Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

somethings downloading FROM my pc during connection time.

• 02-06-2005 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I don't know what it is. Scans with SpyBot and AV have ylded nothing, but as I speak, there are more bytes sent than received. Something is downloading from my computer, and it has only really happened since today.
    Restarting the pc has no effect. Right now, Ive been online for 3 minutes, and already, c.130,000 bytes have been received, but almost 500,000 bytes have been sent.

I have not installed any new programmes recently.

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

have you installed a firewall yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

No, I'm on W2K, and my internet connection here is slow enough already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Seanie M wrote:

Whats your IP address,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Seanie M wrote:
    youve got to be kidding.

why would a firewall slow your connection?????
    get some security NOW.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You've been connected for 3 minutes without a firewall - you're pwned
    seriously, that's the probability - the fastest observed exploits were measured in seconds - I posted a link a while back..

Firewalls BLOCK the stuff you don't want - like Adblock in FireFox. So unless you have a full duplex 100Mb uncontended link to the internet (ie. the same bandwidth as 1,000 contended users) they actually make things faster. My old 486 firewall used to hit up to 3% CPU usage on ocassions

• Advertisement

It seems to have sorted itself now. I restarted into Safe Mode and scanned the drives. Nothing turned up, but when I rebooted back to normal, the anamoly has disappeared.

I have never used a firewall, I have never felt threatened enough to use one. I would with a broadband connection, but with my dozy eircom connection never going above 45.2Kbps, I don't think I'm worth the slow effort of some hacker. Trojan, maybe, but I don't leave stuff open to scanning. My back-up drive where all my important stuff is on is encrypted anyway.

Regarding IP address -> this changes each time I go online. Its assigned by eircoms DNS.

Problem sorted.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

It seems to have sorted itself now. I restarted into Safe Mode and scanned the drives. Nothing turned up, but when I rebooted back to normal, the anamoly has disappeared.
    Get a firewall, on dial up it does make things faster, it means half the crap that usually slows things up dont get to waste your bandwidth.
    I have never used a firewall, I have never felt threatened enough to use one. I would with a broadband connection, but with my dozy eircom connection never going above 45.2Kbps, I don't think I'm worth the slow effort of some hacker. Trojan, maybe, but I don't leave stuff open to scanning. My back-up drive where all my important stuff is on is encrypted anyway.
    You should, do you buy online? Type anything private, if so you should have one, its amazing what can be accessed on a non protected machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Seanie M wrote:

another couple of days and you will be screwed pc riddled in crap - viruses and trojans.

Don't come back posting i have a virus on my computer somebody else help -

Your asking for trouble if you don't have a firewall setup software or even better hardware firewall -

And also your internet connection is already slow give it another day or two a couple of browser hijackers then it will be slow ;)

Best of luck with it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seriously, that's the probability - the fastest observed exploits were measured in seconds - I posted a link a while back..
    /my bad - I got it totally wrong

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250401
    It's 4 minutes on average for a XP SP1 machine to get nailed.
    Fastest seen was about 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I caught that once a few months ago. On my old dial up, something was sending itself from my PC. After I installed SP2 for XP it stopped. No idea what it was, probably some virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

downloading FROM
    God bless.
    It's called uploading hun.

Get a firewall!

To be honest, I've never had a firewall, even with the fact that I'm online an average of 5 hours a day from home. And I've never had many problems I can't deal with.

Oh, downloading from for uploading to, hun, is all the same...
    snappieT wrote:
    God bless.
    It's called uploading hun.

Get a firewall!

Seanie M wrote:
    To be honest, I've never had a firewall, even with the fact that I'm online an average of 5 hours a day from home.
    If anyone else takes that as a challenge, Seanie M's IP address is ###.##.###.##

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

If anyone else takes that as a challenge, Seanie M's IP address is ###.##.###.##

commencing attack ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Firewalls BLOCK the stuff you don't want - like Adblock in FireFox. So unless you have a full duplex 100Mb uncontended link to the internet (ie. the same bandwidth as 1,000 contended users) they actually make things faster. My old 486 firewall used to hit up to 3% CPU usage on ocassions

Capt'n Midnight maybe you should make a sticky to tell people that security is not an option its a must, I have seen countless threads posted here asking the same or similar questions, and statements Like "Never had AV and never got a virus" and what the original poster said in this thread, "He never felt threatened enough the get a firewall" maybe if you could post a sticky to list some Security software and explain that these pieces of software are essential and not to ask questions until you have installed them. there are a lot of questions that are starting to become repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

If anyone else takes that as a challenge, Seanie M's IP address is ###.##.##.##

That's a little irresponsible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

mine is ###.#.#.#
    i'll bet none of you have the skillz to crack my machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Seanie M wrote:
    To be honest, I've never had a firewall, even with the fact that I'm online an average of 5 hours a day from home. And I've never had many problems I can't deal with.

Madness. I'd never go online without a firewall. I currently have a hardware one in my wireless router and ZoneAlarm running on the client. I'm planning on using ClarkConnect whenever I manage to get the thumb out and install it.

ClarkConnect is a dedicated linux box with f/w, bandwidth manager, ftp server etc etc. All you need is an old 266Mhz or better pc with 2 network cards to install it on. Then there would be no impact on your W2K box. If you like I can burn you a copy of it (it's free any mods :) ) and give it to you when you're up in Maynooth this week. I have a couple of spare nics as well if you need one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I have never used a firewall, I have never felt threatened enough to use one. I would with a broadband connection, but with my dozy eircom connection never going above 45.2Kbps, I don't think I'm worth the slow effort of some hacker.
    And the ironic thing is on broadband (Eircom/UTV/IOL anyway) you'll be behind a NAT router and will have little need for a firewall, on dialup you're PC has the public IP and is wide open. You're right, a hacker will probably have little interest in physically trying to hack into your PC, but all the thousands of automated servers out there trying out IP after IP trying to exploit Windows flaws don't give a damn about your speed, so you're equally as likely to get viruses etc.. These viruses might just annoy you with popups, the next one might hunt for credit card details in emails or documents, the next might send out mass emails. The point is though it's completely automated, so you're no less a target then somebody on broadband from that point of view. The difference is you have little to no security, so you're a soft target.

As for your PC uploading when you're online; try installing NetLimiter then going online. It'll list the processes that are uploading so you can investigate further.

Thanks Zenith, I might try that NetLimiter.

And Macros, I just might take you up on that! I'll keep you posted when I get that solar filter finished. :)

I took the bold step of upgrading to XP Pro. Bold in that I wish I knew more about Linux to not be an MS Drone! Anyway, once I get all the updates, I have to look for an (updated) XP driver for my modem - I'm only getting 40.0Kbps on the connection, it was more on W2K at average 45Kbps. Fiancée's computer had the same problem when she upgraded to XP, whatever it does to hardware, it seems to not get the full potential out of a modem... :mad:

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

oh - you're on dialup? ClarkConnect is only really useful for broadband. XP's support for modems can be patchy. What modem is it? You should be getting 50k+ unless your lines are bad. Considering where you are that's a possibility - the lines are probably old.

Also have a look at QOS IIRC it can reserve 20% of bandwidth for stuff...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭pcwares

if a XP pc shutdowns with a 59 sec warning then its the msblast virus. It happens on pc's with pre-installed auto internet enabled systems. Once connections its blasts. Microsoft issued a patch.

downloadkb833330
    and kb823980 files

May take a few reboots.

sweet

Macros42 wrote:
    oh - you're on dialup? ClarkConnect is only really useful for broadband. XP's support for modems can be patchy. What modem is it? You should be getting 50k+ unless your lines are bad. Considering where you are that's a possibility - the lines are probably old.

Yeah, 5.6K dial-up. But onW2K I was averaging 45K even on this bad phone line in the middle of almost nowhere, now it hasn't gone above 40.0K. My modem is a Conexant hardware modem. I got a genericHCF W2K driver which actually made it faster than the one that was on disk for it! But now, XP tells me it as a newer one already installed and doesn't want to bother with the one on the cd driver disc. I might try that one and give it a go instead though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh... Connexant HCF modems are soft modems.

Stephen wrote:
    Eh... Connexant HCF modems are soft modems.

I don't think so... its the HSF ones that are software, but both of mine are clearly marked Conexant HCF hardware modem... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Seanie M wrote:
    I don't think so... its the HSF ones that are software, but both of mine are clearly marked Conexant HCF hardware modem... :rolleyes:

HSF and HCF modems are both varieties of softmodem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winmodem

;)

Advertisement