Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why are there so many idiots on the road?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Yea its alot nicer than around Dublin, or city life.

Exact same thing happened to me going down a huge hill last wk... nearly **** myself.. Almost tried the handbrake but the brakes came back just in time :)

Still alive and kickin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭She-Ra

steveland? wrote:
    It's much cheaper for girls unfortunately (I'm going to assume you are one... either that or you have an "ironic" name... or are confused easily) so us guys are likely to pay through the arse for insurance...

I've had my provisional for about a year and a half and I've only done a few lessons (3 or 4) cos I cba learning and not being able to afford insurance until I'm 25

Being a 19 year old male with a provisional licence is a baaaad bad combination...

Can't get insured on either of the parents cars either cos my mam's is new enough and would be far too expensive and my dad's is a merc so no chance of insurance on that...

Stupid Ireland...
    yeah.. i am (happily) a girl!
    and i dont think age matters much really.. im 23 and its stillbas, my friend is 25 and he's the one that pays 4 grAND

She-Ra wrote:
    yeah.. i am (happily) a girl!
    and i dont think age matters much really.. im 23 and its stillbas, my friend is 25 and he's the one that pays 4 grAND
    WOW 4grand??? Whats he driving ? Tell him to scout around he can deffo beat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hobbes wrote:
    Try More like every day

I'm not a know it all
    there is clearly people who have no clue on the road.
    I agree wholeheartedly... unfortunately I also had a driving instructor who had no clue... fecker turns around about 20 minutes into the lesson and goes "oh yeh, seat belt..." and puts his belt on...

On my first lesson he pulled two illegal u-turns on a main road and then the last time I went along he brought me to a turn where there was one of those island thingies poking out of the side of the road and a woman poking the nose of her car out at the junction... nearly shat myself goin around that corner and of course the poxy engine cut out during the turn and the momentum ended up pushing my up onto the island and meaning the feckin front wheel was up and it was hard as hell to turn it....

Auld eejit just goes to me "Hmm... what are you gonna do here..."

kjt wrote:
    Yea its alot nicer than around Dublin, or city life.

Exact same thing happened to me going down a huge hill last wk... nearly **** myself.. Almost tried the handbrake but the brakes came back just in time :)

Still alive and kickin'
    good stuff... i had to hand brake and then wait to be collected

• Advertisement

kjt wrote:
    WOW 4grand??? Whats he driving ? Tell him to scout around he can deffo beat that.
    ha! thats whats worse.. its a girly yaris

She-Ra wrote:
    ha! thats whats worse.. its a girly yaris
    Haha... guys driving Yaris' look hilarious..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

one question i have to ask is how the hell do 20 year olds drive those impreza's ans lancer evo's, there insurance must be well up to the 10 grand mark.

Id assume AXA and hibernian etc dont insure them since they said they dont do high powered cars for under 24's.

steveland? wrote:

Some ive seen wear buisness suits.

Sparky_S wrote:
    one question i have to ask is how the hell do 20 year olds drive those impreza's ans lancer evo's, there insurance must be well up to the 10 grand mark.

Id assume AXA and hibernian etc dont insure them since they said they dont do high powered cars for under 24's.
    Heh, mate of mine drove and Impreza (he's 33) which we used to go for "spins" in during breaks in work and he was telling me you need to be over 25 or something, have to have held a full licence for however many years and have to have had 3 cars before it or something along those lines for a high powered car like that...

Fat lot of good a rally car would do ya in Dublin though...

• Advertisement

steveland? wrote:
    Especially Pimped up 1's with the body kits and the like.

But honestly.. has he rang about... thats crazy (with a 'z').

They are either rich.. or daddy's in the insurance biz. An old friend of mine was driving an impreza... all done up for rally's and all at the age of 18. His dad was in the Insurance biz.

there is actually a yaris that i see about Tallaght that has a body kit and everything... tis totally stupid looking... but ya just Know he thinks he's the cheese lol

kjt wrote:
    They are either rich.. or daddy's in the insurance biz. An old friend of mine was driving an impreza... all done up for rally's and all at the age of 18. His dad was in the Insurance biz.

Or they know someone well on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the trick is to get the cheapest possible car to insure fully comp and then you are automatically insured 3rd party for any other car. either that or they have a pot ofgold in their back garden or something.

i've had a full licence for 11 years now, but this is the first time i've had my own car in ireland, and at 28 with 11 years full licence it's €400 cheaper for my g/f (on her 1st provisional) to be the main driver on the car than me!

it's insane. but what can you do?

I know this is going a little off topic but what is your insurance rate actually based on...

I would have thought it would be primarily based on the value of the car, with your age/experience taken into account and then raised depending on the likelyhood of someone in your age/experience range to damage another car based on the general behaviour of that group... but it just seems to be ludicrous amounts of money...

Also, I heard something about not being able to do a test in a Yariss cos of the dodgy dashboard... that true?

holy sh!T

steveland? wrote:
    I know this is going a little off topic but what is your insurance rate actually based on...

I would have thought it would be primarily based on the value of the car, with your age/experience taken into account and then raised depending on the likelyhood of someone in your age/experience range to damage another car based on the general behaviour of that group... but it just seems to be ludicrous amounts of money...

Also, I heard something about not being able to do a test in a Yariss cos of the dodgy dashboard... that true?

no this isn't true... my mam sat her test in a yaris and there wasn't a problem.. as for the insurance thing... i've not got a clue!

Its gender discrimination, just because we are men, were deemed racers.

just for the laugh if someone said they were GAY to the insurance company would they give them a quote between a woman and a mans quote price.

vibe666 wrote:
    i've had a full licence for 11 years now, but this is the first time i've had my own car in ireland, and at 28 with 11 years full licence it's €400 cheaper for my g/f (on her 1st provisional) to be the main driver on the car than me!
    That's outrageous... you don't get that sort of balls in most other countries...

Sparky_S wrote:

just for the laugh if someone said they were GAY to the insurance company would they give them a quote between a woman and a mans quote price.
    Call in for your quote in person and wear drag... although then they might think you're a drag racer...

/me awaits angry groans...

• Advertisement

If micheal shuhmacher (sp?) called in I wonder what they'd say.

Just watching an episode of Roadwars on Sky Mix and was thinking this is what we have to put up with on occasions.

Sparky_S wrote:

gender discrimination..... no its not.. Its based on how we drive comared to women and I'm sure they have many many many statistics to prove it.

And your other comment... omg omg omg so bad I laughed at ur gayness

steveland? wrote:
    Call in for your quote in person and wear drag... although then they might think you're a drag racer...

/me awaits angry groans...

ba-dum

kjt wrote:
    gender discrimination..... no its not.. Its based on how we drive comared to women and I'm sure they have many many many statistics to prove it.

And your other comment... omg omg omg so bad I laughed at ur gayness

Ohhh be nice. :D:D

kjt wrote:
    It depends how you look on it whether it's gender discrimination or not... you're getting a higher rate based on your gender...

ipso-facto, discrimination...

However, they do have the facts to back these things up but the way another man drives has no effect on how YOU drive...

The best system I've heard about is I think Allianz who let you take a test to determine how much your premium is reduced by depending on how well you drive...

Only works for people with full licences though so it's not much use for learners trying to get their foot in the door...

steveland? wrote:
    It depends how you look on it whether it's gender discrimination or not... you're getting a higher rate based on your gender...

ipso-facto, discrimination...

However, they do have the facts to back these things up but the way another man drives has no effect on how YOU drive...

The best system I've heard about is I think Allianz who let you take a test to determine how much your premium is reduced by depending on how well you drive...

Only works for people with full licences though so it's not much use for learners trying to get their foot in the door...

this sounds like the Hibernian 'ignition' course

Yea I heard that was a 3/4hr exam or sumfin??

Anybody done it?
    I'm thinking of doing it soon, + its also time to look around for some cheaper insurance too :D

Let the fun begin.

kjt wrote:
    Yea I heard that was a 3/4hr exam or sumfin??

Anybody done it?
    I'm thinking of doing it soon, + its also time to look around for some cheaper insurance too :D

Let the fun begin.
    my cousin done it... his 1st years insurance dropped by 500 yoyos

Nice, but afaik it's only for fully licenced drivers.... someone pleeeease prove me wrong

• Advertisement

She-Ra wrote:
    my cousin done it... his 1st years insurance dropped by 500 yoyos

Wow did'nt think it would drop so much, i just thought it would be on record with them so that they will be more "nicer" to you.

Advertisement