Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best breakfast in Dublin City Centre ?

Options
  • 02-06-2005 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Am tired of microwaved anaemic bacon, and eggs that have been sitting under a hot lamp for an hour. Where does a really good freshly cooked fry/grill up in Dublin City ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

I've heard Graham O'Sullivan's on Dawson St is pretty good (corner of Dawson and Duke Street if my geography is right). I know a lot of lads who work on Dawson St and would be out boozing a lot and that's where they always head for breakfast the morning after!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Matt the rashers in crumlin is defo the best brekie in town by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭sailorboy

in malboro street behind clearys theres a litte cafe.. on the corner.. cheap clean and good food.
    and the waitress is a little spanish cracker too hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

The cafe kylemore on OConnnell street is up there too

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fattax

cafe sofia on wexford street is quite good, as is gerrys, just off camden street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

rainglow wrote:
    I've heard Graham O'Sullivan's on Dawson St is pretty good (corner of Dawson and Duke Street if my geography is right). I know a lot of lads who work on Dawson St and would be out boozing a lot and that's where they always head for breakfast the morning after!

I've been there when sober and it was horrible. They do keep everything under hot lamps for ages and everything was swimming in grease! Maybe I was in on a bad day but the thought of it still makes me feel sick!

There's a place on Lower Abbey St that does gorgeous breakfasts, they cook them as you're waiting and the service is great. Prices are reasonable too. I can't remember the name though! As you stand with your back to O'Connell St it's on your left not very far down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

The Alpha Cafe on the corner of Clarendon and Wicklow Streets. If it's still open.

Slightly off topic but the breakfast in the Mezzanine at Dublin Airport is fantastic if outrageously expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

alpha cafe? i think it might be a butlers now ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

Isn't that Butler's on the corner of Wicklow and South William streets?

Alpha might be gone though, been ages since I was there and the folks who ran it were pretty old and may have retired. It is/was on the first floor, opposite Tower Records.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

alpha is now a restaurant (Moraccan) boohoo!

Gerrys off camden street for a fry or the place beside the motorbike place on wexford street or hobarts in ranelagh is yer only man ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

The italian connection on talbot street!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

alpha is now a restaurant (Moraccan) boohoo!

Gerrys off camden street for a fry or the place beside the motorbike place on wexford street or hobarts in ranelagh is yer only man ;)
    It is a very nice Moroccan restaurant though... But I do remember being in there before it changed... and it was pretty good.

The Alpha, it makes me upset that it is gone. Where else in Dublin would you get Jelly & Custard? Spagetti Hoops on Toast? Bacon & Cabbage? rice Pudding?

True the Moraccan is good, but when they took over first they had the Moraccan restaurant on the 2nd floor and left the Alpha as it was, but now it's all gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

As title says
    try the breakie roll in Cristophs (sp?!) in the epicurian center off abbey st.
    They do them all day sat/sun, and up to 1 weekdays.

mhh I want one now!

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

I am well pissed with the conversion of Alpha into a Moroccan - surely there was some contravention of preservation laws there? I used to go there every Saturday morning, and can't believe what they ended up doing to the place.

My favourite brekkie place in Dublin right now is the Shack just opposite the Temple Bar Bar Temple Bar. Nice spot. Good food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

the best breakfast roll Ive had in a long time was from a little cafe run by an olw pair accross from the blackpits on patricks street. Lenards corner end.

Them two know how to cook a runny egg mmmm.

For sheer entertainment though, I recommend the fruit tree on Wexford street.
    The staff are mad. Best cappuchino in the area too....Just thought I'd add that.

Where is the place beside blackpitts??? It is the 'Ocras' place?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭Stark

pub on the corner of o'connell street and aston quay. Had the most gorgeous fry-up ever there the other day. Mmmm, I want more of it now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Where is the place beside blackpitts??? It is the 'Ocras' place?

oh god no, not that place. I wouldnt venture.
    This place is on clanbrassil street lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Cafe Sofia, just across the road from Whelans. OR quizzsub in stevens green centre!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

The Manhattan
    Classic... where the cabbies go in the middle of the night... and the home of 3 o'clock breakfast Dublin style... kidneys etc ... Pots of Tea the size ya haven't seen in years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Matt the Rashers on Sundrive Road in Crumlin. You get a savage full Irish for about a fiver.

Even the name tells you you're about to have the best fry up ever!!

bug wrote:

Is it the place opposite the MACE on Clanbrassil Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

the breakfast club.. at least i think thats what it is called... ranleigh..does the best breakfast in dublin...the oz cafe in cork before it changed the menu was the best down south...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

Swarfboy wrote:
    The Manhattan
    Classic... where the cabbies go in the middle of the night... and the home of 3 o'clock breakfast Dublin style... kidneys etc ... Pots of Tea the size ya haven't seen in years...
    Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

So what do you people like in your fry up? I usually go with:

2 Sausages
    2 Rashers
    1 White Pudding
    1 Fried Egg
    1 Potato Cake
    1 Corn Fritter(Like a thick pancake with corn)
    Baked Beans
    Toast
    Covered in Red and Brown Sauce.
    Cuppa Tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

I've had many a grand roll at ocras, nice coffee two. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Im told Eliza Blues on the quays near the millenium bridge do a lovely breakfast... never been myself but have friends from the country who go there everytime they visit dublin for their all day breakfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Odessa does some pretty good breakfast stuff, even if it is slightly up its own hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

stag39 wrote:
    the breakfast club.. at least i think thats what it is called... ranleigh..does the best breakfast in dublin

I'm not a fan of their breakfasts ... there's a place a few doors up [think it's called hobarts] that does a much better breakfast!!

There used to be a place in near Grafton st. called the Wed Wose Cafe :D ... the builder's breakfast was fantastic ... I went in there every Friday when I was in DIT on Aungier st. nyom

If you are in Dun Shaughlin, you've gotta try the breakfast in Fidelma's just across from the Fire Station ... I've yet to finish the small breakfast [& I'm a big b@stard :D] & it's well cheap too!

edit/

I forgot to mention this about Fidelma's ... I was in there about 2 weeks ago with the better half! She normally orders sausages & toast [which usually consists of 2 sausages & 2 slices of toast] ... She got 9 sausages & 4 slices of toast!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement