Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptops & Graphic/Web Design

• 02-06-2005 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I need a PC laptop for Graphic/Web Design and am not sure what's the best to go for as regards graphics memory. (BTW it has to be a PC unfortunately... sorry Apple!). Is shared memory a bad thing even if you have 512MB or 1GB RAM?

What kind of specs would I need considering I'm only going to be doing mostly hand coding + Photoshop work and maybe some small Flash.

Anybody else in the same position? What laptop did you go for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I need a PC laptop for Graphic/Web Design and am not sure what's the best to go for as regards graphics memory. (BTW it has to be a PC unfortunately... sorry Apple!). Is shared memory a bad thing even if you have 512MB or 1GB RAM?

What kind of specs would I need considering I'm only going to be doing mostly hand coding + Photoshop work and maybe some small Flash.

Anybody else in the same position? What laptop did you go for?

I do work in Photoshop, Flash llustrator and a bit of After Effects. I was looking for a laptop that would let me "take the office on the road" (excuse the phrase) and I went for the Gericom laptop that Aldi had recently.

Haven't had a chance to test it but judging by the spec it should be well able to handle a 300dpi photoshop images etc.

Suppose RAM is the biggest consideration with Photoshop. I'll post back when I've put it through its paces, probably next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

I do lots of photoshopping, on my P4 2.53ghz laptop thats currently for sale, its got shared memory 64mb is for the graphics, and really the shared memory makes little difference as its next to nothing. In fact the laptop I have out proforms the more powerful and well speced PC that replaces it in all but the largest of canvases in PSP etc. So if photoshop is really the most demanding thing you do then dont worry about shared graphics, most of them can be set to use less anyway. Mine as I dont play games is set to 32mb so I get the most from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Thanks folks! So basically what you're saying is shared memory is more than ok for Photoshop work. And in fact I can reduce its allocation if I need.

This makes it a lot easier when buying my laptop now cos that was one of my biggest concerns!! Cheers.

Advertisement