Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB on Windows 95

• 02-06-2005 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a computer at home that is windows 95 and im trying to get broadband working on it. Any ideas on how to get DHCP working aswell as the broadband aswell! Eircom say it is not possible but their "minimum" requirements says it is. I wanna give it a bash.

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If it cannot run something more up to date than 95 I would five it a bash for ya with me sledgehammer :) . Win98 SE will run in 32mb of ram ......crawl maybe rather than run .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

USB support on old versions of Windows 95 does not exist, while later versions have extremely limited support you'd be wasting your time.

Ethernet should work but I wouldn't even waste time on such a endevour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

Only set a 95 computer last week. Pretty straight forward once it has a network, if it doesn't you can pick one up for <€20. Once installed set tcp/ip to obtain ip address automatically(default) and away you go. Slow as hell but it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

theshadow wrote:
    Pretty straight forward once it has a network
    oops, that should be network card(NIC) not network :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

it will work fine as the others have decribed but running 95 on a broadband connection , I wouldn't use an email or private data , your asking for trouble as regards security and viruses and exposing the rest of the netoworked computers

• Advertisement
Advertisement