Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Repeating Series 1 Of '24' Next Week

• 02-06-2005 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Just a quick heads-up for fans of '24'. According to the RTE Guide, BBC 1 are repeating the first series of '24' starting next Friday night (the 10th) at 11.50pm. Kicking off with a double episode, midnight to 2am. According to the listing in the Guide, "Jack Bauer is told of a plot to assassinate a presidential candidate", which would make it series 1 alright. Plus the fact that they showed series 1 and 2 on the BBC. ;) Guess they must still have the rights to both those series, then. Hopefully they'll also repeat series 2 in the near future as well.

Might be a chance for people who've never watched the show before to see what all the hype is about and for those of us die-hard '24' fans to look back on when the show was still fresh and actually good! :D

I only started watching the show when there were about 6 or 8 episodes left of the first series, so it'll be good to actually see it all again right from the start.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

as still fresh and actually good!

Too right :( - stopped watching again this season, it's just unbearably tedious after about 15 episodes. I've hit this same wall every year after season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I've never seen the 1st half of season 1 so i'll finally get to see why Mandy's so significant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

OFDM wrote:
    I've never seen the 1st half of season 1 so i'll finally get to see why Mandy's so significant...
    cos she's naked a lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Watch It.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Woo, I didn't get to see Season One when it was screened on RTE (Leaving Cert messed it up), so now I'll get to see Season 1 of my previous favourite show (Lost is going to take up that position, I hope).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Series 1 was fantastic viewing, it had some glaring plot holes when you looked back on it, but it was just brilliant, they didn't have new plots introduced every week, there was no need to have huge cliffhangers at the end of every episode, it was just quality viewing.
    Oh, how 24 has deteriorated as of late :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Lol ye...
    teri's amnesia plot was so stupid
    but the rest of the season made up for it.

It has gone downhill,but It is still enjoyable.I enjoyed the first half of season 4,then it went dodgy in the middle,and the end is good again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

Season 2 was definitley the best of the whole lot I think.
    Some of the storyline's in season 1 were ridiculous, looking back on it now. Season 3 only started to liven up near the end but when it did it was worth watching. In fact, I would argue that that the last six or seven episodes of that series were the best ever.
    I've only seen the first seven episodes of series 4 so far (I live in four channel land) so I'll reserve judgement on it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It had 13 episodes of excellence, then began its drawn-out, extravagant fish-bouncing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Ahh season 1... memories.. I remember watching it before the X-Files on BBC2 when hardly anyone knew about it..
    Season 3 only started to liven up near the end
    I disagree!!! The first 10 eps were brilliant
    Jack breaking Ramon out of prison, the russian roulette scene, the helicopter flight over LA, The prisoners taking over the jail, Ramon taking Jack hostage, Jack pulling the trigger on chase, the "twist" with guyelle, etc!
    And yes that was all in the first 10 eps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Woohoo! i only saw season three and the current season four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Okay, okay, before anyone gives out to me, how was I supposed to know they were going to be showing highlights of the TT Races at 11.50? :D I was just going by what it said in the RTE Guide, okay?

On in about 5 minutes time, instead. Sorry about that, folks, but the announcer did say just before the TT highlights that it was a "late change to some advertised schedules" so I guess even the RTE Guide wouldn't have known.

Except my humble apologies! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Well I've never watched 24 before because season 2 or 3 was always on and i didnt want to watch it unless i seen i seen season 1 first. So i was flicking around trying to find something good and i just made it in time for the start it. I have to say i really enjoyed it. Its makes you want to watch the next ep which i'm sorry to say Lost doesnt do that.

I just hope i dont forget about next week. Its very cheap on DVD for a box set. €35 which is good for a top US show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yes season one of 24 is the best. Watch it. it will grip you.

Unlike the current series.

After watching the two episodes the other night, the thing that struck me the most was how different the look and feel of it was compared to later series'. For example, the inside of CTU seemed to look much brighter, so to speak, than in the following series'. The lighting wasn't as dark. And the way it was filmed looked different, too. At times it almost looked liked it was filmed on DV tape or something instead of the more "normal" looking film or tape or whatever it is that is usually used.

And in terms of the "feel" of it, it seemed a lot more "lighthearted" at times than in the folowing series'. I mean, Christ, Jack actually seemed HAPPY and even smiled a few times! :D That's something you certainly couldn't say about the following series'. Though, I suppose this was all before the end of this first series and the events that transpire to change him. ;)

As the old song goes, "what a difference a day makes. 24 little hours!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

CTU looked like a single office with a stairs going up to a smaller office. It looked so cheap and tacky! lol obviously it was the first season and it wasnt a hit yet so the budget wasnt great,but when you compare it to season 2 and 3 and then 4,season 1's CTU looks terrible :P

I don't know about that, tvnutz, I kind of liked the look of CTU there the other night. :D

Another thing I noticed the other night which you very rarely, if ever, see in the following series' is the fact we saw a couple of external shots of CTU. The only time I think we ever really saw an external shot in series 2, 3 and 4 is usually a rooftop scene when they're getting into a helicopter or something. We never really get a clear shot of CTU otherwise. From the outside, CTU looked pretty much like a standard office building the other night, apart from the massive satellite dish on the roof which tended to give it away to anyone passing by as it being something more important and government run! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Another thing I noticed the other night which you very rarely, if ever, see in the following series' is the fact we saw a couple of external shots of CTU.
    I noticed that too! I expected it to be a lot......different, heh. :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of Season One. I loved Season Two (*) and although I found the beginning of Season Three pretty weak, it really picked up after
    Jack went to the Salazar's ranch (or whatever it was)
    in my opinion. I haven't seen Season Four (travelling home on Friday evenings, and I keep missing it on SKY. I will see it before too long though.

(*) My second favourite moment up to now in 24 is the conversation between Kim and Jack
    before he flys to his firey "death".
    My favourite moment is at the very end of Season Two. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The first season looked better and the sound track wasn't half as annoying. Great characters like Nina, Cherry and (**** forgot the name of the Girl in the first series who killed herself, not to give it away)

Also what ever happened Mandy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

ah cheers for this

never watched 24 this shall be my chance to begin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Holy sh*t...
    I watched this last night (missed last week) and like other's have said, it looks so new and fresh. The camera work is great; looks like they've used a very high frame rate or something.
    The incidental music was also done a lot better than of late.

Now I saw this 4 years back when it first aired; didn't miss a single episode, but I was amazed watching the 2 eps last night at the stuff I actually missed.

CTU looked a lot better then...more believable somehow. We had none of the god awful techno-jargon bullsh*t that pervded through S4.
    Also the multiple screesn effect was much better done; faster, more screens, faster "ticking" of the clock.

I think the producers need to get over their success and go back and take a look at the S1 again....then go away and do S5 with the same production values and if possible, scripts and plot. Tough call I know, but if they just keep doing with the show, what they did in S4, it's gon=ing to get increasingly lame and tired...
    So much better on BBC too...ads ruin the flow IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

By chance once again i caught 24 but i will make sure to watch it next week because the 2 on BBC on friday were brilliant. I really cant wait until the next ep. There are so many things going on and you dont know who is behind what. I'm only disappointed i have been watching this when it started a few years back. And yes, the fact that there are no breaks makes it much better to watch. Kind of like a DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wertz wrote:
    I think the producers need to get over their success and go back and take a look at the S1 again....then go away and do S5 with the same production values and if possible, scripts and plot.
    So much better on BBC too...ads ruin the flow IMO...

Yep Season 1 was the business and on BBC. Is there really a season 5 coming up ? :eek: 4 was dreadful, even suffering it for two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

is_that_so wrote:
    Yep Season 1 was the business and on BBC. Is there really a season 5 coming up ? :eek: 4 was dreadful, even suffering it for two weeks.

So it seems...others have posted details.

Anyways;
    *reminder bump*
    Hours 5 & 6 tonight @ 11.35

Advertisement