot and shouldn't be allowed manage a corner shop let alone a national football team. How the hell do you throw away a 2 goal lead against a team of the calibre of isreal, its a disgrace. Forget the cheating keeper and the dodgy ref (he probably has a bag of Shekels after that match!) it was Kerrs subsitutions which changed our shape and eventually cost us 2 valuable points !!!!
    Bring back McCarthy !!!!

Oh and to keep your blood boiling here is the report from an israeli newspaper !!!

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/584252.html

from that newspaper:
    By the game's end, Israel goalkeeper Dudu Awat was bleeding from both nostrils after repeated collisions with Irish strikers as well as a punch square in the face, but was jubilant at the draw.
    :mad:

Square punch?
    Whoever did that deserves a medal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

bloody muppet that keeper was. destroyed the 2nd half completely. along with the ref for not sending him off.

why did the ref wait until the 90th+ min to book him???? i wouldnt mind but he delayed kick outs for longer before that and nothing was said. stupid. :rolleyes:

talking about stupid, taking on a midfielder for a striker when we were 2-0 up and cruising was stupid too. thats asking for trouble and saying to israel, "were just gonna sit back now and leave 1 up front so come on give us your best shot".

israel proved they were an average side up until kerr messed about with the system and gave them a chance. given cant save penalties so the ref mayswel just have awarded a goal. and from then on israel and the ref just stopped the game completely and between free kicks, bust ups, timewasting the 2nd half never got started. someone should have went in for corners and absolutely burried that keeper into the back of the net while jumping for the ball. i know i would have. duff shouldve been stronger and launched himself at that ball as it came across and just forced it into the net. the goal line chances shoudve went in had someone strong been flying in their, like roy keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Taken from TeamTalk
    Ireland manager Brian Kerr confirmed after the game there would be an appeal, although claimed such acts are "usually a waste" and that "it probably costs a small fortune to Fifa."

Kerr was also unsure whether anything could be done in time for Wednesday's game, but Fifa have confirmed there is the opportunity for the disciplinary department to act.

Spokesman Andreas Herren said: "The important thing is all the reports arrive in time from the match commissioner, the referee and any other delegates at the game.

"If all these are provided within a short space of time then the matter can be considered and reviewed as quickly as possible.

"We have staff on call over the weekend when there are games that follow in midweek.

"They would then have to see if there is evidence that shows whether a disciplinary event or incident happened or not.

"If there are grounds, then it is up to the disciplinary department to make a decision."

What are the chances of the officials getting their reports in on time? Kerr stated that it was the first time a player has ever been sent off on him. He sounds a bit out of his depth but the card should most definately be appealed . Poxy keeper.

Was anyone watching the RTE coverage when it showed roy keane and carr talking with big grins on their faces? I reckon they were discussing how to castrate that hew....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

What a sick game. The ref was totally biased (from Greece - historical supporters of Israel, so no surprise there), and that cheating keeper just ruined the game.

I really hope Israel do not qualify. Even if it means Ireland not qualifying too, i just hope, for the sake of decency, Israel do not qualify.

Sick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement