Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland V Israel

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

dublindude wrote:
    I really hope Israel do not qualify. Even if it means Ireland not qualifying too

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Some of the comments in this thread are a ****ing disgrace. I'm going to go back through this thread post by post and there will be multiple bannings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Yeah, some people just come out with stupid ****...Why would you say that about "even if it means Ireland not qualifying?" Thats just downright idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

The following users have been banned for a week for their comments in this thread: makeveli, Bizmark and L5. Please reread the charter folks. Extremely pissed off about the stoning comments.

Bazh is banned permanently as this is his second offence. If he wishes to regain access he is required to gain for sponsors through the access request forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Why was a Greek reffing the game? It was blatantly obvious that he was all for Israel.

As for that keeper, ffs. Ruined my long weekend :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

talla wrote:
    Bazh is banned permanently as this is his second offence. If he wishes to regain access he is required to gain for sponsors through the access request forum

This will only be open to him however after two months and only if we (Talla and I) feel that his contribution is missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

here, there was one upshot last night. Robbie didnt do his riduclous roll when he scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

he was probably feeling the injury at that time. i wouldnt fancy doing cartwheels with a dodgy shoulder.

damn..i thought it was too good to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

o'briens appeal was turned down, no suprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm desperately disappointed with the result. Our chances of qualification are definitely less now.

My reason for posting however is to try and find some information. They played a very catchy tune at some stage during the night, and I think it might have had the words lightning / or storm in the name of the song (it wasn't U2). Can anyone help me identify the name of the song or the band?

Thanks very much ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

smemon wrote:
    he was probably feeling the injury at that time. i wouldnt fancy doing cartwheels with a dodgy shoulder.

Yeah, he was holding his arm when he was running towards the Crowd.
    Praetorian wrote:
    My reason for posting however is to try and find some information. They played a very catchy tune at some stage during the night, and I think it might have had the words lightning / or storm in the name of the song (it wasn't U2). Can anyone help me identify the name of the song or the band?

Thanks very much ;)

It wasn't City of Blinding lights by U2?.

REPUBLIC LOSE OUT WITH O'BRIEN APPEAL
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p225.htm
    The Republic of Ireland today lost
    their appeal against Andy O'Brien's red
    card, meaning he will miss Wednesday's
    World Cup qualifier against the Faroe
    Islands.

Newcastle centre-back O'Brien was sent
    off in the 83rd minute of last night's
    fractious 2-2 Group Four draw against
    Israel at Lansdowne Road.

O'Brien reacted to being punched in the
    chest by Israel goalkeeper Dudu Awat,
    who gained the sympathy of the referee
    with his theatrics as he went down
    clutching his hands to his face.

Yet another disgrace !!

Duff reckons Ireland has to become more nasty now.... I couldnt agree more.. I never seen any crunching tackles on Benayoun by holland or kavanagh or kilbane.. thats what the midfield should have been doing when Israel tried to get back into the game

Kerr should have given 4-3-3 a go also,

Duff
    Morrison
    Reid
    Kilbane---Kavanagh----Holland

Much to learn in such a short time !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

hopefully next time o'brien will have the cop on to go down like hes been shoot next time he gets a slap.

Nope it definitely wasn't u2. It wasn't Aslan either, and it wasn't a traditional Irish piece of music. Anyone else any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, Ireland failed to get those must-win 3 points. It was an unusual match in many respects. Ireland weren't playing that well but found thmselves 2-0 up quite easily. I had called for S.Reid not to be played at right back, which I think was the correct decision by Kerr. A lot would depend on the performance of Ian Harte. He used his free-taking ability for a fantastic start, yet his passing and coverage for the remainder of the game was below par. You can tell he is no longer a premiership player. Ireland seemed to lack fluidity in the build-up play from the backs up. Andy Reid was at much at fault for giving the ball away easily as was Harte, O'Brien and O'Shea. There was an inconsitency about Ireland, even in this "dominant" phase. I immediaely thought what would Roy Keane do on the pitch if he was on. True, he may have "got his foot on it" and put some control on the game in Ireland's own third of the pitch, but in the going forward area it would have more than likely remained a "well, what will we try this time" approach.

But the set-up of the team seemed good with a 4-4-2. Even though the centre of the park didnt seem to have a game plan, Holland and Kilbane not on the same wavelength, as players didnt know whether to go right with Reid, go left with Duffer or seek Robbie and Morrison who were calling for it, Ireland seemed to have control. The 2nd goal came from one of those forays and was well finished by Robbie. But his self-inflicted injury (he dived into the turf!) cost him and he was hauled off for safety/pain reasons. The consequent change in formation (Duff going up front) cost Ireland dearly in terms of initiative.

Israel were making the odd foray forward, and were fortunate to get the goal they did in many respects, since the flight of the header was perfect. I would have expected Given to have at least got a hand on it, but it was a very difficult one to save.

Then the penalty. I didnt have the benefit of replays to see how it ended up that O'Shea was left marking two Israeli's in the box. But he panicked with some over-zealous holding and clearly fouled. A foul that he can usually get away with in a Man U shirt, but not in an international. The lead we had gained so easily, was now, just as easily reduced to zero. If that was full-time, it would be a story in itself, but it was only half-time.

The 2nd half and things were changed around again. Kerr, who still fancies Doherty, took off Reid in a bold approach, more the old style crossing and see what will happen. And it so nearly came off. How tha one that hit Duff on the side of the head and stayed out, when it seemed on the way in, was unbelieveable. Duff is not a v.Nistelrooy in the 6 yard box! But try as hey might, with huff and puff, they just were not able to get a goal, and one that they deserved. All in all, definitely 2 pts lost by Ireland and 1 gained by Israel. A result that also pleases FR and CH and keeps the group wide open.

Kerr was bitterly dissapointed though. The way the away match in Tel-Aviv was drawn was one thing, dropping two points there, but to have it happen twice is careless.

Ireland never qualify easily and its in games like these that we lose out, lacking killer punches, not having the depth of a squad to fill all positions properly, etc. I guess we all know this anyway.

The game on Wed should be a win, although now I expect a low scoring win, such as a 2-0.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Praetorian was it "Brewing up a storm" - The Stunning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I didnt get the game, why did FIFA urge Ireland to get an appeal for the red card when they did sweet feck all! Disband FIFA now! :p

the name of the song was written in one of the broadsheets.. i can remember reading it after the match.. independent or irish times.. must have been the indo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Assuming we all beat the Faroes and Cyprus:

a win and a draw from our 2 home games will guarantee us 2nd place as long as Switzerland don't lose both games against France and Israel.
    2 wins guarantee us 1st place.

Its not all that bad I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

What is the issue re:goal difference if teams are level?

Is it down to matches between the teams and do away goals apply? Or is it down to goal difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What is the issue re:goal difference if teams are level?

Is it down to matches between the teams and do away goals apply? Or is it down to goal difference?
    matches between the teams and away goals don't apply. So, if we draw with France/Swiss/Isr and finish level on points it will go down to goal difference. If we beat France/Swiss/Isr and finish level on points we qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

eirebhoy wrote:
    matches between the teams and away goals don't apply. So, if we draw with France/Swiss/Isr and finish level on points it will go down to goal difference. If we beat France/Swiss/Isr and finish level on points we qualify.
    I thought you might be the one to know ;)

Thats a relief, because for a while I thought it would go down to the games between the teams, and a 2-2 at home to Israel and a 0-0 in Paris wouldnt have done us any favours.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Praetorian was it "Brewing up a storm" - The Stunning?

That has to be it. Brilliant thanks :D:D:D:D

Advertisement