Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fanboys - A Warning

Options
  • 02-06-2005 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

As you may be aware, the new consoles are about to arrive over the next year or so. Veterans of the games board will be aware that every time this happens fanboys crawl out of the woodwork and spout their tribalistic crap.

In order to prevent this we will be handing out month long bans for anybody who fits this description.

The Games board is platform agnostic. It's a forum about talking about games whatever they're played on.

Please report fanboys using the report feature. These will be acted upon swiftly and anonymously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

its a forum about games and what theyre played on! exactly which means we have the right to state our view on which companies console(what they are played on) is the best. this is just gettin ridiculous tbfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

agreed.
    Please report fanboys using the report feature. These will be acted upon swiftly and anonymously.

i'll give that a miss. actually, should it get to that stage, i'll probably give the forum a miss.

good luck with that amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

evad_lhorg wrote:
    its a forum about games and what theyre played on! exactly which means we have the right to state our view on which companies console(what they are played on) is the best. this is just gettin ridiculous tbfh.
    Stating their view is not being a fanboy.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy&r=d

"In the video game world, a person who desperately prefers one system over others, and will hate every other without reason."

"Biased people who think that the things they worship about are the masters of the universe. However, since they are biased, they will constantly bash opposing things instead of thinking about it and stating its positive and negative attributes."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ...... we have the right to ............

Oh dear :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm confused. "The Sims is crap" is an acceptable topic but "Console X is crap" is a bannable offence?

To be honest at this stage in the 'lifecycle' there's usually not that many great games to talk about because companies are gearing up for the change over and the next generation consoles are the most interesting things to discuss. If someone acts really stupid in such a thread then fine, but I don't see anything wrong in being biassed towards one or another. People are entitled to their opinions regardless of what evidence they have to back them up with. This isn't a politics forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

evad_lhorg wrote:

You obviously don't understand what I mean. Discuss the merits of the different consoles all you like, I've no problem with that. As long as your arguments are based on facts and not some tribal loyalty.

Example of something banable: XBOX RULZ! PS2 IS TEH SUCK! PS OWNERS TAKE IT UP THE ASS!

Example of something not banable: The X-box 360 has superior graphics capabilties than the Atari Jaguar.

I hope this doesn't affect your "rights" and that you understand the kind of crap we're trying to prevent which, given the hype surrounding the launches of the various consoles, is only going to increase in the future.

I'm going to leave this thread open a while longer in case further clarification is required.

steviec wrote:
    I'm confused. "The Sims is crap" is an acceptable topic but "Console X is crap" is a bannable offence?
    Thats trolling, not fanboy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

Give someone a bit of power and look what happens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

"I prefer the Nintendo Gamecube because of the type of games available on it. I like playing Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil 4, and I think it's an excellent piece of hardware"
    "I prefer the XBox, it offers a wide variety of games that cater to my every need. I like to play Halo, and then a sports game, and use the console for emulation aswell"
    = good

"I like the Playstation 2, it's made by Sony, they rule"
    "OMG loolol you don't know what you're talking about, Nintendo is way better. NINTENDO FOREVER! People that like Playstations aren't gamers"
    = bad

Subtle difference, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

im guessing posting console x is crap because of its size/fetures/games/ etc would be fine
    posting console x is crap because "its not console y" / "console y is teh onezor!!!!!" / "console x is ghey" would not be

• Advertisement

Give someone a bit of power and look what happens!!!

What happens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

:rolleyes:

What a silly thread

Why?

I like this smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

amp wrote:

The funny thing is, that mostly it'll be fanboys reporting other fanboys, et al, dog eat dog:D

/edit: Below is an example.

X: "The playstation is slow" --> X gets reported by Z, saying he's a fanboy.

Z: "The DS has sh|t graphics" --> Z gets reported by X, saying he's a fanboy.

Have fun, amp.

the_syco wrote:
    The DS has sh|t graphics

post reported,
    fanboy

steviec wrote:
    Console X is crap
    omfg the xbox is crap? You are so reported my friend.

amp wrote:
    What happens!!!

You are being consumed by the dark side

omfg the xbox is crap?

you're lucky that's a question mark my friend otherwise you're ass would be reported!

oh yeah.

*watches everyone suspiciously*
    *points finger*

I'm onto you...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Amp, if you need someone to give you a hand with the regime(tm) I'd be happy to, for a start i'd be dealing with our friend Armen Tanzarian here and a few of the other spamtastical posters(CiaranC)

Its a good premtive idea amp, we've seen it with DS v PSP and XBOX/PS2/GC

• Advertisement

"regime" lol

Somebody forgot to take their anti-delusional pills this morning

CiaranC wrote:
    "regime" lol

Somebody forgot to take their anti-delusional pills this morning

He's obviously a fanboy. Someone cleanse the board of these monsters

koneko wrote:
    He's obviously a fanboy. Someone cleanse the board of these monsters
    amp fanboy?
    post reported.

Chalk wrote:
    amp fanboy?
    post reported.

Amp is a fanboy?
    Someone report him to a higher up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I wish to be part of this new regime too. Since the GC is obviously a piece of crap and Nintendo are destined to fail, all posters who praise the above should be banned now to save us effort late on..

Who is with me?

GC is obviously a piece of crap
    Nintendo are destined to fail,
    all posters who praise the above should be banned now

post reported x 3.

can i make 3 reports for one post in the new regime?

If this goes much further I think amp and his friends should go on trial for Board Crimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

This sticky is giving me a good giggle so far anyway:)

I'll stick to me PC!

Right, message seems to be understood enough for people to be trolling it, so as my granny use to say:

Thread locked.

• Advertisement

Sticky overload! I set this thread free. Fanboys will still be stomped on though, so don't get any ideas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement